Path of the Changer

Changer

Even though I've not waited for advice, here's what I finally came up with. Rakarth base, then Ushabti Bone. Sepia wash then highlighted up from ushabti through screaming skull and white dot highlights.

Not 100% happy with the horns, but they may look better in the morning. Plus I'll learn more when I do the next one and the one after that etc etc...

IMG_2514.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2517.JPG

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Looks very nice. I think the pale bone color harmonizes very well with the gold and yellow you have chosen, without blending in to much.

Coincidentially, I've been searching for a recipe for bone and your result looks very close to what I am looking for. Are you ok if I copy you there, when the time comes?

To quote Oscar Wilde: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

By all means copy away.  Part of the reason why I come here to post my work is to give ideas to those that see it, in the same way that I take inspiration from everything that I see on this forum and beyond!

14 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

These look fantastic, you should be proud! I really am curious as to your skin recipe, apologies if you have mentioned it before in your ST work.

Thanks for your feedback - I am proud of it (so far).  Credit where credit is due, the main colour ideas come from @Mengel Miniatures and his incredible tutorial on the Silver Tower Tzaangor (available here).

The skin is:

Fenrisian Blue

Drancanhof Nightshade mixed with Lahmian Medium to thin it down.

Fenrisian Blue again.

Blended Fenrisian Blue and Screaming Skull, gradually adding more Screaming Skull to the mix and blending the highlights to smaller and smaller areas.

Then finally a glaze of Drancanhof Nightshade (thinned a lot) to adjust the highlights back to blue again.

And just for reference, my purple is pretty much the same, just with less highlights on.  Then, lots (and lots) of thinned down Druchii Violet, gradually blending in with the blue, and then a few coats of Druchii Violet that hasn't been thinned.  Then, at the ends of the tentacles, I've added a few coats of Screamer Pink thinned with medium (I've made a pot of it because I'll be using it for the Pink Horrors).

Looking at the images, this model isn't 'quite' done - I want to black out the inside of the mouth, and add a little red wash around the eyes.  You may also notice the bright yellow part on the shield. When the Tzeentch / Arcanites / Tzaangor book is finally released for AoS I'll be adding symbols to areas such as this (and the banner etc...) to denote who / what my force belongs to, similar to how the Fyreslayers have different lodges, and the Slyvaneth have different groves.  It could be that I make up my own symbol, but I want to wait for some background before I add details such as this. 

@Changer Awesome, that looks great! Glad my tutorial was helpful. I'm honestly eyeing the rest of my Tzaangor right now to maybe finish (all the skin on them is already done anyway) for the inevitable Tzeentch Battletome release.

Your army is an inspiration! I think I may switch my guy to having dark blue armor now too. 

As for the horns, maybe you could do the transition to a darker color at the tips like I did on mine? I think it needs something to break up the color a bit. Either darker at the tips or the base.

8 hours ago, Changer said:

Yeah I may give this a go.  What's the general consensus for going darker on this type of horn, darker at the roots or the tips?  Is there a reason for either or is it just artistic?

For my mournfang I did the champion opposite for the effect. It subtle enough that people don't really notice. But when you put the mournfang on the table without a rider, people seem to notice. Also I chose to do tips darker as they tend to be so in nature (I'm guessing because the tips are the oldest parts of the horn.) 

I've finished the second Tzaangor this morning. I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out, especially the horns. The new models are just a joy to paint.

The images aren't the best, the light isn't that good today. I'm going to wait until I've got 5-6 of these done before I knock up some bases for them. 2 down, 24 to go!

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

37 minutes ago, Changer said:

That's fair enough. I've gone for the black beak because that's what I've done on the Herald and Tweak. I like it as it's not bright and doesn't detract from the rest of the model.

Personally I think the black beaks make them more sinister, so good call in my opinion. More raven, less parrot.

I've Brenna on a bit of a painting mission this weekend, and now I've finished the third Tzaangor. I'm really happy with how this one came out, especially the feathers on the back - they're not perfect, but as these models are just going to be line troops (and only 7pts each in 40k) they don't really warrant spending tens of hours on. 

Apologies for the poor photos, I'll look at taking some better ones including a few group shots in the next few days.

Next up is a Tzaangor with dual axes. These models are simply a joy to paint.

Edit: I've just noticed I haven't painted his teeth!! Oops. That's a job for tomorrow.

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

The shields are really really nice. Plus I've got loads of spares.

More work done on the forth Tzaangor this evening. The blue has been shaded and had the base coat reapplied. The gold has been based and shaded. The plan is to get this one done in the next few days and then hopefully get the four based and varnished before Christmas.

I feel like I've really gotten into a rhythm with these Tzaangors. Praise to Tzeentch for such lovely models!

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

More updates tonight. After looking again at the horns of the last Tzaangor I've decided to redo the horns on the first Tzaangor. The fade effect looks a lot better now than the solid bone colour that I'd previously done. Also, after seeing the leaks today with the Tzaangor and the acolytes, I've added a thinned glaze of purple over the weapons of the three Tzaangors I've already completed. It's not much, but in a certain light you catch a hint of purple.

As for number four, I've completed both the metals and the blue armour, and the yellow and bone have both been given a sepia shade. If I can get a couple of hours tomorrow this one should then be done, if not it'll be Thursday. Not sure I'll have enough time this week to get them all based, but four Tzaangors in less than 2 weeks will be good going for me. I'm really happy with the overall quality too.

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

8 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

Gotta agree with Joe, with these new releases coming I will A: be doing an army, and B: be bombarding you with questions :P Would you ever consider doing the tzaangors flesh in a yellow or pink? Just curious as to how you would approach it.

I probably wouldn't end up doing the entire flesh in a different colour; I'm quite liking that the skin tone matches that of the Gaunt Summoner.  I'm thinking of adding some variation in the colours of the mutations though.  I've pretty much stuck with Purple at the moment, but I may branch out into hues of blue and red / pink.  I'll probably also look at varying the hair colours on future Tzaangors a little.

As for yellow; this is the spot colour I'm using for cloth and eyes, so I don't think this will spread through to flesh - although I have been using it for the hair and fur so far on the Tzaangors.

Archived