Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

43 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Cheers to everyone that replied.

@Patapoef I'm liking the council of blood idea. Basically I don't need one more BT, I need two!

Looking at council of blood warscroll has me thinking: can you burn 3 blood tithe points to charge a bloodthirster into combat at the start of the hero phase, then use the COB ability to fight a round of combat with that BT straight after. 

Only problem with 3 bloodthirster is going be that it's a complete step away from gorepilgrims + stoker. Hmm must mull over it further.

Thoughts on which artifacts/command traits anyone would take if it was a list with 1 wrath of khorne & 2 x insensate rage 2 stokers and 1 banner?

I think a brazen rune and the crimson crown would be nice.

As trait i would go with either immense power or slaughterborn.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Patapoef said:

I think a brazen rune and the crimson crown would be nice.

As trait i would go with either immense power or slaughterborn.

Absolutely all good ideas, for BT I think Immense Power on the WoK makes him a legit problem. Though even for lists who didn't brick up with Bloodletters I think that The Crimson Crown is the fantastic first goto Artefact.

2 hours ago, Killax said:

Though even for lists who didn't brick up with Bloodletters I think that The Crimson Crown is the fantastic first goto Artefact.

My problem is a "rich's problem" : i have to choose between artifacts that i loves and thoses i need.

Basically i love taking The Crimson Crown or the mark of the slayer, but i need the burning talisman and i think we will need more and more the Dispell rune.

What would you choose if you have to take two of them?

1 hour ago, kozokus said:

My problem is a "rich's problem" : i have to choose between artifacts that i loves and thoses i need.

Basically i love taking The Crimson Crown or the mark of the slayer, but i need the burning talisman and i think we will need more and more the Dispell rune.

What would you choose if you have to take two of them?

I would prefer thaking The Crimson Crown because of the offensive impact it has. Mark of the Slayer is good but with sufficient Bloodletters (and thus Crimson Crown) pretty much the whole unit obtains a death touch that delites stuff which is our main goal for Khorne armies. Burning Talisman is also cool but usually if you want to speed things up double Bloodstokers are sufficient. The Brazen Rune is a last nice addition, especially now it can Unbind from everywhere. Though even the best spells in the game are just a subject of the turn. Where the moment models with The Crimson Crown stick around the same stuff that is buffed will go down. 

But I have to say, I don't know which list you currently have in mind. The Crimson Crown at least requires 2 additional Bloodletter units or Bloodthirsters. The thing is really that it makes Bloodthirster and Bloodletters click for their points as the attacks just accumulate. It's still a dice roll but it turns a little luck in less luck required for the rest of the game.

33 minutes ago, Killax said:

But I have to say, I don't know which list you currently have in mind.

Was thinking about something we can see sometimes at the moment : minimal gore pilgrim + WOKBT + 2 Stocker + 2X30 Bloodletter.

I am quite happy for the moment with Crown + Burning Talisman™ 81h9ss1mMTL.png But the number of dangerous spells in the game is growing and i wonder if a free out-of-jail dispell wouldn't be "necessary" in a tournament environement.

The talisman is currently worth 2" movement in a turn and can be the difference between a charge and a fail, even more with the long distance charge you can attempt.

8 minutes ago, kozokus said:

Was thinking about something we can see sometimes at the moment : minimal gore pilgrim + WOKBT + 2 Stocker + 2X30 Bloodletter.

I am quite happy for the moment with Crown + Burning Talisman™ 81h9ss1mMTL.png But the number of dangerous spells in the game is growing and i wonder if a free out-of-jail dispell wouldn't be "necessary" in a tournament environement.

The talisman is currently worth 2" movement in a turn and can be the difference between a charge and a fail, even more with the long distance charge you can attempt.

Sounds like a great plan to me, in that case I would indeed add Immense Power, The Crimson Crown and The Brazen Rune. The thing is really that WoKBT, double Stoker and Bloodletters should sufficiently be sped up this way. More can be added but I think youll be good as is. One additional consideration is that if you are really worried about units getting there thaking Bronzed Flesh is still an option. It means you hand over some Mortal Wound potential for the Bloodletters but keep the BT/Bloodletters alive. That choice is really up to you and depends heavily on the ammount of Shooting attacks you expect for your particular meta.

I will probably follow your advice on the Talisman, after all, the balewind vortex is a thing nowaday.

6 minutes ago, Killax said:

One additional consideration is that if you are really worried about units getting there thaking Bronzed Flesh is still an option.

