Noob question regarding "loadouts"

Cayhn

Hi!

Why would I ever take a Daemon Prince without wings?
Why would the Lord-Celestant on Dracoth not take the Sigmarite Shield?

There are more examples but these two stand out in my games. Point-wise it will be the same if the DP can move 8" or 12".  And the shield won't limit the Dracoth in any way, only improve it with the same point-cost.

We only play matched play. Have I missed something obvious? Is this only for fluff-purposes?

Thanks!

I quite like the simplicity of no single Warscroll* having multiple points costs in matched play, regardless of the options selected.

However, there are a few situations where it is a little strange though, such as Phoenixes; why would you ever run one without an Anointed etc.

*The nearest is probably the two Prosecutor load out options being priced differently, however they do actually have two distinct Warscrolls.

Because you play Narrative and your champion just got promoted to daemonhood but needs a few more kills under his belt before he is allowed wings ;) 

But on a serious note it is indeed just to make sure older models still have valid warscroll. 

Yes, it makes sense that there are different options available especially considering Narrative play. But in matched player there will never be a reason for the Lord-Celestant on Dracoth to not use the shield, and it's not an old model, right?

But I understand, it's just that I like that from 40K, having to weigh the pros and cons of spending points on upgrades instead of models, for example.

17 minutes ago, Cayhn said:

Yes, it makes sense that there are different options available especially considering Narrative play. But in matched player there will never be a reason for the Lord-Celestant on Dracoth to not use the shield, and it's not an old model, right?

But I understand, it's just that I like that from 40K, having to weigh the pros and cons of spending points on upgrades instead of models, for example.

LCoD from starter set has no shield. LCoD(s) from Dracothian Guard boxset are built with a shield. So the option is to make the older (not old) model work in matched with wysiwyg.

I converted my starter set LCoD and I think you probably should do so but not converting it shouldn't prohibit its use.

So there will never be a reason bar limitations on a hobbyists time and or wallet.

7 minutes ago, Turragor said:

LCoD from starter set has no shield. LCoD(s) from Dracothian Guard boxset are built with a shield. So the option is to make the older (not old) model work in matched with wysiwyg.

I converted my starter set LCoD and I think you probably should do so but not converting it shouldn't prohibit its use.

So there will never be a reason bar limitations on a hobbyists time and or wallet.

Ah! 

Well, I get why they do it then. Still, too bad they do it :)

Archived