Thoughts on new Amry for New Player

Fisdantilus

So I am new to AOS ([previously played Brets and Dwarves in Fantasy) and am starting an Iron Jawz army.  Listening to a couple podcasts and such, it seems mixed arms are strong in this game and you need hard hitting infantry/calvary (check), buffs (check), some fast units for claiming objectives (??) and shooting (???) .  I was thinking of maybe adding some goblin wolf riders and maybe chariots or artillery and a mangler squig to the what the iron jawz bring.

I don't want to buy and paint a bunch of models only to find out they really aren't any good.  For those who have played, does this seem viable?  Would this be a good jumping on point or do I need to think about other things to add?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Some of it depends on what/how you are going to play.  Some rules need #models to claim objectives, others need #wounds, etc.

A good complement to Ironjawz might be Spiderfang.  Get some Forest Goblin Spider Riders, and an Arachnarok or two.  You can VERY easily build a Rock Lobber out of the howdah for the Arachnarok (you basically build it according to the instructions, but put in on a base rather than on the spider), and use some of the crew for the Lobber and put the rest on the base of the Arachnarok along with the shrine/shaman.

I'd recommend getting the grand alliance book of the faction you want to play most.  with a blank sheet of paper go through and pick out all the units you think are:

1. Cool

2. Effective

3. Obviously have synergies. 

I did this with the order book and can see myself running an army with:

Stormcast teleport banner guy & unit to be teleported

Medusa - all the Mortal wounds

Sisters of Slaughter, Sisters of the Thorn and Wizards to buff their saves (DE sorc and Empire Shadow wizards were my favoured options), you hit me and you do mortal wounds to yourself, yes please!

Executioners - Mortal wounds on 6's = yummy

Celestial Hurricanum and 2 Hellstorm Rocket batteries.- shoot all 3 rockets at 1 target and you've got +1 to hit, hurricanum helps you hit, damage output is actually quite tasty and doesn't need LoS so you can snipe even hidden characters.

Seraphon - Bastilidons and rippers because they're awesome!

So if you're looking at that force and thinking it isn't fluffy then you're somewhat stuck in prior edition mentalities (but I'll accept the lack of Aelf fluff does make it more 'unknown' than unfluffy/fluffy) but it takes across the whole order spectrum but is all keyed around doing mortal wounds to things and being able to remove key buff units.

To build a decent force that is probably a huge number of pools for SCGT pack but a good mix of different models/ranges to keep things varied and interesting for both gaming and painting.

For range grot spear chuckas x2 that's 4 shots hitting on 4s reroll (so 3 hits) wounding on 3s (2 wounds) -2 rend and d3 damage each

thwy reroll of places close together and get plus 1 to hit if targeting a hero keyword

they are not amazing and can be infuriating when they miss but they do "focus" and enemy movements and sometimes attract way too much attention for what they are worth (which is great as that means you can get da boyz up and into the enemy less molested) they also really need to be dealt with as late game when units or heroes have taken wounds they can snipe stuff off objectives nicely well worth it imo

for speed there is loads of choice (speed to an ironjawz at is 9" or more really) so depends on what you want to play/paint and how you want to play. I like chariots Giants and gore-gruntas for this aspect currently but stonehorns, thundertusks (also great ranged) and mournfang cav are very strong also. Some of the new ironjawz formations help with speed too and all of them consist of units you would want to buy anyway which is a real bonus 

I approach army building in a different way:

• Scroll through the GW website, pick what I'd like to paint
  • Read the fluff, pick what appeals to me
  • Get a few more pieces to somehow try and make it all work

Surprisingly, I don't win a lot of games...

I approach army building in a different way:

• Scroll through the GW website, pick what I'd like to paint
  • Read the fluff, pick what appeals to me
  • Get a few more pieces to somehow try and make it all work
Surprisingly, I don't win a lot of games...

I did like this in the first place and lost almost every game;)

right now I use one simple rule - the bigger the base the better the Destruction unit.

that's it. The whole game is about SAVES, RENDS and MORTAL WOUNDS;) and the big ones are best at it.

My complete (dream) force will be:

Troll Hag,

A unit of 6-9 Trolls,

A unit of 9-12 Fimirs,

2 chukkas,

2 NG shamans,

Wurzag,

Orc Shaman,

Firebelly

Stonehorn

Of course it depends what Generals Handbook will bring.

And of course I will always play NGs for fun;)

Archived