Newbie building Nurgle Army - 2000pts

Justinb86

Im New to age of sigmar just picked up the generals handbook and the grand alliance chaos book and starting to plan my first army for 2000pts. Im liking a Mortal Nurgle theme with Pestilant skaven.

Heres what im thinking so far:

Blightguard formation:

Lord of plagues

Rotbringer sorceror

4 units of 5 putrid blightkings

Pestilant Clawpack:

Plague priest

3 units of 10 plague monks

Plague Furnace

This takes me to about 1700 just unsure what to add to it thinking of getting the skaven starter set which would give me a plagueclaw that i could add to it to get a bit of range or i also like the looks of the bloab rotspawned. With being new to Age of Sigmar wanted to seek advice from experience players on where to expand my list or if any changes they would make?

I don't think ur list will be that good.

In first place the lord of plague is completely useless. Secondly, you gave no mobility at all, and since you are not using plaguebearers or warriors, you are fairly weak to shooting. Also blightkings are not battleline unless you have mortal nurgle allegiance (so no skaven nor daemons)

Finally i think that the rotbringers sorcerer is a waste of points since the sorcerer lord is way more powerful. 

Sorry if i am tearing ur list into pieces, but first isn't playable since no battleline, and imho it is also pretty weak. I think that the most competitive choices in nurgle's army are:

1st choices: Epidemius, plaguebearers, blightkings, marauders, plagueclaw, harbinger of decay

2nd choices: bile trolls, sayl, bloab, glottkin, plaguetouched warband, sorcerer, GUO, drones, daemon prince.

3rd: chaos warshrine,chariots, knights, nurglings, warriors, some skavens 

4rd choices: everything else (almost all bad choices that become less bad with some list building)

Thanks i dont mind my list being torn to pieces. Im new to AOS so im happy for any advice i can get. I didn't realise that blightkings weren't battleline with me adding the skaven i just assumed they were cus of the Nurgle tag on the warscroll. I love the blightking models so they are a defo include for me. I did originally look at epidemius purely cus i like the sound of the nurgle tallyman ability so may look into that a bit more and expanding off them more than using the skaven. Whats your opinion of what comes in the nurgle starter kit are they worth it for this kind of list?

Do you mean the daemons of nurgle starter pack? 

That one i think is meh, since plaguebearers are nice to have, drones too, but the herald is awful in game and nurglings are not thar great. Is a great start to build a pure daemon army, since with a couple of these, a GUO, and some other boxes you have a complete army

P.S. great choice in going for blightkings, i love them too

Justin,

welcome me to papa nurgles family. I to run a rotbringers (mortal nurgle) army. I also have a fondness for he pestilens aesthetic.. but unfortunately the two don't mix well. With the current battleline setup for nurgle marked units..rotbringers and pestilens can't be in the same army without universal battleline (either plaguebearers or nurgle marked warriors or marauders.)  this is because blightkings are battleline for mortal nurgle allegiance. Pestilens have the nurgle keyword and benefit from buffs, spells and abilities that affect  urglemujits, but they lack the mortal keyword..which is basically the generic keyword for slaves to darkness. 

if you want a 2000 point army with blightkings and pestilens at this time you need. Minimum of 3 units of 10 plaguebearers. This isn't a bad thing though! PB's are great units and great objective sitters.

another idea is to have a rotbringers army that summons demons. You maintain your mortal nurgle allegiance and an summmon demons into the battlefield for tactical advantage. This wouldn't allow you to take skaven in a list though.. you would need to deploy them on the battlefield. 

