Weirdnob Shaman - Power of the Waaagh! - How do you play this?

Chris Tomlin

Weirdnob Shaman - Power of the Waaagh! - How do you play this?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. "However, if the casting or unbinding roll was double, then the closest Orruk unit within 10" suffers D3 mortal wounds" - How do you play this?

• The Shaman takes the D3 mortal wounds as he is always the closest Orruk unit to himself.
    • The closest Orruk unit other than the Shaman takes the D3 mortal wounds.

14 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Afternoon all,

I'm just intrigued to see how my fellow Ironjawz players are playing this rule. I have always played it one way and one way only (actually I may have got it wrong for the very first few games tbh before noticing the quirk!), which is the first option. In my mind this is 100% correct and not even up for debate (regardless of intent) as we know a model is always within range of itself.

However I was just wondering if anyone plays it differently. My above comments are not meant to influence voting and I would ask that you respond honestly. Please post your thoughts if you do allocate the mortal wounds to another unit other than the Shaman. I have seen some comments on the forum referring to this, so I know there are players out there doing it :) 

Chris

Raw is very clear unfortunately, though i don't begrudge people who play it RAI just understand that at events he has to hit himself.

2 hours ago, Orruk'sPizza said:

In the italian warscroll there isnt any interpretation problem ..i cant explain the gramatical and words meaning , because my english is not good..but the rules say d3 wounds to orruks unit not the shaman himself . 

As in the shaman can never injure himself? That's really useful information and definitely warrants asking GW for an FaQ.

To be fair, the only reason it is an issue if because of the FAQ that a model is "always in range of itself", which is a fine ruling, but causes issues like this to pop up.  Hence why we need a clarification if "closest" also includes "itself".

1 minute ago, Sangfroid said:

English is a notoriously bad language for this kind of thing, which I find even more embarrassing when my European cousins  can often speak it better than most of my fellow English people! 

Which is why we should all be advocating the use of programming syntax to write our gaming rules, using phrases such as IF/ELSE, FOR EACH, WHILE, etc.  Sure, it can make the rules be a bit more clunky to read, but it can help cut down on the confusion.

On 9/21/2017 at 1:00 AM, Gumbalina said:

I have used the ability the same way as option 1 but if in base contact with another unit which would count as the closest?

Normal precident is the owner chooses which means to me he has to hold hands to not kill himself

Yeah, I've thought that too.  Even if it does include him, if you have some Ardboyz in base to base, they are both exactly 0" away, so you would get to choose.

On 9/21/2017 at 12:47 AM, Sangfroid said:

basically "within x inches" to me includes the model because in my head it's an imaginary circle x" in radius around the point of origin (so the Megaboss waaagh abilty includes the Megaboss) 

whereas "the closest x unit" to me is a linear descriptive so essentially point A to point B (or in case of multiple options which point is closer to A, Point B or Point C and so on...) therefore it cannot be the shaman in this instance because it the distance between 2 distinct points. 

This is exactly what I'd always thought, without ever having been able to put it so clearly (even to myself, in my own head).  

Thank you Sangfroid!

Morning all,

Sorry missed the back end of this conversation through illness last week.

Some very interesting responses, most notably regarding the Italian and German translations. I think I will send an e-mail off today or tomorrow with a view to getting this added to the FAQs.

Thanks for all the input and for once again showing that we as a sub forum excel at keeping topics friendly even when people have different opinions/interpretations (hence me posting it here and not in the Rules Q sub forum!).

Archived