First Game Played

frogboy

First Game

So I had an intro to the game yesterday, I enjoyed it. The game is really good. I liked how all the rules were right there on the Warscroll for each unit, makes for the potential of some quick games I expect once familiar with the army list.

There is also a great sence of tactics involved with the game, the combat phase especially when there are multiple combats going on and having to choose which to start with and which to sacrifice (in a way) makes it very tactical, also the removing of casualties helps this too as position becomes important. It may be a simple set of core rules but there certainly is massive scope for some synergies from the warscrolls and leader abilities too which is a kind of second layer to the game in a way.

I've been furiously reading all the warscrolls I can, and can better see the potential of the game now I've played one. I really liked not having to constently flick through giant rule books to find rules and then look up other rules and compare them, ring a lawyer and have a separate adjudicator make rulings on every dice roll.

The way the scrolls work is great, everything you need to know for each phase is right there.

I took a range of random units from my Orc & Goblin army, so had a play with a wizard, an artillery price, unit of night goblins with bows and fanatics some random stuff like squig hoppers snotling pump wagon and a big unit of savage orcs. The turn sequence is fun two, how you never know who's going to go first next is a real challenge.

I'm looking forward to playing more and hope to build a dedicated army for this game in the future.

I played my game vs the Stormcast and really enjoyed killing them. Not a massive fan of the miniatures if i'm honest and think its the one thing that lets the game down.

Printed warscrolls would be good if they were on cards, nice if they include them in the boxed sets with the miniatures like Privateer Press do, that would be sweet. The app is great though although I was constantly aware of my battery depleting so can't imagine it being that good at a tournament by Game 3. Handy little cards would be good. I've not seen the ones your referring to, will have to have a look out for them next time I'm at the shop.

8 minutes ago, frogboy said:

I played my game vs the Stormcast and really enjoyed killing them. Not a massive fan of the miniatures if i'm honest and think its the one thing that lets the game down.

It's all a matter of personal opinion but I think the metallic schemes let the models down. I think they are ace models though so going to say something like this!

9 minutes ago, frogboy said:

Printed warscrolls would be good if they were on cards, nice if they include them in the boxed sets with the miniatures like Privateer Press do, that would be sweet. The app is great though although I was constantly aware of my battery depleting so can't imagine it being that good at a tournament by Game 3. Handy little cards would be good. I've not seen the ones your referring to, will have to have a look out for them next time I'm at the shop.

It's something new coming out from GW with the new Stormcast releases. If there is enough demand, I think they will do more of them for other releases.

Yeah it's a fantastic game. It had a bit of a wobbly release but GW just seem to be going from strength to strength with it. I love it's easy to pick up and play but enough complexity of  other wargames to keep interest there for years and years. Plus GW are supporting the game really well and seem to want to keep on doing amazing things with it.

Archived