The guy tearing your list apart obviously doesn't play nurgle. While he rotbringer sorcerer and lord of plagues are sub par, the blight guard formation is DOPE. I started using the plagetouched warband formation for 2000 points though. While you don't get to use the main ability for the formation feasibly.. you still get -1 to hit (only combat phase though). The benefit is that the battalion only specifies 1 mortal nurgle hero and 7 other mortal nurgle units! So stuff like glotkin, maggoth lords, nurgle marked slaves to darkness all apply. They also benefit from the -1 to hit, as opposed to just he blightkings benefiting from that in the blightguard battalion. Here is my list I have been running lately and having TONS of fun with. Not rofl stomping anyone.. but tons of fun! I to simply love blightkings models and rules.

glotkin 

bloab rotspawned

harbinger of decay - general

festus leecchlord

chaos sorcerer lord with mark of nurgle

5 blightkings

5 blightkings 180

5 blightkings 180

5 blightkings 180

plagetouched warband battalion. 140

chaos sorcerer lord is the only unit not in the battalion. So everyone else is -1 to hit in the combat phase. Bloab gives a chance to do another -1 to hit. Pretty fun! Just an idea. The harbinger of decay is so strong with blightkings. They become tough as nails!

cheers for your great advice on that im thinking i may have to save the skaven for a future list and just focus soley on mortal nurgle list.  Your list does sound like it would be great fun to play im not fussed about making a list that is majorly competetive just one that i can have great fun playing. The blightking models and rules are just too nice to let slip by so they are defo being a focus of what i build my army list around. havent looked into the plague touched warband formation much so will have to check that out. With what you was saying about using plague bearers im assuming thats the skaven plague bearers not the nurgle demon ones is that right?

Nurgle demon plaguebearers are universally battleline for all chaos grand alliance armies. They count as battleline for a pestilens focused army, mortal nurgle etc.. I think you might be thinking of plague monks for the skaven pentilens..but plague bearers are the demon unit. 

You would lose the allegiance to Mortal nurgle or pestilens if you included (not summoned in though) plagueBEARERS, but as of now the only benefit to those is having blightkings or plagemonks (skaven) as battleline. The plaguebearers would not count towards the plagetouched warband because they aren't mortal nurgle. 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

The guy tearing your list apart obviously doesn't play nurgle. While he rotbringer sorcerer and lord of plagues are sub par, the blight guard formation is DOPE.

i play nurgle and a lot since it's my main and only army. 

if blightguard is DOPE i don't think that u play nurgle competitively. blightguard is completely outclassed by plaguetouched warband because:

1) it doesn't require a stupid hero at 100 points that does nothing, both in terms of damage and utility.

2) can hit way larger unit array than blightguard

3) u can combine it with harbinger, bloab etc, which all benefits to the -1 to hit in combat that is HUGE, without wasting (yes wasting) almost 1000 points between blightkings and lord of plague. 

if you really think that the blightguard is nuts i don't really know what to say, go on like this buddy. btw i put warband at rank 2, so...

maybe u didn't just read and put in a random comment to feel better

also blightkings can be played with a mixed list that in my opinion is way way stronger than a pure mortal one and slightly better for some aspects than daemon lists. i don't include skaven cause i never saw them in play.

my list is:

glottkin

sorcerer, mon

sayl

epidemius

30 plaguebearers

2*5 blightkings

20 marauders,mon

10 marauders, mon

plagueclaw

ranged shooting, tally from epidemius (he is really DOPE, not blightguard...), blightkings for cc damage, glottkin that boosts everyone, marauder of 10 as chaff, others to take objective, sayl gives this army so much needed mobility. for example u can block a maw krusha for so many turns if u make them fly in and charge him (potentially is a 30" movement, a thing that nurgle dreams about)

cheers, gl with ur list @Justinb86

Well blightguard gives -1 to hit in shooting and re roll for wounding rolls of 1. Some new player comes in here asking for advice and you starting telling him that his list sucks. Try not to be a ****** next time and offer positive comments. 

Also so I see you use forgeworld (pay to win). Nice. 

10 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Well blightguard gives -1 to hit in shooting and re roll for wounding rolls of 1. Some new player comes in here asking for advice and you starting telling him that his list sucks. Try not to be a ****** next time and offer positive comments. 

