Dynamic Painting Log

Hullo folks. I am hopefully on the path to rounding up my slipshod Nurgle Army before I move onto the new Sky Dwarves, so I fancied collecting the various photos I'd taken into one place (everyone else has a plog!) as well as ask for some advice on where to go next. 

I only got back into the hobby at the start of 2017, after a 10 year leave of absence (although I didn't particularly paint much before) and so painting is pretty new to me. There are a lot of places to go for great advice, including GWs own videos. But I want my dwarves to look top notch, and I think that means levelling up my technique a little.

So I want to know what the best advice you have is. I find that I have the most trouble with gradual blends or colour fades the most. I have recently invested in some Lahmian Medium, and also 2 Windsor and Newton 7 Series brushes for details (they really are excellent), and for my Dwarves I have kind of planned my palette and basing style in my head. 

So yeah, Criticism and Feedback on stuff would be very appreciated, as well as links to videos or blogs on technique and style. I think due to work and uni I have been a little impatient in some instances so I know that has led to some errors, but specific advice would be welcome (unless it links to that Next Level Painting guy. as good as his stuff can be his voice and demeanour just ruins me.

On to the photos!

This is the whole bunch, so far, shelved. I don't have close ups of the drones yet: 

BpTLacf.jpg

My initial 3 heroes. Order of Completion was Lord of Plagues, Herald of Nurgle, Lord of Chaos

dYkEYPj.jpg

My Blightkings, which I am proudest of, by far., but I am not too happy with some of the bruising.

rltrBBe.jpg

Chaos Sorcerer which was done recently as a reward for shifting a metric tonne of essays out of my way

(this one appears to have been hit by some bad compression?)

7c4BhR0.jpg

As per the other thread, this is my WIP Epidemus. I didn't actually buy this myself, it was a gift from some friends so It has taken a lot of psyching up to paint because the detail is intimidating and granular, which I find quite different from the regular GW plastic cast heavy contrast detail. (Apologies for messy thumbnail)

xAtseO8.jpg

Hnm9pwm.jpg

I'll try and sort a lightbox or at least a proper white background for the things I haven't got proper pictures of: Warriors, Plaguebearers and Plague Drones. I think I have at least, with Nurgle, managed to attack a variety of different textures and techniques, some better than others, but would still be curious for advice!

Thanks!

Edited by DynamicCalories
  • Like 11

In terms improvements I think looking at the blight kings I'd like to see more variation across the armour plates so that there is darker to lighter shading. You could do it with some selective washing towards the undersides, or try and layer in a few more highlight layers. You could also be more daring with the highlights in places and push them a bit more so you get more contrast. You have some areas that nail this well, such as the horns on the Chaos Lord, but in other places the colours are a bit flat

However the models themselves look great as they are. By pushing your skills a bit more you will have a really stand out army. 

The colour of the verdigris works well with the lime green armour, so perhaps a darker blue / turquoise glaze for the darker parts of the armour?

Still, great work so far - your choice of colours is pretty good too. It's very easy to default to the normal dark greens and browns that Nurgle is often plastered with, so good work for breaking that trend!

Thanks guys! 

For the selective shading you've both suggested, I imagine it's best achieved by a wash - do you know the best way to stop the wash from having that "tide mark" it so often gets? I often struggle on horns with the gradiation, even following Master Duncan's tips ends up with if looking far more layered that gradual - the horns on the Chaos Lord seem to be total luck as they ended up looking great and I couldn't really identify any material difference in technique.

As for high contrast shading, I think that's because so far I've done the typical base, wash, layer, edge without pushing to a further and final edge highlight, mainly because nurgling green is the top end of the greens and I usually use screaming skull for the last layer. I suppose mixing the two is going to be the way to achieve the best highlight?

• Like 1

The Blightkings are great!  As is the whole army but the Blightkings are especially successfull because you have a nice level of contrast going on.  Main reason why is that you have a nice balance between warm and cold colours.  The photography may not be helping in that regard with your other pieces.  

Generally with any miniature you also need areas of simplicity so that your eye gets a rest every once in a while.  Nurgle are tricky to pull off in this manner as the temptation is to load up on the contagion. :)  Especially plaguebearers as you dont have the armour to naturally break things up.  I feel that rather than focusing on the technical for now I would work on getting the balance right between Warm and cold colours, high levels of detail and simplicity and finally levels of contrast.  If you improved on only these points I think you would see a hige leap in the final output, even before working on improving blending and other advanced techniques.

