Rereading ET and linking it to AoS

Turgol

So I just re-read most of ET. I still have to re-read Archaon, but it is the one book more closely connected to AoS, so the exercise is less important there. When I first read the (still very thin) AoS fluff, I had the feeling that it was so detached from ET that the work on both product had been done without much connection. This time it felt a bit different. I could clearly see that some stuff was written in light of AoS fluff. Two are the main lines that caught my attention and are clearly connected to AoS fluff.

The first one I had completely forgotten. When Malekith visits Ghrond to tell Morathi that he will not punish her for her betrayal and that he is going to take his place in Ulthuan at last, Morathi's "revelation" is intriguing: after trying to dissuade him by telling him that he has been beaten so many time by the HE, Malekith asks her for a true hinsight of the future. She stops for a while, like scrying the future, and tells him that if he goes to Ulthuan he will lose everything that makes him who he is, even his name. At the time of my first reading it must have felt some kind of anticipation of the fact that he would become much more soft, the Phoenix/Eternity King he ended up being. But I think the name part was deliberately put and she is not talking about Malekith's ET future but rather his post ET future, namely him losing his very body (remember: he is know a being of pure shadow) and name (Malerion). Iam also more inclined now to believe the theory that Morathi will again betray Malekith/Malerion and become some sort of Slaanesh avatar.

The second one I remembered, but not very precisely. When Itza is destroyed and the Slann/lizardmen take off, the book states explicitly "And so the Slann went back to the stars". At the time that seemed simply a metaphor for their space travel somewhere else; of course they did not go to "the stars" but rather what the stars metaphorically represent (space travel, other worlds). But Seraphon is precisely about Slann inhabiting the stars in Azyr. 

This made me a little bit more optimistic that in the future, the relationship between AoS gods and warhammer characters (incarnated) will be explored. None of the releases so far, except for stormcast, really let explore this connection. Certainly not Fyreslayers nor Chaos. Alarielle just is described as suffering from nostalgia for the old world and transporting souls from it (like Drycha's). But she lacks so far any dramatic connection to other characters from her world. This is obviously natural: she had no mortal relationship with Sigmar at all. What I mean by all this is the following: the real carriers of old world divine drama are the elven heroes/now gods. I hope that once Malekith and his whole dramatic relationship to Morathi is revealed, or Teclis and his identity as mastermind of the whole ET fiasco (=world destruction) is explored, we do get to feel better thew relationship between worlds. 

33 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Nice @Turgol.

Now if only we could find out where Araloth went!

That is something I had already forgotten. Not Araloth, but the fact that after the dead of the old elven pantheon, it was not just Malekith/Tyrion/Alarielle that became new gods, but that a new goddess of the death came to be (Eldyra). In he ET plot, she used her power to create the Haven and act as goddess of death there. The Haven seems to have failed (or maybe not). But maybe we will revisit Eldyra, our own version of the fresh new 40k Ynnead?

21 minutes ago, Turgol said:

That is something I had already forgotten. Not Araloth, but the fact that after the dead of the old elven pantheon, it was not just Malekith/Tyrion/Alarielle that became new gods, but that a new goddess of the death came to be (Eldyra). In he ET plot, she used her power to create the Haven and act as goddess of death there. The Haven seems to have failed (or maybe not). But maybe we will revisit Eldyra, our own version of the fresh new 40k Ynnead?

Indeed, there was some implication (to me anyway) that Araloth could also become a god, or indeed an avatar of one, and restart the cycle.

Whilst I like the links you've drawn above, part of me isn't convinced End Times properly links to AoS. I'd love it to though. It could be the catalyst for me to really explore to AoS fluff if they start revisiting or indeed continuing some of those arcs. Morathi & Slaanesh vs Malerion could be amazing, along with Tyrion/Teclis. Essentially it's all the Aelf stuff that get's me hard in anticipation, the Elven fluff from the Old World (inc End Times) was my real passion.

That said, Settra seemed like he still had a part to play! Would love to see him and the Tomb Kings return to AoS in style.

1 minute ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Indeed, there was some implication (to me anyway) that Araloth could also become a god, or indeed an avatar of one, and restart the cycle.

Whilst I like the links you've drawn above, part of me isn't convinced End Times properly links to AoS. I'd love it to though. It could be the catalyst for me to really explore to AoS fluff if they start revisiting or indeed continuing some of those arcs. Morathi & Slaanesh vs Malerion could be amazing, along with Tyrion/Teclis. Essentially it's all the Aelf stuff that get's me hard in anticipation, the Elven fluff from the Old World (inc End Times) was my real passion.

That said, Settra seemed like he still had a part to play! Would love to see him and the Tomb Kings return to AoS in style.

Well, that was also my feeling with AoS: continuity with WH and ET fluff is declared but not real. And to be completely honest, Iam still not convinced that this continuity is taken seriously. Let's say that after re-reading ET I'am less pessimistic about it but I do think that GW should work with that. And I said: elves are the real drama queens of ET, so I would not be disappointing if, as I think, the new Duardin stuff does not explore at all this continuity (although some mention of Grugni being somehow connected to Gelt would be cool), but I will be if the new aelf stuff does not.

My list of conclusions i need are: 

Araloth

Abhorash and his last stand

Gotrek and Felix: the end kinda raised.more questions than it answered.

I belive they had plan of what the mortal realms would look like but alot of the details from ET dont match up. Yet.

1 minute ago, KHHaunts said:

My list of conclusions i need are: 

Araloth

Abhorash and his last stand

Gotrek and Felix: the end kinda raised.more questions than it answered.

I belive they had plan of what the mortal realms would look like but alot of the details from ET dont match up. Yet.

About Gotrek and Felix: I think it was meant to simply anticipate the fact that Grimnir was now taking a role. What is funny is the fact that they killed him right away (well, kinda). Gotrek is allegedly still out there, acting as some kind of new dwarven god in eternal battle with chaos. I would love and it would be cool to have him come back. But I sadly do not expect that. 

34 minutes ago, Turgol said:

About Gotrek and Felix: I think it was meant to simply anticipate the fact that Grimnir was now taking a role. What is funny is the fact that they killed him right away (well, kinda). Gotrek is allegedly still out there, acting as some kind of new dwarven god in eternal battle with chaos. I would love and it would be cool to have him come back. But I sadly do not expect that. 

Yeah i of the same oppinion. Its felix's fate which is a little worrying . . . . .

Archived