Also so I see you use forgeworld (pay to win). Nice. 

since otherwise against stormcast and ironjawz (most popular armies) is a freelose i use it, ofc i use it.

as death, chaos has really few good choices in the whole allegiance, and only 1/2 army that can play stand-alone (bb and tzeentch). other alliances has simply better stuffs, so the only way to go even is to use the most broken stuffs we have. i am not happy of doing it, but there is no possibility.

i was not trying to be an ******, i tried to make a competitive kind of comment. it's almost an year that i ask myself why in the hell i like nurgle, since it is by far the weaker of the gods atm. since i don't want anyone to waste time and money (more important) i tried to make a comment that includes all my thoughts by a competitive aspect of a nurgle list. if i figured like an ******, then i'm sorry, but really wasn't my intention.

if he wants to play with friends with no competitive meaning (i also play with friends but we have a really competitive way of doing it) he can use whatever he wants, all choices are good, and what u like the most becomes what u play. 

however by a competitive aspect, not using for example sayl imho is a bad drawback, cause nothing else in ur army beside some sloppy choices gives mobility. in a competitive aspect unfortunately u have to focus on what makes u win, and i tried to help him in that sense.

P.S. i thinked about dropping my nurgle army by a month or 2 (i am still proxing 400 points-ish), since i don't like to lose at all. unfortunately some minis, like blightkings, glottkin, plaguebearers, and such, still hold me back to sell everything. but from a competitive aspect, since i know that they won't get updated anywhere soon, i am really depressed

8 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

P.S. i thinked about dropping my nurgle army by a month or 2 (i am still proxing 400 points-ish), since i don't like to lose at all. unfortunately some minis, like blightkings, glottkin, plaguebearers, and such, still hold me back to sell everything. but from a competitive aspect, since i know that they won't get updated anywhere soon, i am really depressed

I took a TERRIBLE Nurgle mortal force to Holy Wars this past weekend and landed 5th for general (losing only to the individual who won best general, and even then he acknowledged I was 2 dice rolls from winning the game).  Nurgle Mortals can be competitive.  If some significant pieces get recosted (Glottkin and the Maggoth Lords) in GHB2.0, then we could definitely still be on top tables at every event.  Don't give up hope.

Is glotkin with the points as is without using his command ability? (Harbinger of decay is auto include for me..also allows me to take a command trait) I put him in lists to just soak up immense amounts of damage and put out some hard hits as well. But I wonder if 480 points could be better spent elsewhere 

28 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Is glotkin with the points as is without using his command ability? (Harbinger of decay is auto include for me..also allows me to take a command trait) I put him in lists to just soak up immense amounts of damage and put out some hard hits as well. But I wonder if 480 points could be better spent elsewhere 

i personally think he is not worth using him without his command ability, that boosts ur damage to really dangerous levels (expecially with plaguebearers and soul grinder). however i think that as an hammer unit u can use bile trolls, nice shooting attacks with -2 rend that can be boosted by harbinger, and some decent melee attacks. unfortunately their bravery often make u use inspiring presence on them. otherwise soul grinders are great imho (2 soul grinders are 28 wounds, glottkin is 18, plus they have more reliable shooting damage). only downside is that they aren't mortal nurgle so it forces u to use generic battlelines (plaguebearers, warriors and marauders).

Ive had a bit of a look and a think and ive created a new listed very similar to yours @sal4m4nd3r but ive changed out one of the blightguards.

plaguetouched warband

Harbinger of decay - General

bloab rotspawned

Festus

The Glotkin

3 5 man blightkings

1 10man chaos marauders with mark of nurgle

not included in the warband

2 10man Chaos Marauders with mark of nurgle 

chaos sorceror lord with mark of nurgle 

thinking of using the 2 10man marauders that aren't included in the warband as objective secure units.  Then the others can get the buffs from the warband and focus on taking out the opponent.

Any thoughts on my changes?

I have always wanted to send. 28 man marauder unit running straight into the enemy with fleshy abundance and the grandfathers gift. Having mortal wounds bounce back onto the enemy whilst having 2 wounds each and would be HILARIOUS! Luckily you COULD do that with this list of the mood struck you. 

You could also also run the blightkings as one unit, leave one at home 14 in the unit now so they benefit from grandfathers gift. But that's a huge footprint. It would allow you to put the other two marauder units in the battalion though. 

Im short I like the list. Don't get stuck into one list though! Friendly games are were you experiment with wacky /fun/gimmicky things that can turn into different loadouts.

Archived