annointed on phoenix after faq

Tizianolol

I Am not sure I understand your question.

What has been FAQ'ed about the Phoenix? I read the recent FAQ but must have missed something.

Edit: if you are referring to the spyreheart warhost battalion, it does not really matter to me. I would not have used the battalion anyway. However, to answer your question I believe it would be better to use two Phoenix with the anointed on both and not having the battalion extra rules. Obviously only one of them can be your captain of the Phoenix guard.

On the Faq you can read that you have to pay points for death ring of immort in matched play..because it is considered reinforcment.. So if you want use the phoenix ability to come back you have to pay 280 points more..:(

its the same for hel-pit abomination..so my question is: flamespyre phoenix is usless now?:( I'm sad because I love the model!

3 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

On the Faq you can read that you have to pay points for death ring of immort in matched play..because it is considered reinforcment.. So if you want use the phoenix ability to come back you have to pay 280 points more..:(

its the same for hel-pit abomination..so my question is: flamespyre phoenix is usless now?:( I'm sad because I love the model!

I won't say he's useless but he is subpar to the frostheart phoenix once again.  

The implication is that any time you "set up" a model it costs reinforcement points. Flamespyre Phoenix and Ring of Immortality both use the "set up" phrase.

It makes sense to clarify it this way, relying on a coin flip to get 280 points (+ any artifacts you gave that model)  was a weird balancing mechanic.

There is still a pretty big difference between a free item that can be taken by multiple characters where points were not considered (ring). Compared to an ability in a scroll where it is not inconceivable the ability was factored into the points. It'll be interested to see how GW rules it. Hopefully they do clarify. 

On 2/1/2017 at 2:29 PM, AlexHarrison said:

Just because the ring states that doesn't mean it's the same for the flamespyre as it's an ability not reinforcements

On 2/1/2017 at 11:24 PM, Ravenwing said:

I would also say that it does not cost reinforcement points. But it is true that it is not entirely clear. Hopefully GW will clarify it.

Even if it's an ability, it doesn't mean the Reinforcement rule can be overlooked. If you read the rules for Reinforcements (p. 108) it states "... or replace a unit that has been destroyed" - As the FAQ has cleared up that single models count as units, and the Phoenix is removed from play (before it can come back in the next hero phase), it will count as Reinforcements costs.

Basics of Reinforcements = You pay for any unit that has been destroyed, even if it's only 50/50 chance of coming back

Aggesut, I believe you are right. I doubt that is how GW wanted it to be played/paid for, but you are probably right in that it is the way to interpret it as things stand right now. 

In that sense the phoenix with annoited would cost 560 points, but only regenrate itself on 4+. Makes the whole thing kind of broken and an almost useless model in matched games. In other words it would be much better to have two phoenix from the beginning of the game for 280 and just not make the 4+ roll at all.

Aggesut, I believe you are right. I doubt that is how GW wanted it to be played/paid for, but you are probably right in that it is the way to interpret it as things stand right now. 

In that sense the phoenix with annoited would cost 560 points, but only regenrate itself on 4+. Makes the whole thing kind of broken and an almost useless model in matched games. In other words it would be much better to have two phoenix from the beginning of the game for 280 and just not make the 4+ roll at all.

25 minutes ago, Ravenwing said:

I completely agree with you, which is why they need to FAQ a lot of models because of these small oversights - Drycha for example will hit herself with 10 D6 (MW on 6s) on Flutterfuries because of the wording "Roll 10 dice for each unit within range" and single models has been FAQ'ed for all purposes as active units in range of themselves - In this case it would help to add "except units with the Sylvaneth Keyword" or "Except Drycha herself" as to not have her be a suicide bomber (But hey, it makes for some fun nights!)

Archived