Levi's Log of Death - Skeletons and Ghastly Things

Hello everyone!

I wanted to share with you the work in progress of my Death army! It will consist of mainly Deathrattle, Nighthaunt and some Deathlords. For now, Arkhan the Black is leading my horde but when I listened to Josh Reynold's audiodrama's, I then wanted to build Mannfred. So might pick up an other Get Started box and have Mannfred tag along. Anyway, here are the goodies I currently have (minus some spirits):

kRM04dE.jpg

nvrPK6i.jpg

Currently, I'm testing some paint schemes. Here's a wip of a Hexwraith (Black Knights just aren't as good in battle) I'm working on:

s7wigAY.jpg

eN1wsnh.jpg

GyeIX1k.jpg

Did some test on some spirits to get a nice ghostly look but that didn't work out that good, so I changed the recipe a bit. Now I'm very pleased with it! 

Let me know what you think so far!

Thanks Stevewren! The cloth is inspired by the Hexwraith models on the GW store. I really liked the transition.

As for the recipe, the original I tested on the spirits came from the How to Paint Citadel Miniatures Nagash ebook but didn't like it that much, so here's the tweaked recipe I made for the Hexwraith:

• Baharroth Blue
  • Sotek + Lahmian Medium
  • Baharroth again for clean-up
  • Baharroth mixed with a little bit of Ulthuan (instead of Celestia grey as instructed by the ebook)
  • Pure Ulthuan Grey for highlights
  • The book suggests White Scar as final highlight but I didn't really bother

I have just finished assembling this same "Start Collecting" box and I am also debating on the colour scheme. I will probably prime white, wash the bones with Aghrax and wash the "Ethereal" bits with Bieltan Green. I am also thinking of making the Ethereal bits glossy with my wife's nail varnish. Similar to the Baleful Realmgate on the right in this picture.

WP_20151120_016.jpg

10 hours ago, Damac1900 said:

I have just finished assembling this same "Start Collecting" box and I am also debating on the colour scheme. I will probably prime white, wash the bones with Aghrax and wash the "Ethereal" bits with Bieltan Green. I am also thinking of making the Ethereal bits glossy with my wife's nail varnish. Similar to the Baleful Realmgate on the right in this picture.

WP_20151120_016.jpg

Awesome! I saw some other people wash their ethereals with Nihilakh Oxide; it's much lighter then Biel-tan. I quite liked the effect, but it's up to you of course! ;) and does nail polish work? I've heard some bad things about it. I personally use Ard Coat to get a glossy finish.

8 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

That ethereal scheme is lovely. Very pretty. The blending on the horses really helps them pop. Looking forward to the rest!

Thanks Alec! Will post an update soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Here's an update for you guys! Two skellies to test the colour scheme. I'm going for the black, brown and red painting scheme as seen on the box art. I'll be mixing the colours a bit more so they won't look all the same. These guys are so much fun to paint and quick to do. Next up, I will paint the whole unit!

large.IMG_2011-1.jpg.39e3a0377a338d43619

large.IMG_2013-1.jpg.9ce6c31c1734efbcc18

I'm thinking of starting a log for my Seraphon and I'm really interested in the Blog feature of this forum as I would like to post some artwork and fluff too. So rather then a wip thread I'll do a blog on them.

See you around!

Steadily working through the ranks of the Skeleton Warriors now. All the bone is done, blocked in the cloth and shaded all the metals.

Please excuse the ugly pictures. My hobby lamp is pretty good when hobbying but not so much for photography it seems:

EGblQcK.jpg

xdcZXJr.jpg

uGsTrfF.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the skeletons! The Skellies themselves are now done. What's left are the shields and lastly I need to do all the rust and verdigris. Not sure what to paint on the banner yet though. Might be a unit symbol indicating their purpose since the personal heraldry of the Wight King will go on the Grave Guard banner.

QrSvkmA.jpg

Also, I'm starting a little kitbash project. To add some variety to my army, I wanted to make some Skeleton Archers. I'm using the Tomb Kings warscroll for this and of course, will use these lads only for friendly games. So ordered lots of bitz (more underway) from ebay and bitz websites to make at least 20 archers. Very excited to start with these :)

XznW2B0.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

19 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

These look fantastic. Really crisp and well executed, the colder colour for the bone really makes it more menacing than a warmer shade you would see on most decorations on other races.

Thank you! I wanted to have that old bone look and those darker metallics and clothing really makes it pop. The red works very well as a spot colour methinks and keeps them from becoming bland.

12 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

Really nice work!  I've not tried painting anything ethereal before.  You've nailed it.

Thanks Hob! Took me a few tries to get it right though.

4 minutes ago, Dangermouse425 said:

Nice work, Levi. I've just decided to create a small Death force myself actually, so thanks for sharing your recipe.

Thanks mate and no problem. A lot of people starting Death nowadays! Nagash will be very pleased :D

1 minute ago, Clanan said:

They look great. Can you elaborate on the basing? I'm intimidated by basing tons of minis, and your approach appears simple, yet pleasing. Looks like GW texture, maybe?

It's indeed a GW texture paint. I used Astrogranite, shaded it with Nuln Oil then drybrushed with Karak Stone and Screaming Skull. Then put some Army Painter's Wasteland tufts on. Done!

For some variety you can add some small stones or use one of GW's basing kits (most of em seem to be sold out unfortunately).

On 31-5-2016 at 7:07 PM, hobgoblinclub said:

I feel it may be that a lot of people are starting every alliance. AoS seems to be doing rather well. ?

Oh totally! Love the energy and excitement for AoS at the moment.

So, yesterday I painted the Warriors some more. All the metals on the shields need te be highlighted but the rest is pretty much done. I also quickly build a Skeleton Archer. Not sure if I'll string the bows. In that perspective I'm kinda lazy but I do like the way it looks. Anyway, here are some pics of the Archer Hornblower:

77C5fB7.jpg

HXeBGAR.jpg

Archived