Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

1 minute ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Someone tried to tell me at the shop today that I can't use the plaguetouched warband And still have the nurgle allegiance because the plaguetouched warband has the ever chosen keyword...therefore all my warscroll woldnt have he nurgle keyword...

I didnt have n answer for him. Is this true???? 

From the tome:

"In order to have the Nurgle Allegiance, all of the units in the army must either have the Nurgle keyword, or be assigned the Nurgle keyword during set-up"

So he's totally wrong. If your models have the keyword, it doesn't matter what battalion they're in because battalion keywords aren't related to allegiance. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought good counter for Kunnin Rukk for Nugle, take gaunt summoner as an ally and Balewind Vortex then snipe off his big units of archers at 36" with that and use the Plague Drones as a strike unit to kill the big boss? What do you guys think of that? 

Even if it doesn't gain Nurgle keyword (but it does) you could simply pay 100 allie points and then here you have it since everchosen is a valid allied for Nurgle and nowhere starts that you cannot include batallion in allies.

Gaunt is a excellent  answer to horde. However i would never play him cause it is a lot anti-lore

Here is the current anti Kunnin Rukk Nurgle list i have, 

Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Command Trait : Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact : The Witherstave

Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
- Lore of Virulence : Glorious Afflictions
Lord of Blights (140)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (120)
- Allies
Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
War Machines
Plagueclaw (180)
Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)
Total: 2000 / 2000

9 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Even if it doesn't gain Nurgle keyword (but it does) you could simply pay 100 allie points and then here you have it since everchosen is a valid allied for Nurgle and nowhere starts that you cannot include batallion in allies.

Gaunt is a excellent  answer to horde. However i would never play him cause it is a lot anti-lore

Right. Ok that makes sense. I'm not arguing with you just trying to understand..how does the battalion "gain the keyword"? Allies situation makes sense

28 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Yea lore goes out the window when you have to go up against 90 archers in kunnin rukk, i want to have some chance to win so im gona use GS to try beat it. Gaunt Summoner on Vortex will be able to take down those big archer units before he can get to me i hope as they have low bravery. Combined with Plague Claws it will be beautiful!

5 minutes ago, josh1989 said:

Yea lore goes out the window when you have to go up against 90 archers in kunnin rukk, i want to have some chance to win so im gona use GS to try beat it, I know Plague Claws would be awesome against them and ill get some for future battles against rukk. But Gaunt Summoner on Vortex will be able to take down those big archer units before he can get to me i hope as they have low bravery. Combined with Plague Claws it will be beautiful!

You could just play sorcerer with squall and with a bit of luck and rotigus you can easily snipe the boss turn 1. Or just swarm the board with BK since they are tough as hell to bring down. I don't like the lob in your list, he is 140 points doing nothing.

19 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Right. Ok that makes sense. I'm not arguing with you just trying to understand..how does the battalion "gain the keyword"? Allies situation makes sense

There is a rule (i don't remember exactly where) that says that if a batallion includes units that share a keyword then the batallion does get that keyword too. 

20 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Brah, the dude was wrong. The tome says units, not warscrolls, so you're all good. 

11 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

You could just play sorcerer with squall and with a bit of luck and rotigus you can easily snipe the boss turn 1. Or just swarm the board with BK since they are tough as hell to bring down. I don't like the lob in your list, he is 140 points doing nothing.

There is a rule (i don't remember exactly where) that says that if a batallion includes units that share a keyword then the batallion does get that keyword too. 

what would you replace LoB with? i cant swap him with another unit of BK's as they are 20 more, how about festus with blades of putrifaction?  squall cant take down the big units they are all 2 wounds! D3 wound wont do ****** against units of 30-40 at that wound count Gaunt Summoner and Plague Claws is my only hope then use the drones with harbinger to try and strike his bigbos asap. He will be depolying in only a few drops due to his battalion and i dont have one so i can use that to my advantage and deploy the drones as close as possible to the bigbos.  Also Rotigus could be used instead of plagueclaws i just dont have him but he would be just as good as 2 of them.

