Skullcrushers - getting a reduction? (speculation)

RuneBrush

I picked up the Skirmish rules over the weekend and looking through it, spotted a couple of bits in the Bloodbound section.

Based on the divisor of 5 rule, Mighty Skullcrushers would calculate as: 160 ÷ 3 ÷ 5 = 10.6.  So 10 or 11 renown.

However they are priced at a very respectable 9 renown...  Repeating the calculation in the other direction that's 9 x 5 x 3 = 135 points, which you could feasibly round up to 140.  Is this an indication that Mighty Skullcrushers may have their points dropped in the new Generals Handbook?

Khorgoraths are running at 16 renown - so still at the pre-Blades of Khorne 80 points.  I also can't recall seeing the Lord on Juggernaut as an option?

57 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

The Lord of Khorne on Jugger isn't plastic so he doesn't have points in the Skirmish book.

The Juggerlord is absent as a lot of mounted heroes. If you watch closely, a lot of heroes where cut from the lists because they would bring too much punch/speed/tankiness for that sise of game. The Jugger lord is fast and hard, has protectiness against spells, generate mortal wounds has a great command and is fast for a 8 wound model. To compare, the Mighty Lord of Khorne brings things that are less useful in that sise of games. His axe is uninspiring when the hardest model has 8 wound, dispelling is offline most of the time, etc...

You can notice the absence of a lot of heroes for balance issue, like the LCoD and the Knight Heraldor to quotes the mst obvious ones.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Based on the divisor of 5 rule, Mighty Skullcrushers would calculate as: 160 ÷ 3 ÷ 5 = 10.6.  So 10 or 11 renown.

You can't really compare how things are costed in 1000-2000 point games and skirmish. Tanky things are less useful in very low point games and are costed accordingly.

1 hour ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

The Lord of Khorne on Jugger isn't plastic so he doesn't have points in the Skirmish book.

I'd forgotten that entirely... :D

Just now, kozokus said:

You can't really compare how things are costed in 1000-2000 point games and skirmish. Tanky things are less useful in very low point games and are costed accordingly.

I don't think there's enough variations in renown for that to have been the rule for everything.  It has got me wondering if we may well see Skirmish updated annually as well as the Generals Handbook?  Each revision would move more away from using the divide by 5 rule?

I'd also say that Skullcrushers will be really useful in Skirmish, more than AoS - each model has the potential to kick out mortal wounds to each unit (i.e. model) within 1" on a charge, they have a massive 8" movement, a massive base and rocking five wounds a piece.

1 minute ago, Arkiham said:

I don't think people should look into it too much. Units are costed for various reasons other thab a simoke formula with rounding.

Not going to disagree with that, I just find it curious when most units are following a rule and other's suddenly do something different, especially when one of those units is Kurnoth Hunters ;)

1 minute ago, RuneBrush said:

Not going to disagree with that, I just find it curious when most units are following a rule and other's suddenly do something different, especially when one of those units is Kurnoth Hunters

Look at the Aspiring Deathbringer :) two costs in skirmish and only one in norma games, just because one of them has a rule that tooks nicer in skirmish.

26 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Look at the Aspiring Deathbringer :) two costs in skirmish and only one in norma games, just because one of them has a rule that tooks nicer in skirmish.

That's a good point - remember spotting that over the weekend and thinking it was a bit strange.  The strangest thing is that I can only bring one plastic Aspiring Deathbringer model to mind

I don't think you can take skirmish point as a concret hint to new point. For example, skullreapers are more expensive in skirmish, because they only need to kill one thing for activating trial of skull, which make them VERY powerful in this mode.

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

That's a good point - remember spotting that over the weekend and thinking it was a bit strange.  The strangest thing is that I can only bring one plastic Aspiring Deathbringer model to mind

99800201028_ExhaltedDeathbringerwithAxe0

I play WHFB since tomb kings had their first exclusive book and i can't think of a time without this model. It is quite old.

12 minutes ago, kozokus said:

99800201028_ExhaltedDeathbringerwithAxe0

I play WHFB since tomb kings had their first exclusive book and i can't think of a time without this model. It is quite old.

He's a finecast model though and everything else in Skirmish is plastic :)

Based on how haphazard Skirmish points seem collected I do not hope they will recieve a point cost reduction. In my honest opinion they are fine as a 160 point unit. Their Bloodcrusher brothers however could certainly benifit from a cost reduction while Skirmish has made them more expensive as Skullcrushers. 

My assumption is that Skullcrushers just became cheaper because someone thought it would be a cool idea. 

Archived