Jump to content

Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium


warhammernerd
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, tea_wild_owl said:

i plan on using a knight azyros as an ally to get the rerolls on 1 for shooting without needing a nomad Prince

Nice catch! Have been looking at allies that might actually synergize and I think you found a good one! Really like the head swap you did, nice work!

 

3 hours ago, Pestilens said:

2x5 raider

Wild Riders, right? 

3 hours ago, Cerve said:

And they still...."cheaper". Well, for a cavalry almost. 10 of them are 240 points, we can afford theme.

They're 280 for 10 unfortunately... I know most IJ players agreed Gore Gruntas needed a reduction but I can't see why five 2 wound models with a +5 save should be the same price as three 5 wound models with a +4 save and much better attacks (rend). They are tempting to take with the interaction with the allegiance abilities but I will always be thinking about how another player could be putting down some tough pigs with better attacks for the same cost.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

Nice catch! Have been looking at allies that might actually synergize and I think you found a good one! Really like the head swap you did, nice work!

 

Wild Riders, right? 

They're 280 for 10 unfortunately... I know most IJ players agreed Gore Gruntas needed a reduction but I can't see why five 2 wound models with a +5 save should be the same price as three 5 wound models with a +4 save and much better attacks (rend). They are tempting to take with the interaction with the allegiance abilities but I will always be thinking about how another player could be putting down some tough pigs with better attacks for the same cost.

GW also care about selling the new kits .. sad but true.. can't blame them really but indeed between those units there should be a 40 point difference favouring the wild riders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, awcamawn said:

Nice catch! Have been looking at allies that might actually synergize and I think you found a good one! Really like the head swap you did, nice work!

 

Wild Riders, right? 

They're 280 for 10 unfortunately... I know most IJ players agreed Gore Gruntas needed a reduction but I can't see why five 2 wound models with a +5 save should be the same price as three 5 wound models with a +4 save and much better attacks (rend). They are tempting to take with the interaction with the allegiance abilities but I will always be thinking about how another player could be putting down some tough pigs with better attacks for the same cost.

Yep 280 sorry. Eh....because being so fast has a cost. I will try them, I have 10 of them.anyway so..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Xin said:

What allies do you think will be best for woods? Or you will stay all clear wanderers? 

I don't understand the question.

 

2 hours ago, awcamawn said:

i plan on using a knight azyros as an ally to get the rerolls on 1 for shooting without needing a nomad Prince

Not sure that is a good substitution 1 on 1.. however if you want a waywatcher general it's a good 2nd choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bought Tauriel from the GW Hobbit range to use as a Waywatcher general cause I don't like painting metal models. I have Sisters of the Watch as battleline one...so my question is, do I build Eternal Guard or Rangers? I have a Treelord I intend to use as an allied tank, so I'm not sure if I want the better save on the Eternal Guard, or Rangers for more damage? I do also have Sisters of the Thorn whose spell I can throw on stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aezeal said:

I don't understand the question.

 

Not sure that is a good substitution 1 on 1.. however if you want a waywatcher general it's a good

 I plan to appear on different sides of the board and hope distract the enemy. fly azyros to the target and shoot. in case of a double turn he could do some mortaal wounds with his lantern. but I will see how he works when I have my first game with allies :)

Edited by tea_wild_owl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there

I am very excited for the new rules as well! I think the battalion basically is worth it for being able to choose who goes first. Letting your opponent go first gives you a 50/50 chance of a double turn which will allow you a stupid amount of shooting. 

I think allies should be used to shore up our weaknesses, and in this list I think there's a glaring lack of monsters. I can't believe the current points for the high elf dragon lord which hits incredibly hard, and would force the opponent to split their attention between our deepstriking main force and the charging dragon. 

Another option that I believe is very viable and a bit cheaper is one of the phoenixes. I'd probably go with fire since we are short on mortal wounds. But the Phoenix's attune to magic ability and shield of thorns is a fantastic combo that I think will wreck all the new hordes armies. 

At least in my experience it has been extremely durable with 2+/2+ then 4+ invuln. All from just a mystic shield and shield of thorns. It once survived 3 turns on an objective against 10 retributers with Celestant and bless weapon buff. I don't any other unit could have done that:)

anyway, I look forward to hear about your experiences!

Here's a pic of my birdie:)

 

IMG_0609.JPG

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was actually looking at the phoenix too, but I think that if I get one it'll be a frosty one. But having to cast both most important spells (and probably the only spells since it's not likely you'll get more casters in) on the phoenix is also an investment.. it means not using it on the EG who might also defend an objective. 

