Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

Well we have our good matchups, but death isn't really the case.. I mean, you won't damage each other but he has a ton of unit that simply flood the battlefield (zombie, ghouls and skeletons).

The problem with mourngul is one and simple: that -1 to hit brings warriors to 4+4+, kills blightkings, brings marauders to 5+4+, plaguebearers to 5+3+. All our basic  troops simply can't pass through and he has a 4+5++ vs mortals (our source of damage in case of plaguetouched) and 3+(2+ if MS)5++ that ignores rend. Plus he heals if he kills stuff which isn't so obvious.

We need a boost, and a good one, like disciples of tzeentch. I hope to see some good option and some serious battalions. Also an allegiance ability of any kind would help cause chaos one is ... Uninpressive at best

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think that Death vs Nurgle is a fair match if looking past the Mournghoul. Epidemius and Chaos Sorcerer Lord plus a few Plague catapults and we are able to knock out their magic users and thin out those huge units it is not an easy win but its dooable. Mist of our games so far has been fun with wins on both sides. But this last addition of the Mournghoul to ny friends army is a real headscratcher.

Hey dudes,

this is the list I'm working towards at the moment, mostly because it's almost all painted already! Seems pretty strong but any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Allegiance: Chaos

Heroes
The Glottkin (480)
- General
Great Unclean One (240)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Daemon Prince Of Nurgle (160)
Daemon Prince Of Nurgle (160)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (300)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)

Units
3 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (220)
3 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (220)

Total: 1980/2000

1 minute ago, shadowgra said:

Looks fine to me :) definitely give the guo or a daemon prince a chaos blade (+1a) or the talisman!

Yeh I might change the crown out actually. I included it to make the PBs immune to battleshock, but can always change it. I feel pretty good about the list as a whole though. Shame I can't include a battalion but there isn't much I can do about that!

Nu nurgle list is as follows:

Glottkin 

Epidemius

2x nurgle deamon Prince, wings and axe 

2x plagueclaw catapults 

30x plaguebearers

10x marauders, Mark of nurgle, shield and axe

5x blightkings 

5x furies, Mark of nurgle 

All tips om inprovements are welcome 

42 minutes ago, AllanBallan said:

Nu nurgle list is as follows:

Glottkin 

Epidemius

2x nurgle deamon Prince, wings and axe 

2x plagueclaw catapults 

30x plaguebearers

5x blightkings 

5x furies, Mark of nurgle 

All tips om inprovements are welcome 

Well you are playing urself around epidemius. While this can be fantastic (with 2 catapults and vs hordes is not that difficult to get one or two bonus from turn 1) it struggles really hard against highly armored low count armies. U will never kill 10 brutes, or a stonehorn, or a mourngul or a 10 man paladin unit. The strange thing about the plagueclaw is that it triggers with more than 10 models, not by ten onwards. This is crucial. 

It has is good and bad matchups. My list was almost identical except i didn't play 2 daemon princes and 1 less catapult for sayl, chaos sorcerer lord and 5 more blightkings.

Then i switched to plaguetouched and never came back.

Tldr: cool list and it can be really strong, however can struggle against some armies with High armor and low count cause it won't trigger extra damage from the catapult and can save your wounds.

I would play it if i didn't have to face many: ironjawz, stormcast, beastclaw and sylvaneth. You can play even i think with almost all the other armies.

Has anyone had success with the "Unpredictable Destruction" battletrait when combined with "Great Destroyer" (giving a +1 to hit on an attack roll when rolling either a 5 or 6 when within 8" of a chaos hero) for managing the Mourngul? (Especially given the lack of other faction specific battle traits.)

About the Mourngul: Why not just soften him up with the Curse of the Leper (Festus), maybe even 2 or 3 times and charge in with Blightkings with Lord of War put on them? When he is down to a 4+ or 5+ save, they should have an easy job taking him down. 

The problem is festus. Sure it can deal with mourngul but is a 120 point hero that is fairly useless, his spell is short ranged, it can heal something but is imho is not a big deal. 

So then why playing something that is some what lacking just to counter a few models? Also don't forget the unbind it is not so easy to get it pass through and he won't do it more than 2 times per game if u are lucky (he is squishy+unbind+fail casting). Also don't forget mystic shield.

Imho is better to just flood the mourngul. Leave him some fodder and play your objective game. This is an objective game and we are fairly good at keeping them. So play that kind of game, if u hope to table an opponente with Nurgle i think u chose the wrong god. Nurgle tanks and will maybe one day deal some good damage. But until then i would focus on objectives.

The problem with the unpredictable destruction is that it is so unreliable. I would prefer one unit to have it always rather than 3 unità to have it 1/3 of the times. Also works only for those near the general, not all

A challenge with dealing with the Mourngul is what to use as chaff against it. Nurgle Furies seemed like an option, but I think he'd go through them too fast. Plaguebearers are a good option but they may have trouble catching him. Beasts of Nurgle? Several 1 model units of them? Sadly they don't have disgustingly resilient and they are pretty slow as well. 

The problem with the unpredictable destruction is that it is so unreliable.... Also works only for those near the general, not all

If you've only been playing it off your general, you may have been unintentionally hindering yourself one sixth of the time.

The battletrait affects any unit within 8" of the General or another Hero from your army in the combat phase. (On a successful roll.) (p.160 GHB)

So, does your general's trait which takes Unpredictable Destruction from 6+ to 5+ work from any hero or just the general? I know that UD works from any hero which is nice. 

No mention of "only general" in Great Destroyer.... haven't slogged through the FAQ. Unless it was FAQ'd it is a Generals ability that affects all units affected by Unpredictable Destruction. And they're affected by proximity to Heroes from your army.

"Great Destroyer: Units are affected by Unpredictable Destruction on a roll of 5 or 6, instead of only on a 6.” GHB p.160

1 hour ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

So, does your general's trait which takes Unpredictable Destruction from 6+ to 5+ work from any hero or just the general? I know that UD works from any hero which is nice. 

It affects any hero, but the 5+ is only around the general 

3 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

A challenge with dealing with the Mourngul is what to use as chaff against it. Nurgle Furies seemed like an option, but I think he'd go through them too fast. Plaguebearers are a good option but they may have trouble catching him. Beasts of Nurgle? Several 1 model units of them? Sadly they don't have disgustingly resilient and they are pretty slow as well. 

What about Nurglings? Slow but high bravery and they heal if they are not slain. Lots and lots of Nurglings. Them being slow should be less of a problem if you know where to expect the Mournghoul.

This is my converted Harbinger of Decay. Just finished painting him up. Hate the GW model. So I used orghotts torso, on a rot fly body (and a WHOLE LOT of greenstuff) to keep the mortal on demon mount idea. I'm quite proud of the conversion and paint job. Probably one of the most creative conversions I have ever done.  I was trying to go for "mortal rider being consumed/infested with a demonic fleshy gift". C&C welcome. 

hod finished.jpg

hod finished2.jpg

hod finished3.jpg

Hello guys! Tried out the cannon. For sniping is simply awesome but i don't think i'll play it again, it struggles to combine well with the rest of the army. Plus i'll try not to play compendium units.

Hope to do an order sono on wayland so that i can take what i still miss of my army :D

Archived