Stormcast - Language, ability to communicate?

Nubgan

Though I have gone with the boring gold armour with blue accents (because I just like it to be fair), it would be nice to come up with a background story for my Stormcast. Whilst I slowly create and develop this army I wouldn't mind blogging a background story for each of the units as I build/paint them.

My question from a narrative perspective though, is do Stormcast actually speak and think independantly? I have seen the word 'autonomous', and phrases like 'in sync' thrown around in the descriptive narrative and I have never got round to reading any of the novels with them in. If you could provide either a weblink or a source for a book with speaking Stormcast that would be fantastic, wouldn't mind reading a novel eventually that could give me an idea of there behavior and speech.

Thanks in advance :D

From what I can gather from the books and audio drama, they are for all intents and purposes human, fear and emotion dulled down but still there, somewhere deep within them.

The realmgate wars audio dramas can be found on youtube, though I wont link it seeing as they are probably illegally uploaded.

They are entirely human. Big fast strong humans. The moving in synch references are to their martial training. Theyre very disciplined.

Each host is usually made up from a bunch of heros with similar stories or cultural backgrounds (well they can be, I think the fluff is ripe for bending here).

Anyway, they start off not remembering their pre-forging but they all share a similar way of being.

But think of it roughly like this:

The Stormcast of the Bear are a stormhost all taken by sigmar for reforging from a jolly, rock hard bunch of ppl from bear island before it was swamped by bears. Chaos bears if you like.

So they are all now extra hard and jolly and act and talk in the same way but they don't remember much from before they were reforged. They just get nervous around bears maybe.

Some may start to remember in the heat of battle. IF they die and are reforged again though, they get less jolly, less disctinctive.

Stormcast Eternals are, for all intents and purposes, human. Large, powerful and soul-bound to Sigmar, but mortal. Flesh, blood and tears. So don't worry about any of that "automaton" business.

If you'd like to hear the Stormcast, check out the Audio Dramas. They're quite good. You can just listen to the free samples on Black Library's webpage if you'd like.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/aos/whaos-audio/prisoner-of-the-black-sun-cd.html

http://www.blacklibrary.com/aos/whaos-audio/beasts-of-cartha-mp3.html

5 hours ago, Nubgan said:

Though I have gone with the boring gold armour with blue accents (because I just like it to be fair), it would be nice to come up with a background story for my Stormcast. Whilst I slowly create and develop this army I wouldn't mind blogging a background story for each of the units as I build/paint them.

My question from a narrative perspective though, is do Stormcast actually speak and think independantly? I have seen the word 'autonomous', and phrases like 'in sync' thrown around in the descriptive narrative and I have never got round to reading any of the novels with them in. If you could provide either a weblink or a source for a book with speaking Stormcast that would be fantastic, wouldn't mind reading a novel eventually that could give me an idea of there behavior and speech.

Thanks in advance :D

Can I suggest the following short story: http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/bear-eater-ebook.html

I really enjoyed it, and it shows a very human side of a Stormcast Lord-Castellant. As others have said, he is human (-ish) - stronger, faster, more disciplined than any normal human, but still human. It also shows that they do have individual emotions and feelings.

If you also want to see it from the other side, I think City of Secrets does a great job of showing how different they are at the same time. They are literal demi-gods, and as such they are in some ways as far removed from the common man as anything else in the Mortal Realms.

So I guess they retain there 'skillset' and 'instincts' from there mortal life, so a guy that was an adept sailor would be a skilled sailor, not know how he gained that skill, justg be naturally adept at it?

Thanks for all the feedback, got a nice place to start, think I am going to enjoy this :D

Archived