Three Places of Power - Scoring and Movement

TerrorPenguin

Question

Hi all,

In the GHB Matched Play scenario - three places of power - the scoring conditions state. "A player controls an objective if, at the end of any move, a HERO from their army is within 3" of the objective. 

I understand that if I summon a Cairn Wraith onto the objective, I cannot score (that turn) as the Cairn Wraith's scroll states "This model is added to your army, but cannot move in the following movement phase"

However, if a unit uses an ability which states "This is their move for that movement phase" - then I can score on that turn? e.g. Stormcast Lightning Strike ability.

TIA

13 answers to this question

Things are blurred with that  "This is their move for that movement phase" . I suspect this will get a rewrite soon as they didn't expect to face that kind of problem like with escalation. The "at the end of any move" is what ruin everything.

The good answer is to speak with your opponent at the start of the game or to contact the TO.

Muddies even further because Lightning Strike happens in the movement phase. FAQ states that moves made in the movement phase count as normal moves, and as completing a Lightning Strike counts as a move, that interpretation would be they do count. But then FAQ also states a normal move uses the M characteristic, which LS doesn't, and now my brain hurts... [emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Muddies even further because Lightning Strike happens in the movement phase. FAQ states that moves made in the movement phase count as normal moves, and as completing a Lightning Strike counts as a move, that interpretation would be they do count. But then FAQ also states a normal move uses the M characteristic, which LS doesn't, and now my brain hurts... emoji3.png

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

But the battle plan says "If at the end of any move". By which I would say if I had charged my Cairn Wraith into a unit of non-hero stormcast I would start to score the objective. Similarly if I had piled in to them.

Bit worried I cheated in my last tournament as I was applying my Cairn Wraith's movement restrictions to his warrior brotherhood. I'm thinking he should have actually scored first turn

This is abit abiguous and needs further clarification. 

I'd say it's not a move as its basicly say your doing this in lieu of moving. Now if the lightning striking guy charges and is in range you got it. 

Though do note if you summon your carin wraith on the objective, and your opponent makes a move with a hero near the objective control i believe is then passed to your wraith. 

Edit: I will say if it's something you know is weird you ask the TO before the tournament starts. I always ask about my zombies before tournaments

I would personally read this as "if a hero appears next to an objective as the result of an action" that the hero can then begin scoring. The hero got there ("moving" from a different location, even though 'move' is also a game term). So I would say that summoning/lightning strike/etc would still activate the scoring -- at least, that's what I would figure on. Pure opinion here though.

2 hours ago, mmimzie said:

This is abit abiguous and needs further clarification. 

I'd say it's not a move as its basicly say your doing this in lieu of moving. Now if the lightning striking guy charges and is in range you got it. 

Though do note if you summon your carin wraith on the objective, and your opponent makes a move with a hero near the objective control i believe is then passed to your wraith. 

Edit: I will say if it's something you know is weird you ask the TO before the tournament starts. I always ask about my zombies before tournaments

Actually, reading it in an overly pedantic way. It says 'A player controls an objective if at the end of any move a hero from their Army is within 3" of the objective"

It doesn't say 'A player controls an objective if at the end of their move a hero is within 3" of the objective"

So summon a wraith, complete a move phase, and the objective is yours, even if the Cairn Wraith didn't move?

The FAQ describes actions like the Lightning Strike, Chameleon Skink Ambush, etc. at as a "Set Up" - when a unit is deployed or put into play on the board. Summoning would also be a "Set Up".

I'd say that since a Warrior Brotherhood's Lightning Strike counts as a deployment/set up, it is not a movement, so it would not begin scoring until it the next phase, unless it charges or piles in.

8 minutes ago, David Griffin said:

The FAQ describes actions like the Lightning Strike, Chameleon Skink Ambush, etc. at as a "Set Up" - when a unit is deployed or put into play on the board. Summoning would also be a "Set Up".

I'd say that since a Warrior Brotherhood's Lightning Strike counts as a deployment/set up, it is not a movement, so it would not begin scoring until it the next phase, unless it charges or piles in.

Well, the only thing is that Lightning Strike also says "This is its move for the movement phase", which would imply that they could start scoring right there. This is causing confusion in other places as well, and needs to be cleared up in general.

I think the intent of this rule was to score if you got something near the objective, since at the start of the battle you had all your troops deployed in your starting zone. So, somehow the hero had to get there. Secondly, the wording sounds cooler like that. Personally, I would be ok with you scoring that objective however you got your heroes there. It dosen't matter if you teleported, Tunderstriked, came out of the woods, or simply ran there. You still have to kill the previously present hero. 

Archived