Rusted faith - A tale of chaos, khorne and the damned

Kaleb Daark

10 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

I think that shield armor looks great, I love the idea that it's just been appropriated from fallen foes and then re-purposed. Do you have people you play against regularly? could paint some of the shields in their army colours.

I was thinking just that.

It also allows me to add colour and life to the model.  Although the army is khorne, I don't want it to look like everyone's graduated from Khorne University on St Khorne Day with their Khorne branded official wargear merchandise.

I've got some chariot kitbash comversions along the same lines with humanoid beasties pulling them, but one thing at a time :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a respite day off today, so I went down to my local GW and set about playing with toys.

Shield work finished, and the I got to making the shackle for the beast.  I need to give the glue and plasticard a couple of days to fully cure before carrying on.

The rod is an infernal iron rod shackle which the beast cannot break free from.  It is part of the arm bracers which are bound to it.  It also forms the cradle for the shrine that was, but after aeons of campaigning through the mortal realms and beyond, all that is left is the tattered remains of the deck platform.

The white bands were created by plasticard strips which were glued only on the contact face and then once, dry had a spread of glue on them and wrapped around the shaft - which as fate would have it was an offcut of a balefull realmgate sprue that store manager Sam was working on at the time for a window display :)

The largest ones on his arms will hopefully be blended into the armour plates with some green stuff to appear as one large casting.  Once this is done, I'll drill through the whole lot and park a big spike through it all so that it anchors his arms to it well and truly.

It was shaved randomly with a scalpel in order to create some random texture on it when it's finally painted.

I'll put some spikes or blades or heads on the end of the shackle - I'm not sure what, but it needs finishing for sure, I can't leave them like that.

37023151292_c97612d16a_c.jpg

and with platform

37023144082_c3b353cb0e_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to have a play in the bits box. - square bases still have a use... as a glueing and painting platform!

I was trying to go for a brital take on chaos knights, heavily mutated by chaos so they're at one with their mounts literally...

Knight's horse

Black Ork torso and weapons

Tyrannid head and greenstuff.

Does it work? do you like the idea?  what do you reckon?

37058774181_3935ba0835_c.jpg

36358410274_3253b1a92f_c.jpg

I haven't updated this for a veery long time.

Real life has just been getting in the way big time, but hopefully I'm back on it now.

While I go through and update the thread pics - thankyou photobucket for letting me discover flickr.

I thought I'd give a little intermission - it's a piece I did for giggles - he's now living in the USA  - I gave him away to a guy who liked him  on another forum I'm on.

I called him Blue Cheese Guy, on account of his complexion.

He started out as the Nurgle Lord of plagues, like the ork warboss, one of the truly magnificent conversion miniatures..

I cut his legs off, and thought it would be cool to have his whole lower body as a mass of nurglings spilling out of him.  I wanted the armour to be impossibly heavy as well.

36358293774_e0b07fd1bf_z.jpg 

36358293404_65b2d8946f_z.jpg 

36358293044_9bf11a48e3_z.jpg

Painting started,  I didn't at the time have aset colour scheme for him, all I knew qas I didn't want him to be green!

36358292854_93fff5d9dc_z.jpg 

36358292554_b956e3495f_z.jpg

as I started to  semi wet-dry brush him, he started to come together...

36358292374_ab482fcf2f_z.jpg

36358292174_9fa8fdb8e3_z.jpg

36358291914_3980cc9a85_z.jpg

For the base I threw some tufty bits together and done a pour with some realistic water - which wasn't that nice to use  - next time I'll use casting resin, so much less hassle.

But, the one thing it did do was allow me to put a dollop of ink in there for the nurgling having a wee, so not all bad.

37005019526_1d2453c64d_z.jpg

37005019266_7a4bb9b7e6_z.jpg

and there we have it :)

37005018956_acae37a316_c.jpg

37005018646_fe736485dd_c.jpg

Currently am thinking of going heavy on chariots for no other reason than I like the idea of brutal heavy armour rumbling across the battlefield.

These chariots are long past their best, held together by the will of chaos alone.

Pure bits box apart from wheels,  which will be from the regular chariot.  They carry on the theme from the warshrine, and their beasts will be chained to them.

Like their lord, the army can only 'see' blood and war, and can smell rage and conflict from across the span of realms.

37195116775_bf4c4ebba7_z.jpg

37195115195_8c2f7bf2cc_z.jpg

37195119875_5fa83e3ef0_z.jpg

37195118225_362cb37c96_z.jpg

37195114985_b33b06b55a_z.jpg

in the end I decided on blade fists as I can see them being like gorebeasts smashing into things with their fists and bulk.

