Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

@CATS It really depends on the complete list so Ill commment on that later. If you just want to tie up enemy units I do however think that both are slightly inferior to Chaos Warriors who can obtain a '5+ ward' with their shields. They lack the output Blood Warriors have but in general tying this up isn't Khorne's finesse.

With Archaon though I often see that points are rare to find so you might want to consider our cheapest attrition alternative aswell, being Marauders. Who at 60 points with a 5+ save might very well be our chunkiest unit for that cost.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Killax, my list atm is as follows:

Archaon, The Everchosen [320pts]
General
Aspiring Deathbringer [80pts]
Bloodsecrator [120pts]
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut [140pts]

Battleline
10xBloodreavers [60pts]
10xBloodreavers [60pts]
10xBloodreavers [60pts]
10xBloodreavers [60pts]

Other
6xMighty Skullcrushers [320pts]
3xMighty Skullcrushers [160pts]
3xMighty Skullcrushers [160pts]
Varanguard [360pts]

Battalion: Brass Stampede [80pts]

Chaos warriors sound like a great idea, but there not being much points to throw around, i can only afford one unit of them. Ill look into marauders as well, although they look boring as hell to paint compared to khorne battleline units.

i don't really understand the point of taking archaon

You want to use two command ability ? Kick archaon out, take the mighty lord of khorne as a general. Play khorne and use the first step of the blood tithe for letting the aspiring deathbringer use his command ability if needed (right after the charge i suppose)

It has the same effect and you don't have to weigh yourself with archaon or his varanguards

Fair point, I already have a box of varanguard my friend bought me as a birthday gift, would be a shame not to use them, but youre propably right, ill go thru my list again and see what i can do

Ok this is what i came up with, would it be better to run the chaos warriors in 2 separate units or in one big one. Blood warriors are there just to fill in the remaining points for which i couldnt find any other use.

Mighty Lord of Khorne [140pts]

-General

Aspiring Deathbringer [80pts]

Bloodsecrator [120pts]

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut [140pts]

5xBlood Warriors [100pts]

20xChaos Warriors [360pts]

Battalion: Brass Stampede [80pts]

They sure are, so much fun to paint too, propably only gonna work in a purely everchosen list unfortunately. They are way too expensive for what they are, and without an archaon even more useless.

Just now, Carnelian said:

I wish we saw more varanguard on the table they are way cool

They're really a great concept that just been executed horribly.  They are way over costed in points, they're expensive models, and they don't function with allegiance keywords well.  Honestly if they just changed them to gaining a keyword on deployment like Slaves to Darkness units we'd probably see more of them.  Currently they just don't fit anywhere.

I agree pretty much with the above, other than to say that Archaon does apply for the Khorne Alliance and is the only Wizard Khorne has ;) This might not be considered too relevant but Mystic Shield is really good for anyone, Archaon included. 

@CATS your latest list looks again solid to me for regular gameplay but I still don't know what your intend is. Do you want to have a list for competative or tournament play or just fun. If it's the latter play as you like, learning is the coolest part of the experience :) Same with Archaon, if you want to play him, play him. 

The only critique I can give on the list is that if you want to play Bloodbound Brass Stampede you can do so and remove the Chaos Warriors. This way your Skullcrushers can become battleline. In addition there is very little to go for all 6 units, if you have 7 3-model Skullcrusher units Brass Stampede becomes MUCH better.

I think that the Varanguard models are certainly awesome, though it all depends on what you intend to do with them.
As is I think they will be updated once we see Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness logically combine into one Battletome. Same applies for some of the older Chaos designs that seem a bit too limited as is. Perhaps for a specific balance reason but likely because a lot of the design still comes from the AoS to WFB overlap.  Shout out to our Khorne bae Valkia:
1488307168191677174.jpg 

I have to admit I kind of lost her out of my eyes during Bloodbound but having given her a test with The Goretide quickly still shows how extremely relevant she is for her 120 points. Granted I do think that multiple Bloodsecrators are the best plan to solidify your strategies into Missle attack heavy armies I do like her. A lot!

What I hope to see in the future is that we'll also recieve a more functional Skarr. He's certainly good for his abilities but the fact that it's so impracticle to return him makes him simply said too expensive. At a 100 points however I do think he'd suddenly come out of the paint much better. He isn't bad as is at all but as always SPEED is of the essence for us flootslugging armies. 