I like the rider which parts did you use? the feet of the original and the rest all from the leader of the revenants? If I could ally him with my Sylvaneths I might do something like that... but ofc.. sylvaneth got screwed in the allies department.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Aezeal said:

I was actually looking at the phoenix too, but I think that if I get one it'll be a frosty one. But having to cast both most important spells (and probably the only spells since it's not likely you'll get more casters in) on the phoenix is also an investment.. it means not using it on the EG who might also defend an objective. 

I like the rider which parts did you use? the feet of the original and the rest all from the leader of the revenants? If I could ally him with my Sylvaneths I might do something like that... but ofc.. sylvaneth got screwed in the allies department.

It's wild rider legs and body with revenant head and weapon. EG shield and regular Phoenix cloak:)

with the battalion you also get 1 extra artifact which I speculate perhaps should be the +1 to cast and unbind if I take the Phoenix.

Edited by jazzy128
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah as I said I'd probably take that item too to make sure both my defensive spells go off first turn.

BTW does anyone know good (like GW level good looking) waywatcher alternatives? I've never had the need for 3 of them (actually I'm not sure I ever used even one) and I've got on of them, I could proxy 2 more from the non hero variant GW had since they are good too and I could use the other heroes I have... but if there is a REAL good 3th party alternative out there I'd love to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I'm confused , I reinstalled the azyr app and restored purchases, I got the new GHB2017 installed and tried to build my first wanderer army for 2k. If I filter on alliegence only I can choose old woodelf units like war dancers and warhawks as part of the wanderers. Is that right? I hope so but something tells me it's not working properly.

I Can't believe we lost way watchers and all those other compendium units. I just finished painting my 3 converted eagle riders and 20 war dancers. Bah

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

BTW does anyone know good (like GW level good looking) waywatcher alternatives?

^I think these Mirkwood Rangers from the Hobbit strategy battle line from GW could work really well, as seen here by @HobbyHammer

Glade guard with the hoods I think work just fine as well, especially if you add a couple bits to them to make them stand out a bit more than normal.

Wood Elves Waywatchers painted by Rafal Maj (BloodyBeast.com)Image result for waywatcher conversions

^Off pinterest

Lots of people seem to use eternal guard/wildwood ranger torsos, ranger or glade guard hoods, and then give them some arms with bows. The firery bows from the Sisters of Averlorn/Shadow Warriors box are cool, and the legs in the bottom image are also from that kit. Not sure about other manufacturers but I remembered seeing lots of cool conversions people had done using GW stuff, and then you can still play them in their stores.

12 minutes ago, WABBIT said:

I Can't believe we lost way watchers and all those other compendium units.

Talk it out with your opponent? I like to play casually myself, just got back from a game where I ran Wardancers and Waywatchers as Wanderers with the new allegiance abilities and my opponent used the really impressively made unofficial Tomb Kings battletome for his army. We used the new open war cards as well, and it was a lot of fun! It's literally The Most Important Rule in the game to talk things out with your opponent so the most fun can be had. Worst come to worse you can either run Grand Alliance Order, use the Wardancers as Wildwood Rangers and Waywatchers as Sisters of the Watch and the eagle riders potentially as swifthawk Skycutter allies, or just find a new opponent that's less worried about you using older rules that are in no way overpowered. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Xin said:

The question is will wanderers be better without or with allies( for examlpe order draconis, sylvaneth, stormcast) 

It there an option to edit post?  

Well I posted my idea for a first list. In a waystone pathfinders list I think it's about getting the correct balance between shooters (which need to be wanderers in the batallion to benefit from the bonus) and troops to screen/defend them. In the last category you could use allies but again they couldn't use the teleport options so it would be hard to optimizer their use then, not to mention EG are a pretty solid defensive choice anyway. I think I'll start with a full wanderer army and only add allies if they have an obvious use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, darkspear said:

I only use allies for 2500 point games.  My wanderers can sustain itself at 2k

what kind of list are you using at 2k? Im still pretty new at Wandereds but I got a TON for very cheap recently (including over a dozen warhawk riders, wardancers, and 20 glade riders ><) Im going to convert my High Elf spearmen to eternal guard, glade riders to wild riders/reavers, and white lions to rangers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Equinox said:

Looking for thoughts on what is the role of Sisters of the Watch in a Wanderers list.  Comparing them against a 20 model unit of Glade Guard, I am not sure when the Sisters would be the better option.  

Probably defending an objective behind some EG, move to an objective in your zone turn 1 and stay there the rest of the game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 K list for a 1 vs 1 vs 1 game.