7 minutes ago, josh1989 said:

what would you replace LoB with? i cant swap him with another unit of BK's as they are 20 more, how about festus with blades of putrifaction?  squall cant take down the big units they are all 2 wounds! D3 wound wont do ****** against units of 30-40 at that wound count Gaunt Summoner and Plague Claws is my only hope then use the drones with harbinger to try and strike his bigbos asap. He will be depolying in only a few drops due to his battalion and i dont have one so i can use that to my advantage and deploy the drones as close as possible to the bigbos.  Also Rotigus could be used instead of plagueclaws i just dont have him but he would be just as good as 2 of them.

I was talking about killing the boss. BK will cut through them like butter, they only have 6+ save. If you kill the boss you basically halve their damage output and is way easier to do with the whole army. Drones same if buffed by daemon. Tho i don't like them that much in this list, maybe knights could do more job and can be buffed by harby.

Plagueclaws are bad in my opinion but if you think it can do the trick play it.

14 minutes ago, josh1989 said:

You only need to kill the boss and then batallion ability ceases to stop. 

6 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

I was talking about killing the boss. BK will cut through them like butter, they only have 6+ save. If you kill the boss you basically halve their damage output and is way easier to do with the whole army. Drones same if buffed by daemon. Tho i don't like them that much in this list, maybe knights could do more job and can be buffed by harby.

Plagueclaws are bad in my opinion but if you think it can do the trick play it.

ah i see, so you dont think one plageclaw to use to try and snipe the bigboss?  arnt the drones a good way to also try and kil the bigboss? 

2 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You only need to kill the boss and then batallion ability ceases to stop. 

i see thanks, so what about the idea of using the drones and plaugeclaw to snipe him? then blightkings to take out the large units?

If he is smart drones are not capable of killing it since he will bubblewrap the boss with tons of Boyz

That being said i think plagueclaw is way too dicey and you still need to roll a 5+ for the damage. Not an easy task.

Our only reliable way to kill it i think is via: rotigus, 6s on wheel and squall. 3d3 mortal wounds are enough to kill it most of the times. 

But again, you could just overwhelm him with blightkings that are probably the best counter you can bring. Like 30+ bks are impossible for him to take down and when you enter in combat with 20 blightkings with a 6+ save you are in a really bad spot.

Or you could bring our filthy shooting list (you find a test version some pages back) that shoots a ton and is still tanky enough to grind him down.

ok i see, how about his @shadowgra @sal4m4nd3r

Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General

Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume (140)
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall
Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
Scenery
Balewind Vortex (100)
Total: 1980 / 2000

dont have enough BK's to run 30 and 15 more is £90 so that will take a while to get but i will build up to that.. for now though charging in the drones should be able to take out alot of models with all their attacks and low saves/bravery of his units and like you said, using sorcerer on vortex to plague squall his bogboss. i can use festus and harbinger to buff the BK's and gutrot with mystic sheild on should be able to take down quite a few. combining that with slowing him down with glorious afflictions and rerolling 6's on witherstave / make him -1 save with festus i should be in with a chance.  what do you think? also what setting should i keep the nurgle wheel on? thanks for the help

If you are playing vortex go with favoured poxes  in order to have a 28" 6+ poxes. Remember that squall has no range and does not benefit from it.

Remember that poxbringer can heal the harbinger.

That being said you n1 to keep alive is the harbinger. Then the poxbringer, then festus. 

Plaguebearers i think will underperform (he will never target them and they will never die nor do damage).

Unless he is playing a heavy tournament list you could be able to achieve a win.

Do you have some slave to darkness unit?

49 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

If you are playing vortex go with favoured poxes  in order to have a 28" 6+ poxes. Remember that squall has no range and does not benefit from it.

Remember that poxbringer can heal the harbinger.

That being said you n1 to keep alive is the harbinger. Then the poxbringer, then festus. 

Plaguebearers i think will underperform (he will never target them and they will never die nor do damage).

Unless he is playing a heavy tournament list you could be able to achieve a win.

