Soulsmith's Disciples of Tzeentch

Soulsmith

14 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Varnish helps always :) I like your main color! It pairs well with the dark golden trim. 

Thanks :) I really like it just as a colour, so it's great to do an army in it. The trim still has a couple highlight layers to go to make it more burnished bronze. Runelord Brass then Stormlord extreme highlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there guys! Not to tease you but I am afraid no real painting news right now, been busy with work but back to it soon! Today was the start of my GW's local campaign, Blood in the Skies, and I grabbed two games with my Disciples.

Essentially, the games take place either on a normal board, or a special sky board. The aim is to earn plunder, which act like normal objectives, though one is worth 5 (the aethergold). Sky boards hold more plunder, but there is a limit to how many games you can play on them per week. The islands may also move. The campaign is 300 point escalation, with 100 points added a week. Players also get an additional 150 points for summoning. As such, the two games I had today were at an advantage, as I could summon and they could not.

My force was led by a Tzaangor Shaman, with 3 Skyfires, and 10 pink horrors in my summoning pool. Game 1 was against Stormcast, who were made up of 1 lord-celestant, 5 liberators duel-wielding hammers, and 3 prosecutors with hammers. He won deployment, and selected his corner, with me deploying opposite. During his first turn he shuffled forwards off of his island, claiming a plunder token. I deployed on two tokens, and summoned my pink horrors on top of a stack of rocks, which had the 5 plunder token of aethergold. Using arcane bolt from the horrors I killed a prosecutor, and dealt 1 wound to another. Then I flew my skyfires in range, and the shaman to claim another token. In the shooting phase, the horrors dealt with the remaining prosecutors, and the skyfires fluffed it.

The next turn, the island I deployed on moved, further securing the gold upon it. I moved the shaman to the skyfires, and cast Shield of Fate on the horrors. The horrors used arcane bolt on the celestant, dropping him a wound. Shooting phase saw the horrors deal a further 3 wounds to the lord-celestant, and the skyfires again fluffing their rolls. In his own shooting, the celestant killed 4 horrors, who reappeared in the battleshock phase due to one of the Destiny Dice I had.

IMAG0824.jpg.ba54010827dbcfd9722c650d6ff139ed.jpg

The next turns went similarly, with the lord-celestant falling to magic, and the liberators making it into combat with the horrors, only to fall to shooting and claws from all sides, with the final warrior of Sigmar fleeing the field (or being tactically withdrawn?)

IMAG0825.jpg.9a2b2b2cf743707250b11ba048fe3134.jpg

IMAG0826.jpg.1f017809b4cd48dc48569e5dbe59b07d.jpg

A solid victory, earning me 13 plunder!

My next game was against Kharadron Overlords, who were hurriedly assembled having been purchased whilst I played my first game. The force was an Aetherkhemist, 3 Skywardens (Aethermatic Volleygun, Drill Cannon), and 5 Grundstok Thunderers (one of everything). The map was rejiggered, with most the gold landing firmly towards the corner he deployed in (as he hadn't played, the rules were the player with least plunder chooses deployment).

IMAG0828.jpg.22f255e82f3998f7bd95f3254c5eb9ce.jpg

(Tokens yet to be distributed, aethergold placed however)

Also, Tzeentch smiled on me:

IMAG0827.jpg.875eb2b653ae057d85eb724455c3cc5b.jpg

This game played out similarly, I took the same spells, though remembered to give the pink horrors Bolt of Change as well. No islands drifted in this game however. I deployed south of the realmgate, as close to the left hand side of the board as my corner (bottom right) allowed. I summoned my horrors in the left hand corner, claiming gold. In the shooting phase his khemist rolled 11 attacks, and swiftly deleted one of my skyfires. I had no idea these fellas were so nasty! Not wanting anything to do with that, I promptly Bolt of Change'd him with  Destiny Dice to remove the duardin from existence. (I know some people disagree with Destiny Dice being used for mortal wounds, but I stand by the writer of the book using them as such being law. At these low points it is horrific, but were I to have more targets and an opponent able to unbind, it would be different)

A volley shot from the thunderers left of the realmgate killed three horrors, with 1 returning from the realm of Tzeentch in my battleshock. The skywardens held the aethergold in his deployment. In my turn, shooting from the horrors and remaining skyfires killed the thunderers. I was surprised that they had 1 wound each, though it explains the points for them being so cheap, with the amount of damage they can produce. I did get lucky rolling two sixes for my skyfire hits.

18489484_1316955925049544_7519790135969652793_o.jpg.a95eb9cb26bb1b4ef228eeaab73083a2.jpg

IMAG0829.jpg.c40c0e345c0ad66a6f6fda1b556ffde2.jpg

18517983_1316955971716206_3487806230025455454_o.jpg.8bf4532eb2a30427b9d078eb506de8ea.jpg

18423263_1316956041716199_8578680547076726037_o.jpg.4cbd469b24b9a2ad32c7452034a8bb28.jpg

I then attempted Fold Reality and popped the Skyfires out of existence. Whoops! Thought it would be more fun to not use a DD for it (also wasn't certain if I can). I then moved up and lost some more horrors to the skywardens, before Bolt of Change removed them as well. I did however end with 5 plunder, to my opponents six! Was fun to play against the Kharadrons, certainly seem less threatening at lower points, though I will keep an eye on their ranges, there is a lot of big rend in their force. Both players were new to Sigmar too, so I did my best to help them, but at the end of the day it's a campaign, so the skyfires are sticking around (Also I don't own anything else).

18449333_1316955945049542_614672448164709510_o.jpg.ef2f3a5f54709a43ee83eab4e3675763.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the read anyway! Fun little skirmish-ey games, and a great board from GW York! I will be turning my forces exploits from this campaign into fluff so good to keep a record! Maybe when I have some more painted minis to show for it. Discs should be finished soon though, and honestly I think the tzaangor riders will be easier :P More interesting to paint anyway! Not sure how to paint leather on them yet but will cross that when I come to it.

• 2 weeks later...

So discs are nearly done, just got to finish horns, silver, and gems on the shaman's disc and gems on the silver disc as well. Generally pleased though really not happy with how the little screamers came out. So much fiddly detail and really fine too so I think the paint has already lost some of it. I'll see if it grows on me or I can ignore it, otherwise I will be tempted to remove them and greenstuff the energy smooth.

IMAG0833.jpg

IMAG0834.jpg

IMAG0835.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/27/2017 at 10:10 AM, Soulsmith said:

So discs are nearly done, just got to finish horns, silver, and gems on the shaman's disc and gems on the silver disc as well. Generally pleased though really not happy with how the little screamers came out. So much fiddly detail and really fine too so I think the paint has already lost some of it. I'll see if it grows on me or I can ignore it, otherwise I will be tempted to remove them and greenstuff the energy smooth.

I found the same thing. Those baby screamers are super fiddly to try and stick to the bottom vortex (it's also not totally intuitive how they fit there either.) I think when I build the next three of mine, I'll just leave them off and use them somewhere else. 

Archived