How are your battles with the new Orruks?

Dez

Hi All,

I've been dying to hear how people are doing with the new Orruk release, but can't seem to find many batreps. I'm assuming people are building and painting still, but someone must have glued together 30 boxes worth of stuff in an hour and gotten many games in already :)

How are you guys finding they play so far?

I have played against Ironjawz;)

Format: 40 Battle Points; Battleplan: Breakthrough

O&G (me)

-2x NG shaman

-3x Fimirs

-3x Trolls

-10x NGs

-1 Giant

Ironjawz (opponent)

-Orruk Mega boss

-10 Ardboyz

-5 Brutez

-Giant

This scenario was part of a campaign but we acted as 2 real warbosses- we didn't give a s**t and went into some real 'ead bashin' ;) we had two exactly the same assembled Giants so we decided to make a duel first of all. The primary objective for me - reach the other border with 1/3 of my troops (so I planned the NGs to run with their gong basher), became secondary. first of all the Giants had to settle the score between them.

73009fe01867ca05cb52301bac3109ec.jpg

I went with Trolls supported by NG shaman on left flank to face Orruk Megaboss and Ardboys(sounds stupid, but opponent caught the bait), Fimirs with other shaman in the center going to meet The Brutez. And had to run around to the corner with NGS using scenario Command Ability (roll 2 dice and choose higher result) and gongbasher for +2 running distance.

8f07065d768c8e1e74ab3049203e6cf7.jpg

8c64d35990f16e1654510da74770b383.jpg

This wasn't my day - I have never rolled so many 1s on D6 as then;) Giant died (and didn't even "Timber!" on his opponent), shamans got high on their mushrooms and couldn't move and cast, Trolls weren't 2dumb2die... and died(and I was so close to defeating the Megaboss). Only Fimirs didn't fail as always. They killed 5 Brutes. 1 I think survived.

e36d3eef6a7285e05b5e939e0fe0c84d.jpg

Ardboyz with Megaboss didn't have much trouble with the shaman, and Giant took the little unit of NGS in the turn. I didn't have a chance to win so I attacked with everything.. and died..

Ironjawz were da bossez dat day..

Wysłane z mojego Classic przy użyciu Tapatalka

I get my 1st game against the new Orruks tomorrow when my mate comes up from Cheltenham and I can't wait :) He has always been an OnG player since we were in our teens but this release really excited him and he bought 1 or more of everything they released.Will report how my Vamps get on against them.

Wow, my models :D, the new orks were not 100% painted, needed tu rush to have them on the turnament. The megaboss ability is something for biger games only, he is tought, but I find the brutes to be super when fighting strong oponents 4 wound and up.

Wow, my models :D, the new orks were not 100% painted, needed tu rush to have them on the turnament. The megaboss ability is something for biger games only, he is tought, but I find the brutes to be super when fighting strong oponents 4 wound and up.

Write something more! I knew I saw you somewhere on TGA;) it was your game and units so write how it was to play them;)

Wysłane z mojego Classic przy użyciu Tapatalka

Hey,

So far I have only played one game with Destruction (but have two more scheduled for this week). We played using 100 SCGT pool choices and my army was;

Megaboss on Maw-Krusha

Megaboss

Weirdnob Shaman

Warchanter

10 Brutes - Jagged Hackas, Boss Claw + Brute Smasha, 2 Gore Choppas

2x 5 Brutes - Choppas, Boss Claw + Brute Smasha, Gore Choppa

10 Ardboyz - 7 Big Choppas, 3 Shields

Magma Dragon

This list is by no means optimised and is purely made from the models I preordered plus the fantastic Angrislaug model I recently picked up from www.mierce-minatures.com and thought made for a sweet Magma Dragon...then I read the Magma Dragon rules and decided this was definitely a good idea ;)

I played against a Fyreslayer army using one of the Battleplans from the Ironjaws book.

I found everything to be "ok" and pointed pretty well to be honest. The Brutes were reasonably destructive, as a user of Blightkings I found the Rend very welcome and the special weapons add punch, however they did die quite easily with battleshock being a slight issue. Loved the Maw-Krusha, the charge attack thing is fantastic.

Unfortunately due to having to split my (small) army into 4 for the scenario I did lose out on synergy. Also repeatedly trying to cast Foot of Gork pretty much just for the lolz was not a sensible plan!! I'm sure I can give some better thoughts after more games and will maybe set up another thread chronicling my games with the army is there is any interest in that?

Oh...the Magma Dragon...yeh, its filth!! Haha, utterly amazing. Loved it.

I've played a few games with the same small force as part of an escalation campaign. My force is:

• Megaboss
  • Weirdnob Shaman
  • 5 Brutes, 3 with gore hackas, 1 with gore choppa, boss with boss klaw & brute smasha
  • 5 Brutes, 3 with brute choppas, 1 with gore choppa, boss with boss choppa
  • 3 Gore Gruntaz with pig iron choppas

I took the brutes and Gruntas in the Ironfist batallion, allowing them to move d6 in the hero phase instead of running, but still allowing them to charge. It's pretty powerful especially in certain missions which necessitate fast movement across the board or earlier charges.

My overall thoughts

1. Brutes are extremely powerful. Even without buffs they can deal out a horrendous amount of damage. The boss klaw and brute smashas ability in particular makes even one orruk monstrous
  2. The Waaagh command ability from the Megaboss on foot is really good when combined with brute gore choppas and boss weapons.
  3. In comparison to the rest of the army, the Gruntas leave me disappointed. Their damage is quite low especially in comparison to similar cavalry like Skullcrushers. Even when they get the bonus for making an 8" charge their output is pretty meagre. Give these guys a miss in competitive, one brute has far greater damage and only 2 wounds less.
  4. The Weirdnob has some pretty potent damage with the foot of gork. However his extremely high cast values and the minimal range of the green puke almost necessitate a weirdfist filled with infantry to give him his casting bonus (good use for Ardboyz methinks)

Am I missing something with the Gore Gruntas? The only good thing about them I can see is their high wounds, but as I say similar models like Skullcrushers have the same wound value but are far killier with more opportunity for use in battalions.

Gore gruntas are incredibly tanky and use for objectives. Without them capturing objectives would be incredibly hard since more ironjawz have like a 3'' movement speed. Give them mystic shield and cover and you have 15 wounds with a 2+ save that move 9'' and in a formation can move an additional 15'' turn 1. They are the strategy piece of the ironjawz while the rest of the army is basically move forward and attack. Engage enemies not allowing them to move to ensure your others hit what they want, hit and run, capture objectives, assassinate wizards, tar pit things. 

38 minutes ago, NitosApprentice said:

Gore gruntas are incredibly tanky and use for objectives. Without them capturing objectives would be incredibly hard since more ironjawz have like a 3'' movement speed. Give them mystic shield and cover and you have 15 wounds with a 2+ save that move 9'' and in a formation can move an additional 15'' turn 1. They are the strategy piece of the ironjawz while the rest of the army is basically move forward and attack. Engage enemies not allowing them to move to ensure your others hit what they want, hit and run, capture objectives, assassinate wizards, tar pit things. 

This is a side I didn't really consider - perhaps I'm too set in the Orruk mindset to consider strategy! Their speed is something I didn't think about with relation to their objective grabbing and sticking power - cheers for the tip

Their damage is quite low especially in comparison to similar cavalry like Skullcrushers.

Quite damning given that Juggies have long been an embarrassment for their abysmal damage output.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived