Ironjawz vs Tzeentch Skirmish Battle Report 2

Hallo again!

This is the battle report for the second game in the narrative campaign from the Age of Sigmar: Skirmish book. I took a lot more pictures in this one, so be sure to have a read through and a look at what went down.

After a resounding loss in the previous game, my fledgling warband was going into this one on the back foot. Thankfully, an underspend on my initial purchase of models when I formed my warband meant I had enough to dump 9 Renown on a Gore-Grunta for my Ironjawz, which I was hoping would pack some much-needed punch and durability. I also now had an artefact which would provide me a 5+ save against mortal wounds, specifically those from the Arcane Bolt spam from my opponent's Gaunt Summoner.

Game 2 in the narrative campaign was Treasure Hunt. We set up our five treasure caches, one slap-bang in the middle of the board, and the other four 12'' from that point in each direction. The idea is, that at the end of your movement phase, if you're within 3'' of a cache, you roll a D6. On a 6, that cache is an artefact, and the player at the end of the game who controls the most artefact caches is the winner. Anyway, we went straight ahead and got deploying.

20170529_135241.jpg.c6c0a6f850d15a4c147c392a50adbf8f.jpg

I deployed my four models, Warchanter Gobrot, Warpigg (Gore-Grunta), Wakka (Ardboy Boss) and Choppa (Brute Boss) facing across the table ready to sprint for the caches. You can see the first three diagonally in front; a third is to the left in the ruins with the fourth across town.

Paul, meanwhile, decided to deploy entirely behind a hedge and some cursed ruins, because why not. Pretty much every scenery roll this game ended up with everything being cursed, apart from some emboldening ruins by my deployment zone, and some crumbling hills off in the corner.

20170529_135258.jpg.0e8d3887b9d9f7fe27fca7e372a00ded.jpg

The Tzeentchian warband deployed behind the hedge and ruins. They returned for this game reinforced, with the Gaunt Summoner leading two Kairic Acolytes, two Tzaangors and a Tzaangor with Savage Greatblade. The latter turned out to be an illegal choice, since he didn't have enough Tzaangors to meet the minimum criteria for taking a Greatblade, but we didn't realise until the end of the day.

BATTLEROUND 1 - TURN 1 IRONJAWZ

It was me going first this time, and I wasted no time in going for the caches. My main aim was to avoid line of sight with the Gaunt Summoner as much as possible, hopefully find some artefact caches on my side of the board, and then force Paul's fragile Tzeentch to come to me so I could batter them in close combat. The townhouses provided good cover, so I tried to utilise my destruction moves in my hero phase to good effect.

20170529_135727.jpg.c6c31c135952a5af4da0d8edf30691d4.jpg

I swung around to the left with Warchanter Gobrot and Warpigg, using the house as cover. I was hoping Paul would be stupid enough to run to his cache, where I could charge him and eliminate a couple of models before dashing back behind cover and away from the Gaunt Summoner's Arcane Bolts. Choppa's destruction rolls were ******, as was his run roll, so he managed a measly 6'' that turn.

At the end of my movement phase I rolled a D6 for the closest treasure cache, next to Wakka. Boom! A 6 revealed an artefact, and the game was on - Paul, however, had a lot of Orcs to try and fight through before he could get to me. I'd have to wait and see what his game plan was and react accordingly, as other artefacts could turn up, after all.

BATTLEROUND 1 - TURN 2 TZEENTCH

The Gaunt Summoner gave a nearby Tzaangor a quick Mystic Shield, and unable to hit any Orcs with offensive spells, left it at that. Immediately the Tzaangor chief headed off to my right, aiming for the uncontested cache in the town that was out of my reach. A Kairic Acolyte stayed nearby the Gaunt Summoner, whilst the Tzaangor with Savage Greatblade and other Tzaangor headed for the courtyard cache the other side of the board to me. A D6 roll revealed no artefact, but there was always next turn and a second look. Unable to shoot or charge, that was Paul's turn up and it was on to Battleround 2.

