Let's chat Kharadron Overlords

Dez

I will say one good thing about the sky ports vs Idoneth conclaves:

For KO, the options are just that, options.  Want to run Mhornar but not use Opportunistic Privateers?  Don’t know why, but sure, go ahead.  Want to play an Ionrach army but want +2 wounds?  Too bad.  Your allies get Tides of Death.  No allies?  Not our problem!  You love that sweet soul-magic ability for Mor’phann, but want to use a different spell?  Too bad!  You have to use Freezing Mists.  

Dont get me wrong, none of the Deepkin “must use” abilities are bad, per se, but I prefer having options (so, Dhom-Hain it is, no matter how much I love aelvan wizards and that sweet +1 to cast).  It’s just that Idoneth seem more like an army that is “pick how you want to play, then pick the enclave that best supports it” rather than KO, which is far more “pick a sky port you like, then play how you want with options to play a specific way.”

As someone who is a far more casual player, it just feels more fluffy.  Although the idea of using those melee snake aelves in an Ionrach army is intriguing to be sure.  Then again, allies in an Idoneth army can get shot off the board, since they will be one of only 2 viable targets.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

New to AoS, but not wargaming (40k since late 80s, stopped playing Warhammer Fantasy in mid-90s).

I want to start an Overlords army, but I'm a bit lost with all the Allegiance stuff. As I understand it, to run Overlords allegiance in matched play I have to take 3 units of 10+ Arkanauts (battleline) - is this right? Otherwise, I can take Stormcast Liberators or something as battleline, but then I lose the Overlords allegiance and go to Order - does this cut off access to Command Abilities/Traits and Sky Port abilities too?

Apologies for stupid questions.

Cheers for any replies.

1 minute ago, Lost2Requiem said:

Hi everyone,

New to AoS, but not wargaming (40k since late 80s, stopped playing Warhammer Fantasy in mid-90s).

I want to start an Overlords army, but I'm a bit lost with all the Allegiance stuff. As I understand it, to run Overlords allegiance in matched play I have to take 3 units of 10+ Arkanauts (battleline) - is this right? Otherwise, I can take Stormcast Liberators or something as battleline, but then I lose the Overlords allegiance and go to Order - does this cut off access to Command Abilities/Traits and Sky Port abilities too?

Apologies for stupid questions.

Cheers for any replies.

That does cut off the command traits (not command abilities, i.e the admirals 3-option deal), artifacts, and sky port abilities. 

I played a 1000 points game last weekend...frankly I am more impressed with the Balloon guys than the ships...or am I doing something wrong?

I think I will drop the idea of buying Ironclad and free up points for more balloon guys for future 2000 points game. Just use a frigate to just transport and disembark. Is this a good idea?

only thing I can think of is company will be slow and maybe just for objective sitting.

2 hours ago, AlvinAOS said:

I played a 1000 points game last weekend...frankly I am more impressed with the Balloon guys than the ships...or am I doing something wrong?

I think I will drop the idea of buying Ironclad and free up points for more balloon guys for future 2000 points game. Just use a frigate to just transport and disembark. Is this a good idea?

only thing I can think of is company will be slow and maybe just for objective sitting.

The ironclad is the ship that carries its own weight, but you can run a frigate it it’s place to be heavier on the balloons. The balloons are the stand out unit of the army. 

10 hours ago, AlvinAOS said:

Now my KO was 2K pts. army already.for me the ship was just for deployment tactic. I used to played Ironclad but now i'll change to use frigate soon.

And balloon guys and company with light skyhook so strong for me with khemist's buff

Hi everyone

I'm new to AoS (been 40K player for years though) and I bought a Kharadron Overlords Start Collecting Box.

Still getting my head around how the rules work and what does good and what doesn't.

Can anyone give me a brief run down and summary of what works with the Kharadron Overlords and what doesn't? Planning on getting an Aether-Khemist because of his buff and debut abilities, and probably a box of Arkonauts too at some point after I've tackled the Start Collecting Box.

1 hour ago, Nazguire said:

Hi everyone

I'm new to AoS (been 40K player for years though) and I bought a Kharadron Overlords Start Collecting Box.

Still getting my head around how the rules work and what does good and what doesn't.

Can anyone give me a brief run down and summary of what works with the Kharadron Overlords and what doesn't? Planning on getting an Aether-Khemist because of his buff and debut abilities, and probably a box of Arkonauts too at some point after I've tackled the Start Collecting Box.

Hi Nazguire. The Start Collecting and Arkanaut Company are a good place to start. You may need 2 Companies to form the core of your first 1000pts army (if you play Matched Play games). In AoS, all armies need to have a set minimum of "battleline" units which for the case of the Overlords at the moment means Arkanaut Companies. 2 is enough for the  battleline tax. After that you may want to decide if you want to go Boat heavy or Infantry heavy. If you read this thread a little more, you may notice most of the folks here don't feel the boats at their current in-game points and statline are up to standard so they prefer running infantry heavy lists.

