After a 10 year break: Kharadron Overlords

Simhis

Hi there Grand Alliance happy to join you.

A few weeks ago I stumbled over the Kharadron Overlords pre order pictures by happenstance and after 10 years of abstinence the plastic crack addiction set in again. I've checked out some of the skyport schemes and Barak Zilfin ended up as my favourite. Decided on Thousand Sons blue instead of the whatever blue recommended by GW because I really dig that colour. All in all I'm positively surprised about all those new colours, shades and stuff. I experimented a bit on some old models I've had stored in my cellar and got some practice before I moved on to my first test model.

So far I'm pleased but I'll probably try to drybush the last highlight on the gold/copper instead of doing a layer. I've ordered some of the texture colour and the teclis blue technical stuff. I plan on giving them a reddish brown wasteland base and for my frigate base I picked up some nice resin chest and crates, gotta secure that bounty and plunder.

28.04.17 - 1(1).jpg

28.04.17 - 1.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm pleased to see that you like my take on our new Overlords. The whole squad is done now and I had a lot of fun painting them. We talked about booty and plunder in the first post and I picked up some stuff that will just fit nicely. The chests and crates are from tabletop-art.eu and those lasses are made by GW but they feel a bit different from the usual stuff. The plastic seems to be very light and brittle and they have a lot of mold lines. I'll split up the crates of the different ships and probably put some of them on the base for the planned Ironclad Flagship. Not sure about the girls yet, in case I can't fit them onto my slavering dwarf pirates I'll just use them as an objective marker.

Next up: the Frigate for my finished squad!

squad1.jpg

squad2.jpg

plunder.jpg

The squad looks great, nice & clean painting.

In the pictures the grey parts lack a bit of contrast, that would improve the overall look a bit, but as they stand really nice looking group of privateers.

Looking forward what you achieve with the scenery.

On 3.5.2017 at 11:27 AM, Metsuri said:

The squad looks great, nice & clean painting.

In the pictures the grey parts lack a bit of contrast, that would improve the overall look a bit, but as they stand really nice looking group of privateers.

Looking forward what you achieve with the scenery.

Thanks and you're right, I'll give the grey another highlight of fortress grey!

Meanwhile some WIP pictures. This is the biggest model I've ever build and painted it's a great learning process and I'll probably do some things different with the next ships. Also I underestimated the time it takes to paint such a big model, thought it would be easy.

To-Do:

Painting the bull's eyes, edge highlighting, finishing the crews eyes.

I magnetized the weapons,  sadly the harpoon tends to angle down a bit.

IMG_20170508_152522.jpg

IMG_20170508_152528.jpg

IMG_20170508_152601.jpg

51 minutes ago, il_direttore_sgravato_skiz said:

Very cool pictures I like it, had you use the averland sunset as yellow? Or the zamesi desert?

Thank you! No that's Iyanden Darksun from the Citadel Foundation Colours range. I have a lot older colours that still work, kept them in good condition. Oldest pot is probably the tentacle pink from around 1994/95 but I can't open it anymore. The plastic lid just crumbles away like thin cork so it has an honorary place in my colour shelf.

2 minutes ago, FractalRain said:

I have yet to start on the frigate so I applaud you!  It looks very nice and you have some smooth coloring on the model. 

Thank you, I used a very thin layer of Sombre Grey from Vallejo as a primer because I didn't want to paint yellow on black. On the next ship I may try black primer and airbrushing the yellow and blue. The yellow still took 3-4 layers to get a good coverage. I'll probably highlight the bolts on the yellow with Gold Yellow.

The base will get some skeletons bits as soon as I get hands on my old bit crate.

Btw. I really like Hashut Copper, such a gorgeous colour but the endrins still look a bit flat, any ideas?

21 minutes ago, Simhis said:

Thank you! No that's Iyanden Darksun from the Citadel Foundation Colours range. I have a lot older colours that still work, kept them in good condition. Oldest pot is probably the tentacle pink from around 1994/95 but I can't open it anymore. The plastic lid just crumbles away like thin cork so it has an honorary place in my colour shelf.

Thank you, I used a very thin layer of Sombre Grey from Vallejo as a primer because I didn't want to paint yellow on black. On the next ship I may try black primer and airbrushing the yellow and blue. The yellow still took 3-4 layers to get a good coverage. I'll probably highlight the bolts on the yellow with Gold Yellow.

The base will get some skeletons bits as soon as I get hands on my old bit crate.

Btw. I really like Hashut Copper, such a gorgeous colour but the endrins still look a bit flat, any ideas?

thank you for the fast reply, reading an old range reference the iyanden darksun is the actually averland sunset, is funny cause googling i ve read that other people are using the averland sunset too for zilfin instead the zamesi desert as said on the battletome, so i think i ll  use the averland too,  about your miniatures, keep up the good stuff!

4 hours ago, Simhis said:

Hmmm...hard to tell from the pics, as I'm sure they look better in person.  But perhaps some more washes to add more definition to the edges/lines and then a highlight with a slightly lighter color on the surfaces?

19 hours ago, Simhis said:

I would add some light silver to the copper and very lightly drybrush the endrin sections with it. The areas are so large that there needs to be a bit of colour variation in them and the method is easiest way to achieve it. Google for the warhammer tv video about painting the gunhauler where they did just that. The drybrushing along with edge highlighting should provide enough variance to look good.

The boat does look great already in it's current state, looking forward to the next batch of pictures.

Admiral Bolfar, Reaver-Oligarch of Barak Zilfin is ready to take command of his fleet. He's the wealthiest and greediest guy of the fleet so he is the most golden.  Hope I can tackle on his Flagship soon, gotta finish the Grundcorps first. Gunhauler is nearly done except for the crew and the gun!

IMG_20170512_235419.jpg

IMG_20170512_235357.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Phew it's been a few days since the last update but I wasn't that lazy. I've decided to assembly line paint my remaining 20 Arkanaut Company guys and 5 rifle-toating Thunderer before I paint all the more interesting miniatures. They are missing their last highlight and I'll probably finish them while I work on the Khemist or the Endrinmaster next. Haven't decided yet.

Anyway I painted up a gunhauler while I took breaks from my assembly. I think it's a great model and I gave the pilot a Pistol from the Arkanaut bits, making him look more daring in a drive-by airfight.

gunship1.jpg

gunship2.jpg

gunship3.jpg

gunship4.jpg

Good idea with the pin, I'll give it a try when I'm going back to the model for basing decorations. I've felt like I've done a lot of work but there is still so much stuff to do.

Finished:

Admiral

Khemist

Frigate

Gunhauler

30 Arkanauts

To-Do:

Endrinmaster

6 Skyriggers (3 Riggers, 3 Wardens)

Highlighting on 5 Thunderers

Ironclad

Putting some bits and stuff on the bases

I've finished my Khemist today and I'm very pleased with him. Love the bulky model.

Anyway here are some pictures.

khemist3.jpg

khemist4.jpg

khemist5.jpg

khemist6.jpg

Archived