Interest in Slaves to Darkness

Count von Count

Hey guys!

After a binge of the hit TV show Vikings, and another with The Last Kingdom, I had an idea to create an army centered around the Vikings.  I know there is a thread floating around the forums detailing the conversions of Khorne Bloodbound into viking-style warriors, which I think is awesome!  However, I really want to attempt to play an army not based on the different chaos gods.  That said, I do not know enough about the Slaves to Darkness army construction to find a good starting point.

In the end, this will really be a pet project; I'm thinking of just purchasing models to scratch y conversion and painting itch and see where the army goes before I make in competitive.  What do you guys think?  Where should I start?  Also, any alternative models you folks like that maybe I haven't seen?

I really think Chaos Marauders would be a great starting point. They're battleline iirc, and they have that Viking vibe. So you could kill two birds with one stone by filling out your battleline and setting the tone for the rest of the army. You could even make a longship to use as a movement tray/display!

A good idea - my regular opponent had the same notion back in 8th Ed, and built a huge Warriors of Chaos army, starting out with 'Hammer of the Gods' huscarls and vikings for marauders.

The high point (in every sense) was the flying Viking ship for a warshrine...

IMG_4107.JPG

Hey, thanks for the support guys!  I stopped by and picked up a Start Collecting box at my local shop, even if I don't use all of the models its good to get started *ahem*.

I plan to use as many space wolf bits as I can gather, fortunately many 40k players in my group with loads just laying around.  Marauders are a good start too, and I plan to gather some beastmen bits as well to fill it all out. 

I will certainly be keeping a blog!  If only so that I can use you heathens to keep me accountable! xD

• 3 weeks later...

Frostgrave Barbarians (box of 20) look really nice, and are heaps cheap, if you feel those ageing Marauder minis are a bit too "male stripper" for your liking. They are a bit smaller than the new Khorne guys though. I slapped some Marauder Horsemen shields on mine and they look great. Red Box and Mierce also do some incredible Viking minis. This all assumes you're not wed to GW-only minis, of course, and they would never be welcome in a GW store.

• 4 months later...

Archived