Who suffers, who flourishes? 1200pt tournament

Wolden Spoons

Hello fellow AOSers.

My FLGS are running their first tournament next month and I am arranging the details, although yes I will be entering.

I shall be posting this in each Grand Alliance for advice as well but please feel free to chip in anywhere.

It will be a 3 game tournament using the General's Handbook. I was looking at 1200 points as it just gives enough wiggle room for toys. Obviously this changes the requirements to the middle level and 3 battlelines. The chosen missions being the first one, flag on each side, border wars and places of power.

My question really being is there anything in faction that would be too badly hampered or anything that would be too badly boosted? Thanks for your help!

10 hours ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Why is 1500 more standard than 1200?! Both are inbetween the GHB standards of 1000 and 2000.

Personally I quite like this as I find 1000 a bit small for my tastes so this allows enough for that extra unit, but keeps things civil with having the three battleline requirement.

I don't know why it is.. I just know I've been on this and other fora often and I've NEVER seen a 1200 point list.. and quite a lot of 1500 point lists (maybe even more than 2K..though I think recently 2K is seen most).

Basically you should make the tournament that you want to and feels right.  1200 points sounds like a great size for a 3 game one day event and stipulating 3 battleline units is a cool spin on things to get people to bring plenty of standard units. They will need them if they're working up to 2000 point sized armies any ways.

8 hours ago, Bimli said:

3 battle lines is for 2000+ so 1200-1500 still only 2 battle lines

That is subjective, saying everything above 1000 is 3 battle line makes just as much or more sense... and it's really TO choice.. I can see the appeal of forcing some rank n file.

4 hours ago, Aezeal said:

That is subjective, saying everything above 1000 is 3 battle line makes just as much or more sense... and it's really TO choice.. I can see the appeal of forcing some rank n file.

I guess I'm taking it as per the rules of 1000 points vanguard 2000 points war host ect so anything under that 2000 point mark to me seems to falls under a vanguard. I know its not explicit in the rules but whats clear is 2000 points is considered a war host so anything under "should" be a vanguard Just my 2 cents :)  

30 minutes ago, Furious said:

The GHB is pretty explicit in stating that anything over 1000 is a warhost. I don't have the book with me, so I can't quote it at you, but it says something like "up to 1000 points is vanguard."

no that is not the case (unless I missed something but don't think I did). All its says is 1000 point vanguard 2000 point war host nothing in between.

On 1/29/2017 at 11:32 AM, Wolden Spoons said:

My question really being is there anything in faction that would be too badly hampered or anything that would be too badly boosted? Thanks for your help!

Somewhere you said you wanted to break the 1000p limit because you wanted people to be able to bring cool units. If so keep the restrictions for 1000p battles and let players bring 1200. Otherwise you will make it even more difficult for people to bring their shiny toys. :) 

51 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

You missed something, He is actually correct.

e46c5b1b5dd681644e169170062ff674.jpg

but that only means your army has to be the point cost provided (agreed upon). So if you and the person you are playing against say we will be playing a 2000 point game then 1 cannot for example bring an army that is 2020 points (can only be 2000 points or under) and the same goes for the individual your playing against (would be the same if you play 1500 points can't go over the limit provided). The quote which you added is only referring to that. nothing to do with playing a 1001-1999 point game.

Another interpretation could also be that you can only play 1000, 2000 or 3000 points games and nothing in between.

So I still don't think he is correct.

It's about what amount of points define each game type - a vanguard is up to 1000 points. Therefore, according to the chart you only need two battleline units. Therefore, since vanguard is up to 1000 points, anything exceeding 1000 points is a battlehost, up to 2000 points, and requires three battleline units. Anything exceeding 2000 points is a warhost. The key wording here is "up to."

Sure you could house rule it, and more power to you for doing that, but if you want to play how the GHB says, that's how you play it.

43 minutes ago, Furious said:

It's about what amount of points define each game type - a vanguard is up to 1000 points. Therefore, according to the chart you only need two battleline units. Therefore, since vanguard is up to 1000 points, anything exceeding 1000 points is a battlehost, up to 2000 points, and requires three battleline units. Anything exceeding 2000 points is a warhost. The key wording here is "up to."

Sure you could house rule it, and more power to you for doing that, but if you want to play how the GHB says, that's how you play it.

Sure if your playing a battle host game meaning the points you pick to play is 2000 points, nothing less. I would agree with you if the rules indicated a battle host game is from 1001 to 2000 point. But the rules are specific to say a battle host game is 2000 points. RAW really means you can't play anything in between so any discussion regarding this is based off house rules.

To me Id play if its not 2000 or more points it counts as a vanguard. Its to bad there is no actual ruling for this but until faq'd its really going to be based on a house rule or how the tourney organizer wants it to be. 

Like I pointed out: the key words are up to. The earlier quote is specifically referring to a chart, which specifically outlines army composition for up to a certain point amount. 

8 minutes ago, Bimli said:

Sure if your playing a battle host game meaning the points you pick to play is 2000 points, nothing less.

Is just a wrong interpretation of the phrasing "The combined points of the units in your army should not exceed the number of points shown on the chart above." That means, if you're playing 1200pts, it's no longer vanguard, and therefore the composition rules now follow battlehost.

I have read the rule for and what I believe you are referring to is "the combined points of the units in your army should not exceed the number of points shown on the chart above. For example, in a battle host game, you could each field up to 2000 points worth of units" 

This I fully agree with if you say we will be playing 2000 points its a battle host game and you cannot exceed those values.

But if you say we will be playing 1200 points this dose not fall under the rules of battle host or vanguard as the rule clearly indicate when you are playing a vanguard (1000 points), battle host (2000 points) or war host (2500 points).

The "up to" you keep referring to is in regards to what paying points for your army you cannot exceed the point cost you have decided to play to no matter itfs it 1000, 2000, 3000 ect ect points.

This is why I feel it would have to be house or tourney organizer ruled.

As an answer to the OP's original question. If you are excluding compendium, then dispossessed suffer because their only formation requires a minimum of 1240 points. Though of course, anyone playing them was already asking to suffer, lol. Ironjawz are the other army I have, and they probably do abnormally well at 1200. They have access to any of their battalions, and potentially 2 because the ironfist has a minimum of 600. So I would probably take an Ironfist with a few heroes and that would give me high movement for grabbing objectives first turn with the signature tough units that will be a serious problem for most other 1200pt armies to remove.

Archived