20170529_135819.jpg.bb4287addff1688bcafccd63fd97508f.jpg

The Gaunt Summoner stays behind the hedge with a Kairic Acolyte bodyguard. The Tzaangor chief can be seen peering around the building on the right, and the other two Tzaangors and remaining Acolyte can be seen sprinting off to the left to capture the cache.

BATTLEROUND 2 - TURN 1 IRONJAWZ

Gobrot gave Warpigg +1 to hit and wound in anticipation of the Tzaangor's arrival in Paul's next turn, and then shuffled to the right and out of the impending combat. Choppa finally made it into the town, and rolling on the cache revealed nothing. This meant we were still on one cache, and it was in my control. All I had to do was hold it, so I left Warpigg to hold the left flank whilst remaining out of view of the Gaunt Summoner's potential 4 mortal wounds per turn for as long as possible.

20170529_141251.jpg.ee8dbb468d177405c179373bafd3898d.jpg

Gobrot's mob defend their treasure caches, waiting for the Tzeentch warband to arrive and have a punch-up.

BATTLEROUND 2 - TURN 2 TZEENTCH

The Gaunt Summoner again fired off a Mystic Shield, and moved his two Tzaangors towards Warpigg and Warchanter Gobrot, figuring that he really had no choice but to get stuck in to some brutal melee. The Gaunt Summoner, too, made a move to get a better line of sight onto the Gore-grunta. His other Tzaangor, the chief, captured the alley cache and revealed no artefact, whilst a second search of the courtyard cache by a Kairic Acolyte revealed nothing.

20170529_140255.jpg.adaa47643d555bc158249d91a268d6f0.jpg

The Tzaangor Chief takes the alley cache, revealing sweet FA.

20170529_140258.jpg.39067e0f643edcb80182f5414e7ef723.jpg

The Gaunt Summoner and his Kairic Acolyte sidekick head for a better line of sight to start setting the Gore-grunta on fire with scumbag magic.

Paul moved his Tzaangors into charge range, and the ranged attacks began - first from a Kairic Acolyte's spell which had no effect, and then from the Gaunt Summoner's staff, which went off and cost Warpigg a wound.

20170529_140250.jpg.e099b248d212bcacf0c6448f97edfcc8.jpg

The Tzaangors come howling and shrieking down the side of the town hall, keen to get stuck into Warpigg.

A successful charge, and combat ensued. The duel-wielding Tzaangor did nothing to Warpigg, who promptly caved his head in and took him out the fight. The Mystic Shielded Greatblade, however, stuck it out and knocked another wound off Warpigg with his savage beak attack, though lost a wound himself prior to that from the Grunta's attacks. At the end of the Battleround, Warpigg was still in the fight.

BATTLEROUND 3 - TURN 1 TZEENTCH

Paul won the roll-off, and decided to consolidate his forces somewhat. The Gaunt Summoner used Mystic Shield in an effort to keep the Greatblade alive, and as a second spell managed to get a 2 wound Arcane Bolt off at Warpigg, taking him down to a single wound. I was sure he'd be a goner in the next combat phase, with the Greatblade attacking first. At the end of the movement phase, the Kairic Acolyte finally revealed an artefact - it was 1-1 now, and the race was on to either wipe each other out or find new artefacts to control.

20170529_141258.jpg.9dbf50a1f3efaf2c66354f20026bf019.jpg

The Tzaangor Savage Greatblade and Warpigg battle it out next to the cursed town hall.

Turn 3 for Tzeentch was blighted by terrible shooting rolls, all of which failed to wound, leaving Warpigg barely alive on his 1 wound. When it came to the combat phase, the Savage Greatblade failed to do any damage whatsoever, and just as I was sure I was going to finish off the Tzaangor, I managed to roll all 1s to hit - with everything. Sigh.