Nomad prince 80 (general, stalker of the hidden paths, viridescent shawl or forget me not)

Spellweaver 80

Glade guard x 30 360

Glade guard x 20 240

Eternal guard x 20 160

Eternal guard x 10 80

The idea is to teleport (as in my strat post a few pages ago)  with the 10 EG and 30 GG + nomad prince + spellweaver. the 20 x EG and 20x GG stay defensive on an objective.

Shawl on the nomad prince. It might make more sense on the spellweaver for the magic but -1 to hit on him increases his survival which is obviously key to the whole strategy. First targets of my shooting would be strong ranged units : also to increase chances of survival of the general.

The army has bodies for objectives and decent ranged damage however the range isn't so great that we won't get into combat I fear which is why smart teleporting will be important. The batallion isn't an option in a 1K game and would be to much of an investment anyway on this level. I've considered sisters of the thorn (for the basic combo EG, mystic shield and shield of thorns) but I really think it would require me to remove too much of what I think would make the army work. I'd be willing to loose maybe 10 GG and 10 EG (which isn't enough) but more and both teleportation group and object defensers would really be to light to make either of those task really effective.

I would like to include 2 waywatchers, they should be worth it. Maybe delete 10 gg and 10 eg for them(both from the biggest units)? Suggestions?

Edited by Aezeal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There isn't a lot of punch in the army. I was going to suggest maybe swapping 20 Glade guard for a treelord but we only have 200pts for allies in a vanguard army. If you go order and use it your whole army is slow anyway so the Treelord can keep up and it's tough with a handy combat debuff. I understand you want to use the teleporting ability so it's not an option. Wild riders are all you have for speed if you're keeping to wanderers but they lack punch too. Only Rangers have punch but they cost more than other elites for a niche ability plus monsters can avoid them easily. Get 2x 10 Rangers to improve your odds of trapping a monster.

 After your GG Alpha strikes you're left with defensive tactics only and due to lack of speed you probably won't have grabbed the right key objectives to defend. Trying to attack with defensive Eternal guard and average shooting will be painful.

If you're taking a spell weaver her spell works best on Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorn (Warhawks even better!) so either swap her for Shadow dancer who can fight better, dart about quickly with his spell and add punch to combat along with your Nomad or swap out as many units as you can for cavalry units + Spell Weaver. I don't have much faith in Wanderer shooting. SotW are too expensive and moving loses you shots. GG are just average with no way to buff them beyond Nomad Princes re-roll 1's without a Hurricanum.

2 units of 5 Tree Revenants or one unit of 10 is 160 Pts and they look wanderer enough to maintain the right theme and they teleport with way pipes so they could be your cheap flag grabbers? They arent very tough though so they wont last long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WABBIT said:

There isn't a lot of punch in the army. I was going to suggest maybe swapping 20 Glade guard for a treelord but we only have 200pts for allies in a vanguard army. If you go order and use it your whole army is slow anyway so the Treelord can keep up and it's tough with a handy combat debuff. I understand you want to use the teleporting ability so it's not an option. Wild riders are all you have for speed if you're keeping to wanderers but they lack punch too. Only Rangers have punch but they cost more than other elites for a niche ability plus monsters can avoid them easily. Get 2x 10 Rangers to improve your odds of trapping a monster.

 After your GG Alpha strikes you're left with defensive tactics only and due to lack of speed you probably won't have grabbed the right key objectives to defend. Trying to attack with defensive Eternal guard and average shooting will be painful.

If you're taking a spell weaver her spell works best on Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorn (Warhawks even better!) so either swap her for Shadow dancer who can fight better, dart about quickly with his spell and add punch to combat along with your Nomad or swap out as many units as you can for cavalry units + Spell Weaver. I don't have much faith in Wanderer shooting. SotW are too expensive and moving loses you shots. GG are just average with no way to buff them beyond Nomad Princes re-roll 1's without a Hurricanum.

2 units of 5 Tree Revenants or one unit of 10 is 160 Pts and they look wanderer enough to maintain the right theme and they teleport with way pipes so they could be your cheap flag grabbers? They arent very tough though so they wont last long.

Yeah damage will have to come from shooting with GG, with prince and 20+ hitting is on 2+ which offsets the 4+ to wound a bit and 50 of those shot and one volley of 3 rend will do some damage I hope.. But I'll probably put 2 waywatchers in for some rend 1 shots . I guess that means removing 10 gg and EG.  Not s o happy with dropping 10 GG since it means loosing the bonus quickly if I do it on the unit of 30 or not getting it a all on the unit of 20.

The spellweaver is there mostly for mystic shield and unbinding, not for healing unless a unit of GG is just below 20. I've considered dropping her but mystic shield is strong and leaving me completely vulnerable  to magic is a risk too, not to mention a backup character can be nice for some scenarios.

Edited by Aezeal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...