First AOS Army - Papa Nurgle

Kovaks

Hi all, 

So I am working on my first AOS army, which is going to be nurgle, mostly daemons to start, due to the start collecting boxes and then maybe branching out from there, not looking to go to any tournaments just play with buddies or down at the local stores. I have a few start collecting boxes and boxes of Plaguebearers and one magoth lord box. 

the list I was thinking of is 

Leaders
Morbidex Twiceborn (260)
Herald Of Nurgle (100)
Herald Of Nurgle (100)
Great Unclean One (240)
-
 General

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (300)
30 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (300)
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)

Units
3 x Nurglings (80)
3 x Nurglings (80)
3 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (220)
3 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (220)

Total: 2000/2000

I figure that gives me alot of tough bodies to hold objectives, a little speed in the drones, the GUO will give me some buffs and I just love Morbidex's ability to add more Nurglings while also being a beat stick. 

Please let me know what you think, I eventually want to add the Glotkin and some blight kings along with maybe a daemon prince. 

thanks for the feedback. 

Please let me know how morbidex does because I have never heard anyone actually use him before. Seems intriguing. His ability is really cool as well. Think about holding that one unit of plaguebeaers in reserve and summon in later. That way you can put them wherever you need them. Also, I would nominate one of the heralds as your general. GUO's command ability is laughably bad. So having a herald as your general allows you to take a command trait that you couldn't take now as your General is a named character. 

What artifact are you thinking of using?

I nearly fainted when I saw all of those plague bearers, yikes! I am also interested in how Morbidex works out for you as I am very new to the hobby but really want a Maggoth Lord.

Can I slide a question about Battleline Composition in here? It's Nurgly.

I currently have the Start Collecting, 10 Chaos Warriors, and a Lord of Plagues. I want to bump this up to a full 1k or 1.5k points... but where do Blightkings and the Lord of Plagues fit into this? My first thoughts were to grab a StD start collecting box, but I really want some blightkings, however I am not sure how the whole Nurgle/Deamon/Mortal Nurgle thing works.

Blightkings are only battleline if you have an allegiance to mortal nurgle. Slaves to darkness with the mark of nurgle (like your chaos warriors for example, also marauders) are considered mortal nurgle. So for example, if you wanted a 1000 point matched play game (required two battleline units) you could field the blightkings and the warriors and you would have two battleline units because your allegiance is to mortal nurgle. They have both the 'mortal' and  'nurgle' keywords. If you added in a unit of plaguebeaers, you would break that allegiance. But since plaguebeaers and warriors are both battleline regardless of your allegiance.. (look in the generals handbook under the units 'battlefield role) it wouldn't even matter!  The only benefit to having a mortal nurgle allegiance (At the moment since there is no battletome for rotbringer /mortal nurgle) is that you can use the blightkings as battleline. 

Blightkings are a strong unit. And the models are stunningly disgusting. I am building a rotbringers army with a ton of blightkings. In fact I have 20 in my 1000 point army! Since I have all mortal nurgle units (no demons or pestilens) they count as battleline.

One last thing.. you can use demons and mortal nurgle whilst stilling keeping the mortal nurgle allegiance IF you summon the demons in! I did this as a tournament where I had a mortal nurgle (rotbringers) army and had 2x 10 plagebeaers in reserve that summoned onto objectives. This does not break allegiance.. because it only matter what is on your list at the start of the game. I also plan on getting drones and summoning them in as well. Hope I answered you question. 

Thanks for the extremely comprehensive answer! 

I really need to re-read the GHB but hopefully everything will get a bit clearer when I start playing. 

My only issue with Nurgle so far is that the GUO model is absolutely terrible and i'm no position to drop £70+ on the Forge World kit, or start converting a Glotkin. 

I hope we get a new Greater Daemon this year :)

Drop 10 Plaguebearers or a Herald and get the Talleyband of Nurgle Warscroll Battalion. Your Great Unclean one will recover 2D3 wounds per hero and your Daemons will recover D3 wounds or regain D3 models if within 21" of the Great Unclean one in each or your hero phases. 

Also, practice summoning that unit of 10 Plaguebearers turn one from your Great Unclean one to grab objectives or redirect your opponent.

Thanks for the replies and advice guys, 

I too love the blight kings, I am just hoping that by the time I am done painting all these guys they will have released a start collecting rot bringers so I can pick some up.  