Once the basics are there then I would look to improve on techniques.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

Thanks guys! 

For the selective shading you've both suggested, I imagine it's best achieved by a wash - do you know the best way to stop the wash from having that "tide mark" it so often gets? I often struggle on horns with the gradiation, even following Master Duncan's tips ends up with if looking far more layered that gradual - the horns on the Chaos Lord seem to be total luck as they ended up looking great and I couldn't really identify any material difference in technique.

As for high contrast shading, I think that's because so far I've done the typical base, wash, layer, edge without pushing to a further and final edge highlight, mainly because nurgling green is the top end of the greens and I usually use screaming skull for the last layer. I suppose mixing the two is going to be the way to achieve the best highlight?

To stop the tide mark water the wash down more with Lahmian medium and apply a couple of coats, regarding contrast don't be scared to go bold with your highlights, a tiny spot highlight will make the viewer focus on that part so use it to draw attention to a particular area.

You don't have to use green to highlight green, experiment on a test model, using say yellow, white, orange will add a dynamic to the model. Experiment is the key.

Watch lots of videos from different painters and find a style that suits you and copy what they do.

W&N Series 7 are my goto brush they are amazing, expensive but worth it.

I think you have done a very good job so far and pushing yourself is a very satisfying aspect of this hobby, keep it up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DynamicCalories said:

Thanks guys! 

Look up a technique called "feathering". I'm pretty sure it was illustrated in a recent White Dwarf.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! I wanted my Duardin to at least pay lip service to the traditional idea of Dwarves so I thought copper beards would be cool. The plan as to use Hashut but it seems that Screaming Bell on its own is essentially fine!

I think the gold works better after its been shaded myself, as seen here:

18190806_10158537876245697_1493097748_n.jpg?oh=45e1c0dfa0be893f55bd6c3c54da0ac2&oe=5904F6A4

I really need to buy a drill to stop these guns looking dumb

• Like 2

I am still having trouble with my shades. I painted up part of my frigate, and the shading stage was frankly awful. Streaky Wash everywhere. I am going to re-layer to tighten it up, but I am trying to figure out why it keeps happening. I shake well, I try and get an even coat and draw the paint to where it needs to be... but regardless of all that, unlike Duncan's perfect coverage, I get uneven patchiness. I think it may be because the light I use is actually fairly warm, and it might be drying the shade unevenly? 

Either way, there are two options, either I re base and re-shade, or I layer over and see if some neat layering can fix it?.

Anywho - it seems like my admiral didn't attach last time, so here he is. Should be finished with him tonight, off out to buy the last few highlight paints it seems I need to get stuff looking tip-top. Someone elsewhere said they look like they're wearing Twirl Wrappers, and I can't unsee it now.

KUYGI0O.jpg

Edited by DynamicCalories

I think this guy is almost done now? Gonna finish all of them before I get to basing.
There's one glaring mistake on his beard which needs correcting and I think his green lens needs work, but other than that I am happy to let him take his place in command of the fleet.

IMG_5064.JPG.ad0978c7afd8d1fc6999ce8188e87021.JPG

Try adding some medium to your shade just a drop to thin it a tad or you could use some retarder to slow the drying process, don't overload your brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I watched Duncan's Gunhauler video and his trick seems to be that he uses HUNNERS of wash, then covers it all up. I've figured the issue with my frigate though. The pale banding should have only used shade on the rivet area it seems. I have lahmian medium but I think you need to be really experienced to see the difference cos I rarely do.

2 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

Really nice stuff and love those coppery beards, really makes them standout and remind you who their forebears were.

Thanks! That was the idea, I love the old ginger bearded dwarves and I think there is plenty of gold already in AoS. These guys remember their roots.

• Like 1

WIP on the frigate. Really not happy with how it's turning out. Such a big model with so much intricate detail seems to invite mistakes. 

Im finding dust and debris to be a nightmare too, adding to the patchiness of the paint work. Almost impossible to get a consistent yellow colour, despite there being at least three layers on. Think i'm going to look into stripping it and starting again. A waste of time. Damn.

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5069.JPG

• Like 3