Now so far I also have only hear bad stories about Chaos Knigths, though I'd love to know what people deem to be exactly wrong with them? 

11 hours ago, Killax said:

Now so far I also have only hear bad stories about Chaos Knigths, though I'd love to know what people deem to be exactly wrong with them? 

They're not bad, they just aren't great.  In a khorne army they're going to be up against Mighty Skullcrushers or Khorograths for comparison, and they just fall short when compared to those two units in my opinion.   I don't think they're so bad one should avoid them at all cost, so if you like them they can certainly work.

8 minutes ago, CATS said:

Shame, originally i had the idea of combining both chaos knights and skullcrushers into a combined cavalry list, they look so awesome too.

They used to, i ran a brass stampede and ruinbringer? Warband with a couple of gorebeasts. Great fun 

I know we have been through this before, but what is the official ruling on the Goretide wording? Can I use MLOK + Slaughterborn and then "Any number of additional KHORNE BLOODBOUND units or battalions"? Essentially combining with a Brass Stampede. The thing is of course the "may" and the list where I feel the "0-1 Gorechosen" kind of implies that you have to include all three bullets in the list, otherwise it wouldn't be necessary to define 0-1 since it would be optional anyways. 

IMG_9704.PNG

7 minutes ago, misthv said:

I know we have been through this before, but what is the official ruling on the Goretide wording? Can I use MLOK + Slaughterborn and then "Any number of additional KHORNE BLOODBOUND units or battalions"? Essentially combining with a Brass Stampede. The thing is of course the "may" and the list where I feel the "0-1 Gorechosen" kind of implies that you have to include all three bullets in the list, otherwise it wouldn't be necessary to define 0-1 since it would be optional anyways. 

IMG_9704.PNG

required parts are the top. 

optional parts are the secondary parts.

so you make a list with the slaughterborn battalion and the MloK then add goretide. 

if you wanted to add brass stampede you'd also need to add 2 other battalions, as of the 3-7 requirements.

you can add the gore chosen, 

you can just add any random units that are Khorne Bloodbound.

now if you wanted to run goretide and brass stampede you can, but brass stampede wouldn't gain the benefits of goretide, 

Most of all, most Khorne Bloodbound Battalions have become Khorne Battalions.

In order to have Brass Stampede gain The Goretide effects you need to have 2 others from the named list.

A Battalion does not gain the Keyword of the Units that are in it. 

Hi! Which would you consider to be the best way to start playing as khorne mortals? The start collecting, the Khorne part of the starter or the battleforce?

Primarely speaking about heroes and such.

On the other hand, are all those models customizable or are they monopose? I like making small convertions and would like to know if the models are good for it.

Thank you very much for your help and sorry about my bad english!

1 hour ago, aquenaton said:

Hi! Which would you consider to be the best way to start playing as khorne mortals? The start collecting, the Khorne part of the starter or the battleforce?

On the other hand, are all those models customizable or are they monopose? I like making small convertions and would like to know if the models are good for it.

Id say starter since it gives you three key heroes; mlok, secrator and the stoker! And they don't sell separately...

2 hours ago, misthv said:

Id say starter since it gives you three key heroes; mlok, secrator and the stoker! And they don't sell separately...

I'd agree with this too.  It'll give you a very solid basis for the army going forward.  The Mighty Lord of Khorne and Bloodsecrator are solid choices for many armies and are mandatory choices for a number of battalions.  The Bloodstoker is a good utility piece and will give a Khorne army an extra bit of speed (at least until you work out other ways to increase your movement).  Finally the Khorgorath works as a brilliant "tarpit" unit, throwing out a sensible bit of damage and able to soak up quite a bit in return.

To expand, I'd suggest the new Frenzied Goretribe box.  It'll give you an Exalted Deathbringer with spear and a unit of Wrathmongers or Skullreapers.  Most armies contain one (or both) of these units and at smaller points they're very impressive.  From then on I'd say go whatever play style suits you, I don't run any Bloodreavers as I prefer having models with more armour for example.

4 hours ago, aquenaton said:

As stated above, The Bloodbound half of the starter box is the best way to go. There's even an older formation available on the App (Goreblade Warband) or in the now-outdated Khorne Bloodbound book that gives a bonus to running all the units from that box and is overall fairly solid. 