BATTLEROUND 3 - TURN 2 IRONJAWZ

In order to increase my chances of getting another artefact, I sent Choppa off to the alley cache to take on the lone Tzaangor. If I could knock him out the battle, and reveal an artefact there, Paul wouldn't be able to reach it in two turns and I'd be holding two. It was ambitious, but worth it if it went as planned. A great destruction move roll for Choppa meant he ploughed 10'' across the board at the end of the movement phase, leaving him an 8'' charge to get in combat with the Tzaangor. Thankfully, I pulled it off, and Choppa went off on his own personal Waaagh! against the Tzaangor.

In the combat phase, I was forced to attack with Warpigg before I could use Choppa. With only 1 wound remaining, I needed to attack with him before I inevitably lost him to the Savage Greatblade. Sure enough, he battered the Tzaangor in short order, and remained in the fight. Choppa, of course, lost a wound to the Tzaangor chief before battering him to death and capturing the cache. To round it off, a Kairic Acolyte was lost to a battleshock test, leaving one Acolyte on the artefact under Tzeentch control, and the Gaunt Summoner.

20170529_142258.jpg.ccbef04c02bba1cc858d8301ebd36688.jpg

Choppa capturing the alley cache.

BATTLEROUND 4 - TURN 1 TZEENTCH

Paul again won the roll-off. The Gaunt Summoner failed to manifest an Arcane Bolt, but threw a Mystic Shield on the Acolyte, then chose to move across to the hills to gain line of sight on the entire Orc warband. It seemed Paul was going to settle for a draw, unless he could Arcane Bolt Wakka, who was controlling my artefact, in the fifth battleround.

20170529_142247.jpg.9f537bd64eed98d2cfb6b20803544be4.jpg

The Gaunt Summoner finally gets involved, heading out to get to higher ground.

BATTLEROUND 4 - TURN 2 IRONJAWZ

I decided it was time Warpigg made a move on the artefact controlled by Tzeentch, so I moved him towards the lone Kairic Acolyte. Unfortunately I rolled a 1 when doing my cursed ruins check, suffered a mortal wound on Warpigg, and sighed deeply as he was removed from play before he could do anything. Saved the Gaunt Summoner a job, at least. Sh*t.

Choppa's roll on the treasure revealed nothing, meaning he had one more turn to try and roll a 6, or I could put him to better use. In a surprise twist, however, Gobrot rolled a 6 when searching for an artefact, and meant I was now in control of two - a major kick in the teeth for Paul, who had a very realistic chance of losing unless he could pull something together. I, on the other hand, was determined to secure my victory next turn.

BATTLEROUND 5 - TURN 1 IRONJAWZ

Winning the roll-off, I used a destruction move on my remaining units. Gobrot and Wakka shuffled into cover, avoiding line of sight with the Gaunt Summoner as best as possible whilst remaining in range of the artefacts. Choppa had a great roll, followed up with his normal movement, putting my well in range of the lone Kairic Acolyte on Paul's artefact cache. I was going to kill the Acolyte and secure all three artefacts, leaving Paul with no way of winning and earning me some tasty renown.

The charge went off, and I piled in and killed the Acolyte with ease. Boom. Don't you love it when a plan comes together? All three artefacts were mine, and there was no way there could be any other outcome than a crushing defeat.

20170529_142807.jpg.8ea0c0d1302fb53493da99efcd5d5d25.jpg

Choppa arrives at the artefact, having just slaughtered an Acolyte. The Gaunt Summoner, and its owner, are less than impressed with the move.

BATTLEROUND 5 - TURN 2 TZEENTCH

I watched as Paul sat and thought about his predicament for a short while. Eventually, after skimming his tablet for a moment, he stood up to begin his turn. I'm sure every one of us who's ever played tabletop wargames has had a moment where you just have to go full on Hail Mary, and this was one of those moments. The Gaunt Summoner, who for the entire battle had sat at the back lobbing magic balls at Orcs 18'' away, rolled up its sleeves, and decided if you want a job done right, you bloody well do it yourself.