Yeah the GW GUO is awful, I a either going to have to pick up big fatty from Forgeworld or go with some of the amazing 3rd party ones coming out, I am also not a fan of the Daemon prince in use for nurgle, I actually have another thread discussing alt models for both. 

I'll take a look at making some of the changes you suggested, and once I am done painting some stuff for a charity event this month, and get really cranking on my Nurgle I'll probably create a blog here. 

I have seen some using the Glotkin model as GUO, and also using Ethrac (caster) as either rotbringer sorcerer or the chaos sorcercer lord with mark of nurgle. Otto Can either be a lord of plagues, chaos lord with mark of nurgle, or really any nurgle character with some extra conversion work! I know its $120 kit.. but just an idea. 

Just remember that if you use Morbidex skill you must pay reinforcement points to put new units out.  Also you can not make those units larger than their orginal size.  I would honestly recommend a few changes to your list

(-) Herald of Nurgle (100)

(-) Nurglings (80)

(-) Nurglings (80)

(-) Morbidex (260)

(+) Epidemus 

(+) Tallyband of Nurgle

(+) 3x Plague drones. 

This leaves you 20 points to gain an extra skill on the table if you have less points than your opponent.  In my list I also (-) 20x Plaguebearers from one unit and then add an extra (+) 3x Plaguedrones.  This gives me 12 Plaguedrones in total and more mobility.  I usually field them in 2 units of 6 though 4 units of 3 works well also.

I agree that the FW GUO is the only decent model that you can use as a GUO.

@Broxus

I understand if I start a new unit I have to have the reinforcement points, but I am not clear on not being able to make the units any bigger than their original size, His rule says pick a unit of nurglings within 7 and add D3 models to it , to my understanding then if I already have a unit I can add D3 models to that unit every turn... Could you please elaborate?

18 hours ago, Broxus said:

Just remember that if you use Morbidex skill you must pay reinforcement points to put new units out.  Also you can not make those units larger than their orginal size.  I would honestly recommend a few changes to your list

(-) Herald of Nurgle (100)

(-) Nurglings (80)

(-) Nurglings (80)

(-) Morbidex (260)

(+) Epidemus 

(+) Tallyband of Nurgle

(+) 3x Plague drones. 

This leaves you 20 points to gain an extra skill on the table if you have less points than your opponent.  In my list I also (-) 20x Plaguebearers from one unit and then add an extra (+) 3x Plaguedrones.  This gives me 12 Plaguedrones in total and more mobility.  I usually field them in 2 units of 6 though 4 units of 3 works well also.

I agree that the FW GUO is the only decent model that you can use as a GUO.

This Battallion is not legal unfortunately.

You need a Great Unclean One and 6 units comprised of Nurgle Daemons: Nurglings, Beast of Nurgle, Plaguebearers, Plague Drones, Plaguebearer Hero (Herald of Nurgle or Epidemius), so 7 units in total.

[mention=3165]Broxus[/mention] I understand if I start a new unit I have to have the reinforcement points, but I am not clear on not being able to make the units any bigger than their original size, His rule says pick a unit of nurglings within 7 and add D3 models to it , to my understanding then if I already have a unit I can add D3 models to that unit every turn... Could you please elaborate?

In the general's handbook, under matched play there's a section for summoning new units and reinforcing existing units. His rule is covered by the reinforcing section pictured here.

9c4b16c950994033d67a331639035fff.jpg

But if you're planning on playing anything other than matched play, I believe you can just add to the unit till your plague-ridden heart is satisfied.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

This Battallion is not legal unfortunately.

You need a Great Unclean One and 6 units comprised of Nurgle Daemons: Nurglings, Beast of Nurgle, Plaguebearers, Plague Drones, Plaguebearer Hero (Herald of Nurgle or Epidemius), so 7 units in total.

Yes and these recommendations meet the battalion requirements.  

GUO

Herald

Epidemus

3 units of Plaguebearers

3 units of Drones 

That is 8 units and the GUO

I have recently tried to run an all nurgle mortal list:

Currently looks like:

Festus - 120

Harbinger of Decay (general) - 140

Lord of plagues - 100

Rotbringer sorcerer - 100

Bloab Rotspawned - 260

Morbidex Twiceborn - 260

5 x Blightkings - 900

Battalion - Blightguard - 100

Movement is a huger killer and the list struggles with having little rend.

Archived