Ironjawz Fluff Question

BrAiKo

27 minutes ago, Thain said:

I don't like the new(ish) "orcs don't build" bit of fluff either. Because, dagnabbit, I want to build myself an orc castle! 

Again I must point at the fluff and the audio dramas, - I think the one I am referring to is called "Big red one". It is stated in there that Ironjawz like to build high, because it's like the Orruks themselves - the bigger the badder.

How can orcs don't build! And again, with all the orc tribes in the realms of Age of Sigmar, its totally posible to have Orruk tribes that LOVE to build things. Just like the arrer boyz, they are a little weird, but we love them nonetheless.

If they were fungus, they need to have some cave setelment of a kind, as the procest should take time. I realy do not care how just tell me how, if you get what I am saying [emoji6]

I'm not sure where I read it, but I thought that Grots take care of the little fungi in birthing fields till the Orruks are big enough to set out on their own. Snotlings also help I think.

This may be 40k lore though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Galas said:

How can orcs don't build! And again, with all the orc tribes in the realms of Age of Sigmar, its totally posible to have Orruk tribes that LOVE to build things.

I'm not talking about the idols and shrines to Gork (or possibly Mork) that all the Orcs build. Ironjawz are as likely to build those as any other orc. But canonically Ironjawz aren't going to build castles or cities:

"Ironjawz do not build cities; they are a nomadic clan, wandering from one place to another looking for battle, and only pausing long enough to loot before moving on." (Destruction Battletome: Ironjawz, p. 11)

Now, as always is the case with these games, GW has left us a lot of room to customize our own collections and theme our own forces. My Ironjawz are going to be led by a Megaboss who has decided he quite likes building castles almost as much as he likes knockin' them down. 

Yeah, that makes sense. In the old World Orc were too nomadic tribes normally, but they tend to build semi-permanent outpost or even cities in the badlands to go back after raiding and war.

""""cities"""". Orc style. Just put together a lot of raided wood, stones, and stick it together with loots of squig poo.

In Under-Ulgu did Klubba Khan 
A stout cavern-home decree: 
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran 
Through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea. 
So twice five miles of fertile ground 
With walls and towers were girdled round; 
And there were gardens lush with poisoned shrooms, 
Where blossomed many an goblin-fruited tree; 
And here Duradin clans ancient as the hills, 
Enslaved by despotic greenery. 

38 minutes ago, Thain said:

I'm not talking about the idols and shrines to Gork (or possibly Mork) that all the Orcs build. Ironjawz are as likely to build those as any other orc. But canonically Ironjawz aren't going to build castles or cities:

"Ironjawz do not build cities; they are a nomadic clan, wandering from one place to another looking for battle, and only pausing long enough to loot before moving on." (Destruction Battletome: Ironjawz, p. 11)

Now, as always is the case with these games, GW has left us a lot of room to customize our own collections and theme our own forces. My Ironjawz are going to be led by a Megaboss who has decided he quite likes building castles almost as much as he likes knockin' them down. 

Maybe he knocked so many down, eventually the rubble just built up around him and all of sudden found himself in the middle of his own, massive Castell Detritus

3 hours ago, Anaticula said:

Again I must point at the fluff and the audio dramas, - I think the one I am referring to is called "Big red one". It is stated in there that Ironjawz like to build high, because it's like the Orruks themselves - the bigger the badder.

Indeed, in fact they are known to build quite the sight for strongholds and they were featured as the defending force in All-Gates when they introduced the rules for siege battles. IIRC

Greenskins were fungus in WHFB 8th (or 7th, whatever the last one was) edition.  There is a blurb in both the Army Book as well as the Skarsnik novel.  No AOS specific references yet that I'm aware of.

"There are myriad smaller greenskin domains scattered across the world. Many of these Orc and Goblin enclaves were once part of a Waaagh! that gained footholds in new lands after the invasion's inevitable dissolution.  Such pockets of greenskins are not unlike debris washed to a new locale by raging floodwaters.  Sometimes these survivors are hunted and exterminated, or die fighting each other, but sometimes these greenskin offshoots take root and thrive.  There, in seclusion, the greenskins adapt, multiply and become strong again.  In this way some tribes grow distinct whilst re-sporing in there newfound and remote surroundings." - Army Book

Same here, I have my ironjawz as the head honchos of a large collective of destruction forces living in an ancient ruined city. The gobbos do the building work for them, because they're runty and kunnin'.

I think that stronghold-dwelling Ironjawz could be quite fluffy if you stick them at some major crossroad where battle is frequently coming to their doorstep out of necessity.  Or maybe they've collected a bunch of important and powerful artifacts that everyone else wants, etc.  Or, maybe there is some resource there that makes their Gruntas meaner, their weapons bashier or whatever so they just range out from the stronghold.

My assumption is that the Skybasher clan must have some sort of flying stronghold or airships to do their thing.  It makes sense that Ironjawz are generally nomadic but making your warclan different is half the fun.

I'm thinking that a Realmgate would make a suitably inticing reason for a warband of Ironjawz to set up a semi-permanent base. Interesting things to eat and fascinating new people to krump would, literally, appear on their doorstep at unpredictable intervals... and whenever the voices in the Weirdnob's head tell him the time is right, some of the lads could cross through to go seek out new worlds and new civilizations to krump.

Realmgåte: SG-Orc

18 hours ago, Thain said:

As I have stated above, it is in the Audobooks that Ironjawz build fortresses and they build them high.

1 hour ago, Thain said:

That contradicts the army book... 

Not necessarily. It's more like the Roman Army. They used to put up some kind of fortified camp every night. That's how I imagine it, more in Ironjawz size. :D

Also, nomads do stay here and there for a while. 

Yeah, Nomadic people tend to camp during months in a place before going to another place, and those places thend to be the ciclical, because they wander with the seasons/animals they hunt/etc...

And if I remember correctly, in the "how the greenskins reproduce"; I remember that in the end times it was stated that a famous Fire Mage was killing Hordes of Greenskins in the badlands with fire magic, because that way the spores where destroyed and they can't reproduce.

I don't know if thats the case in Age of Sigmar.

8 minutes ago, Galas said:

And if I remember correctly, in the "how the greenskins reproduce"; I remember that in the end times it was stated that a famous Fire Mage was killing Hordes of Greenskins in the badlands with fire magic, because that wey the spores where destroyed and they can't reproduce.

I don't know if thats the case in Age of Sigmar.

Since the mortal realms come from the world-that-was : why should it be different?

Well. Orcs were recreated from the souls of dead orcs so... I asume that they are still fungus in nature, but I'm not gonna post it as fact before it its clarified in the AoS fluff. In a personal level I think that they still reproduce from spores.

1 hour ago, Galas said:

Well. Orcs were recreated from the souls of dead orcs so... I asume that they are still fungus in nature, but I'm not gonna post it as fact before it its clarified in the AoS fluff. In a personal level I think that they still reproduce from spores.

Orc souls being reborn in dormant orruk fungi would be funky. Dirty greenskin stormcast :P I agree, my guys camp in their city that is a frequent site for trade and manufacture, due to relatively close realmgates to Life and Metal realms. Also I have the whole shebang led by a triumvirate of great shamans, one weirdnob, one wurzagg, and one grot - representing the main parts of the force. Also the three heads of gorkamorka (don't ask where the spider god head is ;)). To this end, the other ladz don't question them, it's a lot of waaagh energy to go up against.

Archived