In his Hero Phase, he glanced to his left, and manifested a spell from his warscroll, scored a mortal wound and instantly killed Choppa. One artefact down.

20170529_142817.jpg.472bbe12008ca3d92c641b4f6b3ca972.jpg

Uh oh.

Next, he calmly walked towards the edge of the town hall, gaining line of sight of both Gobrot, and Wakka. Paul declared he was going to fire his Changestaff at Wakka, for a potential D3 damage. It then dawned on me that if the attack hit, and did 2-3 damage, Wakka would be dead and that would leave one artefact, and the Gaunt Summoner could charge Gobrot and attack with his Warptongue Blade, and if I took damage and failed a Bravery Check, Gobrot would be killed regardless of his 6 wounds and Paul would win. What a cunning b*stard.

The die was rolled, and it was hit. Surely not...

He rolled to wound, and wounded, the Changestaff manifesting a lightning bolt that flashed through the air at Wakka. No, jammy fuqqer!

...And it bounced off Wakka's armour and ricocheted into the air, leaving him even more stupid, but nonetheless alive. I could have married that 6 saving roll.

Attentions were turned next to the charge phase, where Paul could still secure a miraculous draw. Two dice were picked up.

A five and a five. A 10'' charge, and the Gaunt Summoner twisted and wormed its way a long the ground, shrieking the warcry of Tzeentch, dagger shrouded in daemonic energy.

20170529_142910.jpg.71f18b6b528ae4f951e75923bb911223.jpg

The final showdown.

A roll to hit.

Hits; 5.

A roll to wound.

Wounds, on a 4.

No rend. I roll my save 4+ save.

1. Epic.

Paul picks up two dice and rolls them.

...I remove Gobrot from the table with a mixture of laughter and disbelief at the fact that the Gaunt Summoner just clawed a miraculous draw out of thin air. Paul's roll of a four and five far surpassed the Warchanter's Bravery of 7, and for the second time in two games that bloody dagger killed my general in one shot.

20170529_142939.jpg.e107140582c56c48ee923638ecb432ed.jpg

The final moment of the final turn. One artefact each for a draw result, and 7 renown each.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-5 at 0:15 PM, Wailslake said:

Really fun report, did you enjoy the game?

Aye mate, it was good fun!

17 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

Great stuff, really enjoying the story these games are creating. That Gaunt Summoner is the perfect arch villain in the story the heroic Iron Jawz attempting to accomplish daring deeds!

I know, he's proven to be a sneaky bar steward in both games. Deceivingly effective, despite the warscroll being less than impressive at first glance!

• 2 weeks later...

You roll your own bravery tests, not the opponent. This lets you use rerolls and your own command/bravery abilities in order to manipulate the odds.

Also, when rolling bravery, roll 1d6+losses this turn (discounting any losses in the previous turn) and only if you surpass the general's bravery (or 5, if the general is slain) must you then remove a number of models equal to the difference.

That would surely have changed this tzeentchian victory!

On 6/29/2017 at 6:59 PM, cooleyo said:

You roll your own bravery tests, not the opponent. This lets you use rerolls and your own command/bravery abilities in order to manipulate the odds.

Also, when rolling bravery, roll 1d6+losses this turn (discounting any losses in the previous turn) and only if you surpass the general's bravery (or 5, if the general is slain) must you then remove a number of models equal to the difference.

That would surely have changed this tzeentchian victory!

Yes, Bravery rolls are by the player whose turn it is - however, in this instance, it was for the Warptongue Blade specifically, which is why I lost my General in both games. Reads as follows:

Warptongue Blade "The body of anyone cut by a Warptongue Blade is wracked with sickening and uncontrollable mutations. If a Warptongue Blade inflicts damage on an enemy unit, roll two dice. If the roll is higher than the enemy unit's Bravery, one model in the unit is slain. Otherwise, the blade inflicts 1 wound."

It inflicted a wound in both games, and Paul beat my leadership on both occasions with the double dice roll and killed my 6 wound model outright.

Archived