You may want to invest in at least 1 boat for transport purposes since being able to transport troops is a key unique feature of the Kharadron Overlords. Your choices are Frigate or the Ironclad. I think if you want to keep your army size small, you can consider the Ironclad. With a transport capacity of 20, you can load up both your Battleline units in it and have some additional units to supplement it. The Start Collecting comes with a Gunhauler and Thunderers so you can go with a 2nd unit of Thunderers to round out your forces.

There are some rumors of rules being changed too  so I would take it slow on the buying. The Ironclad is currently the centrepiece of the Kharadron Overlords model line so I doubt it will be nerfed. It can only get better so that at least if a safer bet. And at very least its a very cool model on the table. 

I also would recommend a Skyfleet Box for the Start. A Skyfleet and a Start Collecting are a a solid Start for your Army. 

With both Boxes you get:

1 Admiral

1 Endrinmaster

1 Unit Arkaunt Company

2 Units Skywarden 

1 Frigate

2 Units Gunhauler

1 Unit Thunderers

Hi All,

quick question from a starting KO player (once finish painting the death army) - I managed to grab a set of sprues for 3 skyriggers but they haven’t come with the 3 flying stems - any idea where I can get replacement stems from? Can’t see any on GW website and as didn’t purchase from GW would seem cheeky to ask when I got the battleforce box elsewhere.

Many Thanks if anyone is able to shed any light on where to buy them - I’ve googled and checked eBay on the off chance but no luck with the curved stems with the cup to hold the Skywardens / Endrinriggers

Alex

Making a list 2000 points:

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Aetherschok Bludgeon 
Aetheric Navigator (100)

Battleline
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
12 x Endrinriggers (480)
- 2x Skyhooks
- 3x Grapnel Launchers
12 x Endrinriggers (480)
- 2x Skyhooks
- 3x Grapnel Launchers

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Magnificent Omniscope

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 108

Seeking some advice is there any way to improve?

Also for this list, can 2 units of Endrinriggers repair 2 times for the FRIGATE?

Yes, they can each heal the same Frigate :)

There also seems to be a bug or something, because you would only be able to take 4 special weapons. IMO, I'd just take the 3 Grapnel Launchers as you'll want all the saws you can sneak in.

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

Yes, they can each heal the same Frigate :)

There also seems to be a bug or something, because you would only be able to take 4 special weapons. IMO, I'd just take the 3 Grapnel Launchers as you'll want all the saws you can sneak in.

oh yes. i forgot to check on this. Thanks for the clarification.

Update list.

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Urbaz
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Trait: Fleetmaster 
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Aetherschok Bludgeon 
Aetheric Navigator (100)

Battleline
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks
- 3x Light Skyhooks

Units
12 x Endrinriggers (480)
- 3x Grapnel Launchers
12 x Endrinriggers (480)
- 3x Grapnel Launchers

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Magnificent Omniscope

11 hours ago, High Overlord Xenu said:

So I try to play my KO competitively. I've had a decent amount of success in the statewide meta, but with Deepkin coming out I'm getting legitimately worried.

Has anyone played a competitive game against them? Any winning strategies?

I have not played against them yet, but I assume melee oriented skywardens and endrinriggers is the way to go

On 4/27/2018 at 11:17 PM, Tittliewinks22 said:

I have not played against them yet, but I assume melee oriented skywardens and endrinriggers is the way to go

Skywardens with Volley Cannons and Drill Cannons. Endrinriggers in units of 9 with 3 Grapnel Launchers.

5 hours ago, Dez said:

Skywardens with Volley Cannons and Drill Cannons. Endrinriggers in units of 9 with 3 Grapnel Launchers.

While thats the standard load out for those units, is that comment specific to playing Deepkin?  Seems they have a lot of -ve to hit modifiers or ways to block shooting so more combat oriented might be better?

4 hours ago, stato said:

While thats the standard load out for those units, is that comment specific to playing Deepkin?  Seems they have a lot of -ve to hit modifiers or ways to block shooting so more combat oriented might be better?

Honestly I don't think much is going to change. Deepkin are high points cost, so whatever they put out front should be destroyed by focused KO shooting. We can skirt that 12" to18" debuff range with shooting...not so much with melee.

1 minute ago, Arkanaut Admiral said:

I got my but viciously kicked by Ironjawz last night.  Brutes are vicious. O.o

My ironclad didn’t help either.  It never ever hits anything. 

Oh yeah never lets those things get in your line or carnage ensues. I try to screen with a 10man unit of arkanauts, if it works (ie. they die but nothing else does) then hopefully there are enough pistol shots in my remaining arkanauts to clear them off, otherwise... gulp.

23 minutes ago, stato said:

Oh yeah never lets those things get in your line or carnage ensues. I try to screen with a 10man unit of arkanauts, if it works (ie. they die but nothing else does) then hopefully there are enough pistol shots in my remaining arkanauts to clear them off, otherwise... gulp.

I’ve learned my lesson.  I focused too much on the gore gruntas.  Are they even that dangerous?  And to be fair, they probably should have died after one turn but mystic shield and my rubbish ironclad really helped them out. 

Archived