How best to transport an army

Joycey

13 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

9l really useful boxes with steel sheeting in the bottom and magnets glued into the bases

I just want to echo TerrorPenguin's post again. This is one of the best ways of transporting an army. I get to fit every thing in and keep it fairly safe. Only issue I see is any hard knocks so only best if you are travelling via car to where you are playing where it can be fairly safe. Anything else such as plane/train/bus I would invest in some sort of decent carry case.

For anybody who is looking for an actual carry case rather than a box (aka people like me who don't have a car), Army Case have just released a Kickstarter for the third revision of their magnetic rack system.  I think it's really well priced for what you get (comparable to the KR equivalent).  [ link ]

Magnets are probably the second best way.

A large tote container with sheets of "egg crate" style foam... such as one of those foam sheets you'd lay over the mattress is a decent way.

But the BEST way?

Hire a small army of local children, dress them in tuxedoes, and have them march your miniatures to the game store atop silk pillows.  Bonus points if they do it in a single file line.

On 2/27/2017 at 5:43 AM, Gaz Taylor said:

I just want to echo TerrorPenguin's post again. This is one of the best ways of transporting an army. I get to fit every thing in and keep it fairly safe. Only issue I see is any hard knocks so only best if you are travelling via car to where you are playing where it can be fairly safe. Anything else such as plane/train/bus I would invest in some sort of decent carry case.

This is how I transport all my armies now.  For example... my custom cut foam cases that hold my Tau ran me about $350.00 and still struggle to fit everything assembled (KR Multicase).  My cheap magnetic solution (when buying magents in bulk) I fit my entire Beast Claw Army (3 behemoths, mournfang, ect.) in a clear tub fully assembled.  $15 USD solution to a BIG problem.  Now my Stormcast have a magnetic home.  only $15.   I'm hooked.  Just buy a bunch of 6mm x 2mm rare earth magnets in bulk.  two of these greenstuffed to the bottom of a Thundertusk is fine and most other models will just need one.  I can safely tun the sheet of metal upside down and shake it and know that none of my models will fall off.  If you need more room in a tub you can even glue sheets to the side and lid and store some upside down or sideways.  Really sweet!

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

For anybody who is looking for an actual carry case rather than a box (aka people like me who don't have a car), Army Case have just released a Kickstarter for the third revision of their magnetic rack system.  I think it's really well priced for what you get (comparable to the KR equivalent).  [ link ]

I have one of their prior generations.  Wish I knew this was around the corner.  The price dropped a lot from the last version.  I guess sales have taken off and/or they have sourced a new manufacturer or cheaper production was found.  Im still sticking to my clear totes and sheet metal though.  Same thing for a lot less money.  

13 hours ago, Lord Aquillor said:

I have one of their prior generations.  Wish I knew this was around the corner.  The price dropped a lot from the last version.  I guess sales have taken off and/or they have sourced a new manufacturer or cheaper production was found.  Im still sticking to my clear totes and sheet metal though.  Same thing for a lot less money.  

I was quite shocked by how much they'd brought the price down.  I don't think the construction is quite as sturdy as it uses thinner sheet and you fold it to give it the strength.  I'm still picking one up though and will likely use it in conjunction with one of the KR cases I've got.  Would love to go down the plastic box route but I largely use public transport to get to events so need something that'll go over a shoulder :) 

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I was quite shocked by how much they'd brought the price down.  I don't think the construction is quite as sturdy as it uses thinner sheet and you fold it to give it the strength.  I'm still picking one up though and will likely use it in conjunction with one of the KR cases I've got.  Would love to go down the plastic box route but I largely use public transport to get to events so need something that'll go over a shoulder :) 

My buddy is getting one so I am interested to see how it works out for him.  They hold a lot of 32mm bases.  I can fit a bunch of my Blood Bowl teams in one case and even store some of the plastic stuff upside down to basically give you another shelf.  The only real issue is that most AoS armies wont fit in it I fear.  No way are my BCR fitting in it.  And my Stormcast bases are too large to fit more than 1k points in one.  

Also, if you are rocking metal models, the magnets mostly keep them from sliding around too much, they by no means keep them from toppling over given the right bump in the road. :(  found this one out the hard way. 

Archived