The Hero's are all Monopose, sadly. Only the Exalted Deathbringer with Spear gives us an option of helmeted head or magnificent beard. 

Once you have the starter half in your pocket, ask yourself which direction you want to go and start building towards that: 

The fun of Khorne (and Chaos in general) is that we are spoiled for options with this new book, and that's before we even look at mixing in some of the juicier Khorne-marked Slaves to Darkness units. 

You'll still need to get a few more things to run those battalion's I've mentioned above, but the items suggested will put you at almost there with maximum savings. 

Last but not least, if Gorechosen is still available in your area, I'd snatch it up quick. It's a great value for the models, and you get an awesome game to boot. 

On 2017-5-31 at 11:06 AM, Jharen said:

They're not bad, they just aren't great.  In a khorne army they're going to be up against Mighty Skullcrushers or Khorograths for comparison, and they just fall short when compared to those two units in my opinion.   I don't think they're so bad one should avoid them at all cost, so if you like them they can certainly work.

I think you have a very valid point, granted I do think that the niche they fill is different from Khorgoraths or Skullcrushers. While the difference in speed might not be too obvious for the Skullcrusher comparison I think there is something to say about Knights, though it will be more appearant the moment Murderlust (Blood Tithe) comes into effect, as I can see them covering massive distances that allow you to break point A and continue on point B. 

I'll try to give them a try as soon as I feel comfortable enough without running too much of the Battalions as Murderlust and The Goretide certainly don't feel like they require Chaos Knights at all due to the speed gained. The advantage of Knights still seems to be there when ran as a shock troop unit due to their possible Rend 1 and 2 damage profile on Chaos Glaives. Now I certainly do get the Skullcrusher preforance, mainly due to how Brass Stampede can turn them into something very lethal. It also very well be that Chaos Knights come in slightly too expensive at 200 points for their design.

One of the most common things to say for Khorne's Slaves to Darkness in my opinion is that we have a ton of overlap in unit design. It boils down to if you want to have the effects of Chaos Runeshields. Though I do think fans of Gore Pilgrims should consider this option. Due to Bronzed Flesh being our version of Mystic Shield and adding it all on top of Chaos Warriors or Chaos Knights can present a sturdy formation that Daemons and Bloodbound really cannot create. Granted the 'good' output of both Daemons and Bloodbound units contains so many roads to Mortal Wounds that it isn't really needed either. Though I now want to rest 20 Chaos Warriors with Bronzed Flesh and Chaos Greatblades aswell :) (3+ save, re-roll 1's, Rend -1) 

Thank you very much! It seems I will need to start to look for the starter set, and gorechosen also seems interesting...

Right now will avoid the Bloodreaver spam, as I like to paint small quantities of models (that´s why I decided to avoid death). About the minis, are they customizable? Is it very complex to manage a head swap on the MLoK?

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, aquenaton said:

Thank you very much! It seems I will need to start to look for the starter set, and gorechosen also seems interesting...

Right now will avoid the Bloodreaver spam, as I like to paint small quantities of models (that´s why I decided to avoid death). About the minis, are they customizable? Is it very complex to manage a head swap on the MLoK?

Thanks!

Most mini's are very customizable. However you do often want to have some greenstuff available and some pins to hold things in place as you like.

For example, we have Skullreapers/Wrathmongers who's arms are allready on the body and also do not have a ball/socket head. Instead they follow the same patron the Gorechosen/Bloodreavers have, with this I mean that the neck connection is as good as the same.
The Blood Warriors still have the ball/socket heads and seperate arms, you can switch their parts around quite easily with the Skullcrushers for example because they have the same type of design.

In most cases it's all possible but it does sometimes require some additional work. It isn't exact Lego's so to speak :). Googling the sprues will help you a lot aswell. Lastly the two player starter box Blood Warriors and Bloodreavers are not the same as the seperate box Blood Warriors and Bloodreavers. While the small 3/5-guys kits are the same as the two player starter box 'one-click' models.

The MLoK head is easy to switch out but his armour is kind of a Terminator armour kind of deal. He has a partial hood which prefents the bunny helmets to fit very easily in there. Everything is easy to cut though, all models are relatively large and plastic.

Archived