Are chaos warriors obsolete?

Arkiham

With the new Tzeentch release soon to be out, it mentions in the release video that both khorne and nurgle have made their plays and both failed, an now its the long wait for tzeentchs turn to fail until we get slaanesh,

With this release there seems to be an obvious drive to use tzaangors and Acolytes, understandably so, they're lovely models.

Khorne has blood warriors and blood reavers, again lovely models

Nurgle meanwhile has blightkings, so I suspect we're likely to get a single and double wound model for him, at some point.

Slaanesh, who knows, likely a similar trend.

So, where does this leave our beloved chaos warriors of old ? They feel subpar due to their rules being rather dull tbh, the profile is good for their cost, but they're still lacking.

I rarely see lists containing them and they seem very much a last resort.

Does this all mean the once mighty chaos warrior has been humbled, and cast to the wayside to be forgotten?

i dont proved it as nurgle, i think they can be pretty tanky with a harbringer of decay, but obsolet as khorne????!! omg!!!

Bro i put all games with 2 haded weapons, i gived him one atack with aspring deathbringer, also +1 to hit with command trait, and the bloodsecrator give him anoter atack. i OBLITERATED all times the units what i fighthed with .

yes the bloodwarriors can attack twice,  but the lack of rend, and if the enemy doesn´t kill more than 3, put the chaos marked warriors of chaos in his lvl. This 2 units are the best elite battlelines ingame in my opinion.

And the marauders are also good with for his cost with flails, if you buff it like i sayd they can have 3 atacks each and hitting and wounding on 3, and saving on 5. For 60 pints 10 of them.... i  always put a unit of 20, because sometimes my warrriors of chaos or bloodwarriors die first vs shoots, and ppl don't expect  the combat power of this marauders.

The same happens with slaanesh mark with the two handed warriors of chaos, you put it +1 to hit and with the slaanesh lord mounted allow him attack twice...xD

Do you mean the entire StD line? My line of thinking is apply Tzeentch keyword to them and see what kinds of new strange combos and abilities they get. There will be new spells, allegiance stuff, and new battalions. I'm sure some will be specified but others will be filled with whatever keyword Tzeentch units. 

They may be expensive but could be crazy soon. Like Slaanesh Chosen that get double pile in and such

The model line is clearly going to be put on the back burner for awhile, with Chaos getting a more specialized God focus. 

They certainly don't seem stellar, but they can provide a facet to a lineup that a Mono-God unit list might be lacking. Khorne Bloodbound, for example, could use them as tankier units, with faster options as well. 

The meta certainly doesn't seem to support them now, but I imagine there are those that could use them to great effect, especially in using them to disrupt their opponents expectations of their lists without disrupting their army's synergy. 

"Oh you're playing a Nurgle list? That should be slow."

*plop down a bunch of Nurgle Knights and Nurgle Marauder horsemen*. 

They are still viable, especially in battalions where you can buff them i.e. fatesworn or plaguetouched. Obviously, in a chorine army, with great weapons, they're  a force to be reckoned with....

I haven't brought them with Slaanesh yet, but that's because Daemonettes are so awesome, and if I want mortal Slaanesh, marauders seem to be more fluffy with a lower save and better speed.

On 1/1/2017 at 10:29 AM, Arkiham said:

Khorne has blood warriors and blood reavers, again lovely models

Khorne has the best chaos battle line in chaos in my opinion. With their glaive special, they gain some rend and ultimately their best advantage is their ability to do damage out of phase. To fight them in melee means you are literally fighting twice their number, which is incredible. Supported with multiple bloodsecrators... woa. 

In addition to this, they have the potential to deal mortal wounds on saving throws. I'm pretty convinced there's no army in the game that can take on 50 blood warriors :)

That said, I use WOC as filler for my nurgle army. Blightkings are tanky but expensive and when debuffed, their special can't trigger. I use 10 Warriors with shields and 10 warriors with great weapons. I have more with rune-shields if I know I'm going up against an army that's mortal wound heavy for 2 separate 5+ saves vs mortal wounds. Daemonic Power is a fantastic buff, and with the right support they are doing all kinds of nasty stuff for a battle line unit: 3 wounds (glottkin), 3+3+ to hit/wound (lord of war), 3+ save (mystic shield), 5-6 unmodifiable save (Harbinger of Decay), and occasionally spreading nurgle's rot (blightkings). Rerolling ones (Daemonic Power). I'm sure there's further synergy I am missing. 

You could go with Gors or Clanrats if you want to take care of coretax cheaply, but I like the iron wall of warriors. 

Archived