Moving hordes of models around the battletable more efficiently

Groomy

5 minutes ago, tom_gore said:

I have all my models magnetized (originally for transportation) and am getting magnetic sheets to use as "movement trays". Have to experiment a bit how much I can texture/paint the surface on the sheet before the magnets aren't effective anymore.

The best part of this solution is that the models don't have any fixed positions on the sheet, so I can place them in a true skirmish fashion while still being able to move them in bulk when needed.

Tried this and found the movement trays easier.

I was also thinking it is about the speed and quick decision making of you that will impact on the games too. I have played games where I have had 100-160 models and my turns have been quicker than my opponents who were running elite small armies!

Just now, 13on2D6 said:

Tried this and found the movement trays easier.

I was also thinking it is about the speed and quick decision making of you that will impact on the games too. I have played games where I have had 100-160 models and my turns have been quicker than my opponents who were running elite small armies!

Ok. What did you find awkward with the magnetic sheets?

A few reasons-

Practicality - I had some thin metal in various shapes and the bigger ones were awkward to position around terrain, it lacked the flexibility of the small 5 model skirmish bases and weren't as easy to handle. (Also I am useless so had sharpish edges lol

Look- In my view looked poor compared to the movement trays

Piling in and moving off tray - This was harder as had to 'unstick' the magnets as opposed to just moving the model off the tray

Cheers

Rich

8 hours ago, Tidings said:

@karch@chord@someone2040 I try to make my movement trays an extension of my figures. When I charge or am charged I just quickly move them off the tray and set it aside. Really speeds up the game tbh. Here's a couple pics

fOR6Sk2.jpg

zvt1Lle.jpg

mHj39q1.jpg

These look great. Is the texture sand or a citadel base paint? I'd like to do this but a lot of my models are based with agrellan earth and I'm not sure it would adhere. Maybe an under coat would fix

4 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

These look great. Is the texture sand or a citadel base paint? I'd like to do this but a lot of my models are based with agrellan earth and I'm not sure it would adhere. Maybe an under coat would fix

Give the MDF a good spray of varnish or sealer (PlasitKote Clear Sealer) first and it'll adhere without any issues.  I've done this numerous times and it soaks into the MDF and then hardens off giving a pretty decent finish

1 hour ago, TerrorPenguin said:

I just spread the Devlin Mud stuff all over it, the dry brush it, then put my toppings of choice on. Haven't treated the trays first and so far everything is surviving weekly play without issue!

I do sometimes get frustrated with large unit movement, I thought of this as soon as large units were announced. It can take a LONG time. But after trying rank and file games. I found movement really boring, and a MASSIVE  part of the strategy for me is movement/pile in. To enhance buffs and attacks/defence. I honestly thought rank and file would be for me, but AOS changed that for :). 

15 minutes ago, Tidings said:

I just spread the Devlin Mud stuff all over it, the dry brush it, then put my toppings of choice on. Haven't treated the trays first and so far everything is surviving weekly play without issue!

Agrellan Earth is one of the crackle paints, so might not work as in the same way as a regular texture paint.  It might actually work better in fairness, but it'd be worth trying out on a test piece of MDF

3 hours ago, 13on2D6 said:

A few reasons-

Practicality - I had some thin metal in various shapes and the bigger ones were awkward to position around terrain, it lacked the flexibility of the small 5 model skirmish bases and weren't as easy to handle. (Also I am useless so had sharpish edges lol

Look- In my view looked poor compared to the movement trays

Piling in and moving off tray - This was harder as had to 'unstick' the magnets as opposed to just moving the model off the tray

Cheers

Rich

Oh, right. I'm going to use 2mm thick magnetic rubber sheet, which is flexible and can be cut in the desired shape by normal scissors. I also hope to be able to paint and texture the surface to match the basing of my models to make it look better.

I'll let you know once I get the sheets. If I've understood right the magnets in the bases actually stick to this material with less force than straight up iron/steel. Could help to alleviate the 'unstick' problem.

This thread broke me and I finally got some AoS movement and skirmish trays to move my Free People around on. Now that I really have motivation to bring 150 man hordes, I need better ways to move them. I went with the litko.net trays, I think I got 25mm horde trays and 20mm square skirmish ones for my handgunners, since I haven't rebased them yet.

Archived