The Forests of Death - Building to the AoS Doubles Tournament

Melcavuk

My girlfriend and I intend to enter the Warhammer World doubles AoS tournament in march, we each settled on Sylvaneth for our armies however my need to be unique has led me to decide to heavily convert mine.

Owing to the overwhelmingly "don't do it" response to my previous conversion ideal to count as Sylvaneth I've taken to the more cautious route of using the Treelord himself as the basis for my theme and gone from there. Presenting a Treelord Ancient from the realm of Death, in the beginning there was accord between the gods in Sigmar realm and that accord was thus "All that is living must one day die, and yet without life there can be no Death" and by this accord Alarielle and Nagash were thus bound. All things, even her Sylvaneth must abide by the cycle of Life and Death, to this date there are still some of her fallen Ancients in the service to the god of Death.

Aiming for spooky forest vibes

IMG_3503.jpg.bcffb998811220307dbde7198af72352.jpgIMG_3505.jpg.663f97b45774faad9a0d483947929431.jpgIMG_3507.jpg.9ac1ec2d05c437db9b7df104e1f8ee40.jpgIMG_3509.jpg.cbbf98c667f6a0829acba4a1d9becce6.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, working on the backstory for the army now!

It is the arrogance of the inhabitants of Ghyran that leads to the assumption that life cannot prosper in the realms of Shyish, that the no living creature could find home and peace in a realm outside of their own limited perceptions. To such small minded beings the realm of death would be but a barren landscape, devoid of flora or fauna where everything simple wastes away. This however is provenly untrue, the rich and diverse landscape of Shyish boasts many civilizations who pay homage to the Lord of All, Nagash. Indeed in his domains forests can be found bursting into splendour amongst the jagged rock faces and rivers alike, one such forest lingers deep on the eastern fringes of his domain amongst the broken shards of the realms mountainous border.

Those who know of this forest call it by many names, The Grove Sanguine, the Weeping Oaks and other such colourful descriptions of that which they cannot truly understand. The trees within stand tall and defiant, their blackened bark splitting into fissures in places, glowing as though the embers of a dying fire, should one carve into such a tree its sap flows warm and rich in the deep hues of blood. Their jagged leaves form a canopy to drown out any light reaching the ground below, razor sharp with wickedly protruding tips they glint as though metallic in the moonlight of the realm, rippling visages of trapped souls racing across their form.

For that is the true horror of the Weeping Oaks, those that enter the forest may not leave it, neither in life nor death will the forest release its treasures. In times of true need the local villages come to the northmost edge of the forest, dragging with them sacrafices both animal and man alike. When the moon reaches its summit they sink ritual blades deep into the hearts of their sacrafices, letting the crimson blood flow downhill into the forest below. Should their sacrafice be considered worthy the forest will heed their request, marching forth in defense of the domains of Nagash.

Old Rhyme of Shyish – The Forests Call – Rumoured to be a summoning rite used in times of war when a village is in desperate need of aid from the forests.

Head of Ram, from forest deep.
Heart of Soldier, who stormed the keep.
Eyes of Sage that wisdom saw,
Tongue of poet who speaks no more.
And bring the pure, the young of years
To birth the monster darkness fears.

018.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

024.JPG

Basing work started to give context to the environment from which the Trees of Death march forth, everything in the realm of death is tied to the very cycle of life unto death. Those who perish in the realm are left at the forests edge so that the plants may feast upon that which they no longer require, rivers of blood permeate the dirt of the forest, crimson weeds springing up around them.

018.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

024.JPG

After about a week and a bits work the Treelord Ancient is pretty much complete (or atleast TT standard) meaning I can move onto my Kurnoth hunters next. When the whole army is painted I may revisit the skulls to up the contrast more, and when my lightbox arrives I'll be able to get better photos but here he is:

The fluff for the staff is that trees in Shyish are unable to raise new forests of their own magics, the realm of death does not buckle to the will of new life so easy. Instead their staves are carved from the still living remains of a Sylvaneth of Ghyran, its pulsing heart fuelling the staff and allowing the Shyish Lord to raise forests from it.

003.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

011.JPG

Continueing the creepy dead theme for my Sylvaneth doubles army I've started on my first battleline units (Tree Revenants). Originally I intended to use the Human or Avian skulls for these but the Beastmen ones just fitted the dead creatures of the forest aspect better to my eye.

IMG_3605.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

5 minutes ago, Thundercake said:

where did the skulls for the hunters come from? the skull pack?

Yup barring the lord all the skulls are from the £15 pack. Unfortunately I’ve exhausted the cool ones from mine so now need to buy a Swcond one

Archived