Do you have some slave to darkness unit?

thanks for the pointers, i thought the plaguebearers will be able to hold an objective and get points? but yea when i have the extra BKs i just run that instead.  unfortunatly no slaves to darkness but thats also something im going to pick up in the future. 10 warriors and 20 marauders seems good.  i like you idea of using no. 6 on the dial + squall and rotigus, not having rotigus ill have to try and arcane bolt out of one of the other casters to do the 3rd D3 damage.  Again GUO is on the list and ill magnatise him so i can use as rotigus too, so here is the final list ill run. and yea ill remember to use the herald to heal the Harbinger. Thanks for the help!

Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General

Festus The Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance : Blades of Putrefaction
Gutrot Spume (140)
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall
Plague Priest with Warpstone-tipped Staff (80)
Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
Total: 1960 / 2000

ill just use the PB's to hold and objective and use all my buffs on the BK's keep them out of ranged threat bubble as much as possible unitll i can get them into combat and try snipe his Bigboss! 

16 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

@Spikey Norman

Last night I pretty much came to the same list you first posted.  Only difference is why not take Festus instead of sorcerer with the left-over 20 pts.   He can take blades of Putrification though named, right?  Also i see the point of prince over LOA, but I think I like the model too much.  Hate to get blinded like that, but there it is.

You are right. Spending the extra 20 to get Festus is a better idea, since I'm not planning on giving an artifact to the Sorcerer any way, and I just want someone to cast Blades.

Only reason why I took the Sorcerer without much though was that I have one already. I don't have Festus, but perhaps I should :-)

2 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

You are right. Spending the extra 20 to get Festus is a better idea, since I'm not planning on giving an artifact to the Sorcerer any way, and I just want someone to cast Blades.

Only reason why I took the Sorcerer without much though was that I have one already. I don't have Festus, but perhaps I should :-)

and festus can give units -1 to save for the rest of the battle and heal D3 to a unit every turn!

1 hour ago, Krieger said:

Festus has a new warscroll.  He no longer does -1 save.  It's -1 to save rolls now and he can't stack it anymore.

also got a guy on the discord saying it was always -1 to save rolls.. and that it is a modifier to the result of the save rolls not 1 less dice to roll for saves. i think he is right on this one

1 hour ago, Krieger said:

Festus has a new warscroll.  He no longer does -1 save.  It's -1 to save rolls now and he can't stack it anymore.

I may Ben being dense but just can’t see it.

what is the difference between-1 save and -1 to save rolls?

or is it just the stacking nature that’s made it worse? 

1 minute ago, Locien83 said:

I may Ben being dense but just can’t see it.

what is the difference between-1 save and -1 to save rolls?

or is it just the stacking nature that’s made it worse? 

got people on discord saying its the same and -1 to save rolls  is a modifier to the numbers rolled for saved

8 minutes ago, josh1989 said:

got people on discord saying its the same and -1 to save rolls  is a modifier to the numbers rolled for saved

But in essence isn’t a -1 modifier to the roll the same as -1 to the save characteristic in 99% of cases (only situation I can think of as different is for an ability that works specifically off save characteristic like cloying quagmire)

7 minutes ago, Locien83 said:

But in essence isn’t a -1 modifier to the roll the same as -1 to the save characteristic in 99% of cases (only situation I can think of as different is for an ability that works specifically off save characteristic like cloying quagmire)

the difference as i understand it is it allows you make 6's fail. so you can only push a save to a 6+ with for example rustfang they still have a chance to save BUT if you cast this on a unit with a 6+ save they cannot save any hits without applying their own save buff as they will always fail

20 hours ago, josh1989 said:

Yea lore goes out the window when you have to go up against 90 archers in kunnin rukk, i want to have some chance to win so im gona use GS to try beat it. Gaunt Summoner on Vortex will be able to take down those big archer units before he can get to me i hope as they have low bravery. Combined with Plague Claws it will be beautiful!

It seems you guys get bend over a lot of times here.

It is impossible to play 90 archers in a Kunnin Rukk.

The Bubble is 10" and the Arrowboys have a 32mm base, Middle of the base is taken up by the Savage Boss.

A square of 10" would allow for roughly 49 guys but since it is a 10" circle i would say 36 is a more realistic number.

I quote the FAQ here for you guys to stop that nonsense.

rules.png.409bb59176bea22d0854809315386124.png

Archived