Whilst Painting....

I'm trying to get my first AoS army painted but find that I need something to listen to or watch whilst doing it. I'm thinking that listening to is a bit better. I've listened to the odd podcast by the various podcasting groups but was just wondering what you guys have going on whilst painting.

I need a distraction as the painting part of this hobby isn't exactly what I enjoy the most. I enjoy the building and gaming but the painting is a bit, meh. Just call me The Drybrusher! ;)

So, what do you do whilst painting and can you recommend and good boredom killers?

Podcasts are good.

Some of my favourites:

• Kermode and Mayo's Film Review (film)
  • Filmspotting (film)
  • The Inquiry (BBC world service; investigative)
  • The Giant Bombcast (videogames)
  • Videogamer UK Podcast (videogames)
  • The X-Files Files (fan podcast)
  • Philosophy Bites (philosophy)

Otherwise, artists such as Stars of the Lid or Tim Hecker help me maintain focus (and lose track of time).

Stars of the Lid & Tim Hecker:

Tim Hecker

I've heard that a lot of people swear by podcasts or Black Library audio books. Both of those get my attention wrapped up in whatever it is they're saying and I don't want to paint anymore because whatever is on the speaker is distracting - in a good way.

To this end, I listen to good ol' music! This is where it gets personal and tastes start to come in heavily but a fair few cinematic albums have been bought by wargamers throughout the years. A few I can remember people liking are Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, Troy, etc. It's all about the big film scores there. Then there are some artists that do only scored music with an epic feel. Artists like Two Steps from Hell seem to be pretty popular. You'd have to search them on YouTube or something and then see what other kind of music is similar because I'm not sure in that area :/.

Here are a few artists I like listening to when I'm painting:

• Dead Can Dance
  • Sisters of Mercy
  • Metallica (early years)
  • Black Sabbath (Ozzy years...when it was dark)
  • Alice in Chains
  • Eastern Orthodox Liturgical Chant
  • Gary Numan

As you can see, my tastes are a bit eclectic but that's a good thing when painting, I think. It is so easy to become stagnant and bored just by having the same thing playing in the background all the time.

Hope this helps!

I've started listening to gaming podcasts, tends to really keep my blood up while painting. I'll also put batreps on YouTube. For music, I've been going between $uicideboy$, RiFF RaFF and Baroness (probably the greatest band I've ever heard or seen in my life as a music fanatic and musician). I also have an eclectic taste in music...but probably very similar to Mehman above me (early Sabbath rules, as does Metallica pre-Black Album).

The other thing I like to do is binge watch shows or put on movies I am semi interested in. I paint at my desk, so it's all stuff online. Most recently I've been pleasantly surprised by Mr Pickles on Adult Swim, pretty funny.

When I was painting my blightkings, I binged my way through season 1 & 2 of the original twilight zone. They're all short and a new plot per episode so good to pick up and put down.

I also discovered a podcast called 'the truth' who put on short radio plays from around the world. They are fascinating and very diverse, I highly advise checking it out. Otherwise I'm also a fan of the very popular 'welcome to nightvale', which if you enjoy lovecraftian esque tales in a modern, egalitarian way, is worth checking out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I quite like TV box sets if I have a long paint session, as long as its something I have watched before. For regular evening painting I tend to have a podcast or audio book on, or a Youtube Video. I quite enjoy Warhammer Weekly, especially when they have some of the round tables or paintisodes. 

Audiobooks, especially some series. I managed to caught myself painting more, because I wanted to hear "one more chapter". Podcasts and music as stated earlier. If you go with music pick something invigorating, to not get too sleepy cause of it ;)

I go for either audio only entertainment like podcasts, or TV shows which are heavy on dialogue and not based around big action set pieces, e.g.

Audio

Guardian football weekly podcast

Test match special (cricket was practically invented for 'watching' whilst doing something else)

The Empire film podcast

Serial podcast

Smodcast

Dan Carlin's hardcore history

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre podcast

Plus gaming and hobby podcasts of course.

Video

House MD

Making a Murderer

West wing

The DVD extras on LOTR

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to watch stuff I know very well while painting, I find podcasts get me to caught up.

Currently watching community again, probably going to move on to some sci fi next, either star trek, bsg or Babylon 5 (Buffy may well sneak in though).

like others have said podcasts and music get me in the zone. Though the type of music I listen to greatly depends on what project I am working on , the more of a fantasy project I end up listening to more film scores (lord of the rings , hobbit ) and other ethereal musicians. However 40k has me listening to more of a dark wave/ industrial tracks (being an ex DJ I have a lot of music lol).

I always put some youtube video's on. Mostly Let's Plays of games I've already played myself or won't play at all. I just need something that doesn't distract me too much from painting. I'm also getting more into podcasts now so will listen to them if I don't have youtube around.

Archived