37195114735_ba9885c840_z.jpg

3 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Currently am thinking of going heavy on chariots for no other reason than I like the idea of brutal heavy armour rumbling across the battlefield.

These chariots are long past their best, held together by the will of chaos alone.

Pure bits box apart from wheels,  which will be from the regular chariot.  They carry on the theme from the warshrine, and their beasts will be chained to them.

Like their lord, the army can only 'see' blood and war, and can smell rage and conflict from across the span of realms.

37195116775_bf4c4ebba7_z.jpg

37195115195_8c2f7bf2cc_z.jpg

37195119875_5fa83e3ef0_z.jpg

37195118225_362cb37c96_z.jpg

37195114985_b33b06b55a_z.jpg

in the end I decided on blade fists as I can see them being like gorebeasts smashing into things with their fists and bulk.

37195114735_ba9885c840_z.jpg

Very very cool concept!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to a good friend deciding it needed a new home I now have two of these rare beasts.  I am now poor for a couple of months but what can you do when one is shoved under your nose!

Friday I'm going to play a game down at the local shop with them both, and I can see the marauder horsemen getting built to complement them. :)

23504485868_ed98de242b_c.jpg

7 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Thanks to a good friend deciding it needed a new home I now have two of these rare beasts.  I am now poor for a couple of months but what can you do when one is shoved under your nose!

Friday I'm going to play a game down at the local shop with them both, and I can see the marauder horsemen getting built to complement them. :)

23504485868_ed98de242b_c.jpg

So, so, very jealous. But congrats! They are amazing models with fun rules (and insanely cheap on the battlefield). 

Kramer, thanks.

there was one on eBay a few weeks ago labelled as genuine, and I think it was as I know of only one recaster that does them and can generally spot his ones a mile off.

This I know was genuine as I went up to warhammer world with him to get it.

its a model o do hope forgeworld remake or re-invent as it's just got so much table presence.

i used to run mine carrying the war shrine in the world that was.  Insanely durable!

im playing 1500pts tomorrow so I was thinking these two, marauder horsemen and gore beasts and maybe a proxy sayl to let him perform as he was always intended, since I can't fit my lord on manticore in as well for those points. :)

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Kramer, thanks.

there was one on eBay a few weeks ago labelled as genuine, and I think it was as I know of only one recanted that does them and can generally spot his ones a mile off.

This I know was genuine as I went up to warhammer world with him to get it.

its a model o do hope forgeworld remake or re-invent as it's just got so much table presence.

i used to run mine carrying the war shrine in the world that was.  Insanely durable!

im playing 1500pts tomorrow so I was thinking these two, marauder horsemen and gore beasts and maybe a proxy sayl to let him perform as he was always intended, since I can't fit my lord on manticore in as well for those points. :)

Sounds very good and very fast! Let us know how it went. I'm still debating the Lord of the Rings Mumak. But its more elephant than mammoth and don't know if I trust myself to sculpt him fur. Although it would make it a big bigger and closer to the right size. 

On 9/28/2017 at 5:21 PM, Alezzika said:

Gorgeous army, beautifully painted! Love the freehand on the shields and all the blood of course :) 

Thank you so much :) 

right then... update time...

marauder horsemen heads.  I've decided that given the theme of the army, the musicians, banner bearers and champions of the marauder horsemen units will be blessed by Khorne with a mutation, and in this case their heads.

37367677342_76fefd155f_z.jpg

And thanks to @Double Misfire I was finally able to do this conversion, the many faces of chaos.

23546060108_8543eda564_c.jpg

now I really do think it's about time I started picking up a brush again.

6 hours ago, Rungi said:

So many great concepts in your army. Any chance of some whole army shots?

@Rungi thanks, I promise I will but let me get painting first, I've neglected my brush for far too long!

looking at the battle report post I did in the chaos forum made me realise just how far I've sinned!

i never used to play with unpainted models, and recently there I was with lots of grey plastic on the table. Shamefull!

ive promised myself I'm buying some knights after being inspired by @BrotherJim great conversions  and then that's it. - brush time.!

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, Somanlius said:

Stumbled upon this thread today and, wow, incredible work man. I hope you keep updating, I would love to see the full army finished.

Hey, thanks for the support.

real life has just got in the way bigtime as mrs Kaleb is  extremely unwell, and being an old ****** ive had to call it a day and accept maybe i need to get glasses!

in fat its the thought of not being able to paint anything which finally cattleprodded me into doing it.

thank goodness for the nerd sphere!

Archived