Realms at War - TGA HQ thread

Thornshield

Hello and welcome to the REALMS AT WAR Headquarters on TGA.

What's this thread all about?

We have a website/blog at www.realmsatwar.co.uk, but unlike HobbyHammer or Mengel Miniatures, we lack the discipline to update it.

We don't have a narrative podcast like the Mortal Realms or Fjordhammer (but certainly enjoy being guests on them).

But we do have endless enthusiasm for Narrative Play in the Age of Sigmar so we're gonna use this thread to reveal our inner workings!

So who are you and what do you do?

We are EATMingsFoote, a group of hobby-oriented nutjobs who will host the UK's BEST Narrative events on a regular basis (challenge thrown out there) under the moniker of Realms at War.

20161204_222649.jpg

From L-R:

James Warth, General Secretary - @Jimbo

Steve Foote, All-seeing Oracle - @Devilreefman

Mark Mitzman, Chief Spokesman - @Mitzy

Chairman Ming - @Thornshield

In this thread we'll also share our work with everyone with an interest in Narrative play and to budding NEOs who could use some resources in hosting their own events. This includes Battleplans, Time of War rules, Warscrolls, terrain sketches and much more!

That all sounds great, how can I participate?

We'd be delighted for you to chat, comment and even criticise us in this thread, as it'll keep our motivations up and guide our actions as we plan the next event. If silent lurking is more your kind of thing, that's fine, just subscribe to the thread to keep up with the latest news but we'd love it if you said hi at some point.

Apart from that, hopefully we'd see you at one of our events (or any other Narrative events for that matter).

Lastly, do follow us on Twitter where we're most active. Our handles are:

Jimbo - @jimbo9jimbo
Mitzy - @EATBATSMitzy
Ming - @Thornshield
Steve - @tinracersteve

Now let's chat Narrative in the Realms at War!

AWESOME DIRECTORY OF STUFFS

1) Realms at War 2016: Legends - Our first event and the UK's first proper Narrative event on the independent scene. This event saw participants grow an Aspirant to fame (and in some cases infamy) throughout the weekend, with varying-sized battled being fought out over the best themed tables ever seen in the UK scene.

20161119_161443.jpg

2) Realms at War 2017 - Our upcoming event in 2017. We've not finalised the theme of this event yet, but maybe it being the weekend before Halloween would be a huge factor!

http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/5582-events-uk-raw17-realms-at-war-2-were-back/

PODCAST APPEARANCES

We've been on The Black Sun, HeelanHammer, Bravery One, with mentions on Mortal Realms and Hard6 among others. Here's a directory of links so you can get our sweet voices into your ears.

The Black Sun:

Pre-RAW interview (full crew) - http://theblacksun.co.uk/episode-xciv-sweet-hobby-bros/

Pre-RAW catchup (Jimbo & Mitzy) - http://theblacksun.co.uk/episode-xcix-lemon-squash/

Post-RAW interview (full crew) - http://theblacksun.co.uk/160117-realms-at-war-16-neo-report/

HeelanHammer:

Narrative play with Steve - http://heelanhammer.com/ep161/

Event coverage plus short interview at the event venue (no Jimbo) - http://heelanhammer.com/ep164/

Scruby & Wells:

Steve chats about 'Why' on Episode 6 - https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/scruby-wells/id1150865873?mt=2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, loved following RAW from here in Aus. I'd really like to organise a NE, thinking about a narrative doubles event. The coolest thing for me was hearing all about the aspirants.

Is there anything about them you would do differently? How did the GH rewards hold up?

Hey guys, loved following RAW from here in Aus. I'd really like to organise a NE, thinking about a narrative doubles event. The coolest thing for me was hearing all about the aspirants.

Is there anything about them you would do differently? How did the GH rewards hold up?

Great that we were noticed across the globe and that the Aspirant concept was well received. Also glad you want to join us as a Narrative Event Organiser (NEO)!

The GH rewards worked well though at some point got overtaken by the special cards from HobbyHammer & mounts (and the Reality Anchor!).

If I were to change anything, it would have been to slightly rebalance the 4 scrolls so that the Warrior didn't have such a strong early-game presence. I'd also add that it was easier for players to gain Fame by running into combat & creating epic stories than sneaking about like a Warlock or Ranger, so that's something to consider.

Bringing it back to the event you'd like to run, perhaps have it so the teams have to choose two different Aspirant types. But most importantly, get players to really think about why they are there fighting alongside their army. All the best!

6 hours ago, Thornshield said:

Great that we were noticed across the globe and that the Aspirant concept was well received. Also glad you want to join us as a Narrative Event Organiser (NEO)!

The GH rewards worked well though at some point got overtaken by the special cards from HobbyHammer & mounts (and the Reality Anchor!).

If I were to change anything, it would have been to slightly rebalance the 4 scrolls so that the Warrior didn't have such a strong early-game presence. I'd also add that it was easier for players to gain Fame by running into combat & creating epic stories than sneaking about like a Warlock or Ranger, so that's something to consider.

Bringing it back to the event you'd like to run, perhaps have it so the teams have to choose two different Aspirant types. But most importantly, get players to really think about why they are there fighting alongside their army. All the best!

Thanks so much for the reply / advice. Listening through a few of the podcasts again, people seemed to love the marketplace. Did you ever release the stuff you had at the marketplace, the legendary scrolls or the stuff you could win in game depending on where you fought (or maybe I misunderstood what people were saying)?

Understandable if that's something you wanted to keep to yourself!

Did you guys debate between using a blank slate warscroll like you went for or letting people power up existing no name/ lower tier heroes (like a packmaster, banshee or vampire lord). I was wondering if that would give a headstart on letting that aspirant feel like it was your own. People didn't seem to have any issue with the blank slate one though so maybe it was the superior option!

1 hour ago, MidasKiss said:

Thanks so much for the reply / advice. Listening through a few of the podcasts again, people seemed to love the marketplace. Did you ever release the stuff you had at the marketplace, the legendary scrolls or the stuff you could win in game depending on where you fought (or maybe I misunderstood what people were saying)?

Understandable if that's something you wanted to keep to yourself!

Did you guys debate between using a blank slate warscroll like you went for or letting people power up existing no name/ lower tier heroes (like a packmaster, banshee or vampire lord). I was wondering if that would give a headstart on letting that aspirant feel like it was your own. People didn't seem to have any issue with the blank slate one though so maybe it was the superior option!

I'm glad you asked as it's reminded me that I was meant to post them up here! Give me a moment and I'll set up a new reply with them all. The stuff that was realm-dependent are Triumphs found in the individual Time of War scrolls, slightly different from what the Aspirant gains as he or she progresses over the weekend.

Definitely, that was an early discussion we had, restricting it to say, a Hero costing no more than 150-200 points. We then decided to write it from scratch to make it more unique to the weekend and give added modelling opportunities which is part of our appeal.

Archived