New guy here!

Hi all,

Just wanted to say "Hello" and perhaps ask some questions.

I used to dabble a bit in Warhammer Fantasy for a while, truth be told I was mainly "collecting" Army Books and was really keen on the story. Never could get around to buying, assembling and painting a real army in the "old" Fantasy system as awesome as that might have been.

So when AoS came around I pretty much ignored it and all I saw was GW "destroying" the one thing I liked the most about the "old" system which was all the story stuff (fluff) etc.

It was not until today that I actually tried to play it... and I have to admit, I really enjoyed the game I had.

So I bought the big hardcover Age of Sigmar "Rule Book" (I believe that's what you call it?) and also the "Grand Alliance Order" book as well as Gates of Azyr.

The reason I did not buy anything else is because I don't think I want to play Stormcast Eternals, Khorne, Sylvaneth or any of the other "new" models that are out yet.
I do like Dwarves but I don't like the new Fyreslayers.

The guy mentioned there is a new Khorne book coming out this week with new models potentially and a new Dwarf book. Would anyone be able to tell me more about the latter?

Is there a roadmap for stuff that is coming out? I'd also be interested in Dark Elves and potentially Empire (Free Peoples?)

Thank you!!

Doesn't look like there will be any new Khorne minis. The new Dwarfs/Duardin look fantastic but if you're pining for the old world then they might bring you out in hives...
They're steampunk magic airship astronauts. Not a whiff of a horned helmet, ale flagon or ruddy nose.
As for roadmap... As good as it gets is that as the story develops you get little glimmers of what's coming.
As for Dark Elves / free peoples - what's in GA:Order is probably it for a while. We know there is an Aelven faction on the horizon, and they are very, very broadly what might be considered "dark elves" - but only in the sense that Chihuahuas and Rottweilers are both types of dog...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The bad (but likely, grain of salt) news is that AoS isn't likely to be doing anything normal with relation to the Old World. Get ready for Fantasy turned up to 11, there won't be much grounding to our real, physical world. 

If you really love the old story and would like to play games without buying models (since there probably won't be anybody to play anyway), I suggest picking up Total War Warhammer. The second is due out later this year and will include High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and Skaven to the list of Empire, Bretonnia, Greenskins, Dwarves, Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, and Warriors of Chaos.

22 minutes ago, SuperHappyTime said:

The bad (but likely, grain of salt) news is that AoS isn't likely to be doing anything normal with relation to the Old World. Get ready for Fantasy turned up to 11, there won't be much grounding to our real, physical world. 

If you really love the old story and would like to play games without buying models (since there probably won't be anybody to play anyway), I suggest picking up Total War Warhammer. The second is due out later this year and will include High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, and Skaven to the list of Empire, Bretonnia, Greenskins, Dwarves, Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, and Warriors of Chaos.

Funnily enough Total War Warhammer is the reason I looked in to AoS today haha. Just finished the main campaign with the Dwarves.

10 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

If you like fluff check out City of Secrets.  It's pretty great and is the best indication of the direction GW is heading in so far.

I loved this book and second this suggestion.

Also, check out the Kharadron Overlords linked above. I love love love them, and they are rumored to be up for preorder on April 15th. I can't wait!

Another thing to consider is the Spire of Dawn box set. It includes 2 armies for about $80, so you can get a friend involved too. It has Skaven (my favorite army) and High Elves (my favorite army to kill).

47 minutes ago, Chillpill said:

I have to admit, I do not like the look of the new Dwarves. Too much of a crossover to 40K for me there.

None of my friends are into this sort of stuff, which is why I am holding off from buying a starter box.

So what do you like? What army would you be collecting if old Warhammer Fantasy Battles was still around? The vast majority of the old armies are still kicking around in one form or another.

Unless you want to get in on something brand new, in which case you'll just have to play the waiting game and see what happens. GW seem to run a pretty tight ship when it comes to upcoming releases and rumours these days.

54 minutes ago, Chillpill said:

I always had a soft spot for Dwarves (now Dispossessed I think?) in terms of story and fluff and Dark Elves in terms of the models (and I loved the Malus Darkblade books).

For Dark Elves (Aelfs!) the Scourge Privateers have been mentioned quite a few times - basically the black ark models. There's some fun to be had with a dark elf pirate theme if you don't mind converting models as proxies to fill the gaps in their limited list.

Check out these models that they've released since the end of the World-That-Was:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/mistweaver-saih

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/tenebrael-shard

They're elf heroes from Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower and in my opinion both lean toward the Dark Elven side of the spectrum (the lines between high/dark elves seem more blurred in the Mortal Realms, particularly on the mistweaver, but they both hail from the Realm of Shadow). They may be good hints at what GW is planning for [dark/shadow] elves in AOS. When/if 'dark' elves get a release, they may not be quite as we remember them. Part of the reason to tear down the World-That-Was was so GW could protect it's IP. We will probably continue to see all new AOS factions to have some major 'hook' to the theme to try set them apart from competitors' models.

That said we know our new elf gods Tyrion/Teclis awoke in the Realm of Light and Malerion [Malekith] awoke in the realm of Shadow, and both realms have seemingly not been explored/revealed much in the lore we have so far. This leaves it quite open for new factions filling the broader archtype of high/dark elves but with new twists. Since the forces of Alarielle have already been addressed, I myself may be waiting forever for some real Wood Elves. Would love to see some new Wardancer models 'dialed up to 11' on the Native American theme or something. 

And as a longtime fan of Total War who had only vaguely heard of Warhammer before last year's excellent TWW, I can say that I was directly pushed to make the plunge into tabletop wargames for the first time by the Wood Elf DLC. I enjoyed my playthrough of the Dwarves, less so the Empire, but the Wood Elves are just the most fun I've ever had playing Total War (love their lore and look too). Really reccommend them for a second playthrough.

The general's handbook is quite useful to have, as it has Allegiance abilities for the Grand Alliances - which is important if you have a mixed subfaction army or an army with no associated Battletome. Also lists point costs for Matched Play, but those can also be found at the now semi-official scrollbuilder website. It has lots of other stuff and you will probably want one, but you may hold off as a second edition is on the way (no release date).

23 minutes ago, Chillpill said:

I feel a bit dirty for saying this but I really like the looks of the Iron Jawz.

That's ok, don't over think, just let it happen. Let Gork (or Mork) into your life, if you accept them into your heart and confess with your mouth a Waaagh, you'll feel better, and then the bashin' can being!

You would not be alone in having both! I have a ton of Dispossessed, and then was seduced by the Ironjawz, and I have seen at least one other person on these forums where those are the two armies they have (coincidentally, both of us also plan to lighten our wallets again the instant Kharadron drop). Something about a 4" move and a 4+ save just feels so right! ;) 

Archived