About the inclusion of bronzed flesh i will quote Duke Nukem, who has something to say about that. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSe5Zlo6h14Cnd52SS4vzt

So first if all, let me thank all the posters here. I'm on holiday with my in laws who don't speak English and I've blasted through 30 plus pages of this thread over the last few days. Some great topics. Who remember a those heady days of arguing over whether chaos allegiance was better than khorne allegiance?

I've always loved bloodbound ever since I split the starter box and have them to my friend. Thanks to shadespire and white dwarf I got a slaughterpriest and Garreks reavers and since then I've added some more Reavers and priests etc.

Reading this thread made me realise how cool the blades of khorne book is. So many interesting choices to make and the blood tithe is such a cool thematic and makes for really interesting in-game decisions. It's the whole reason I'm being dragged into khorne!

On 01/02/2018 at 9:36 PM, AthlorianStoners said:

A friend of mine runs Blades of Khorne, and has been struggling a little of late. Was just posting here to see if anyone had any tips, tricks or battle strategies they’d recommend. He usually plays against Beastclaw Raiders, FEC and a magic heavy Death list. 

The units he has available are: 

Skarbrand 

Mighty Lord 

Bloodsecrator 

Bloodstoker 

2 x Slaughterpriests 

Herald Of Khorne 

Khorgarath

3 x Skullcrushers

15 x Bloodwarriors 

30 x Bloodreavers 

20 x Bloodletters 

Skullcannon

Sayl (a counts as model, he’s yet to play him though)

He plays a little hesitantly, often holding his more powerful stuff in reserve. I’ll probabky get him to sign up here but for now any help would be awesome.

Your friend has the makings of a list that is very similar to something ive vene playing around with whilst reading the list, being basically gore pilgrims plus skarbrand.

Imho skarbrand is the coolest looking bloodthirster and sounds like an absolute blast to use but due to his relatively slow movement and lack of real durability,  he's no way a super easy choice. However with a couple of slaughterpriests buffing his armour he can be a beast! Its all theory hammer but here's what I'm thinking and it would be good to get some feedback before painting even more Reavers!:

Gore pilgrims

Slaughterpriests x 2

Bloodsecrator

Bloodstoker

Mighty Lord of Khorne

Skarbrand 

5 Blood warriors

10 Reavers

10 Reavers

10 Reavers

10 Reavers 

10 Reavers 

Garreks reavers

10 skullreapers 

The plan would be to rush the reavers forwards as bait and to take up boardspace and also dend the skullreapers and mighty lord of Khorne forwards as threats whereas hangback/protect skarbrand with bronzed flesh and Reavers for the first battle round and turn 2 to then send him in, moving him with blood tithe and the bloodstoker if necessary (assuming you lose a few reavers or characters) to get him where he need a to be so he is hitting at incandescent level, use slaugbterpriests to move chaff out the way - and with the extra bloodsecrator attack and re rolls on both axes he should pulverize whatever he meets! Obviously this is less effective against horde armies with no big guys to target.

I'd like to get a third slaughter priest in if I could to give +1 to hit to skarbrand or skullreapers etc but that would mean dropping the bloodstoker whose utility just seems ideal or the mighty lord of khorne who can be really killy with command trait and an artefact.

Any one have any good ideas for protecting skarbrand from getting wrecked from 1 or 2 turns of shooting? That would be the main problem to me - 14 wounds with a 4+ save (even boosted to 3+ or 2+) is not going to survive long on a big model like Skarbrand who cannot hide against Kharadron or other shooty lists.

I too would love to find a competitive way to field Skarbrand.  Perhaps the best way of protecting him Rd. 1.  is to force your opponent to  shoot at more pressing needs. Depends on scenario, but  you can force the reaction to things occupying objectives - or he concedes points to take down Skarbrand.  Thus the hordes of whipped reavers or skull crushers. 

I'm certainly going to give it a try in friendly games, and we'll see how it goes.

Absolutely amazing! Saw the pictures on the Facebook page too, great to see you guys had such a nice and big game :D 

Currently working on a Daemon Prince, more for 40K use but hopefully altered enough so I can exuse him for Age of Sigmar too. Though some cables will remain.

I am going for the 40K look because I really don't like the AoS/WFB look GW has designed for him. It looks to much like an Ogre with wings to me.

On 9-2-2018 at 8:05 PM, annarborhawk said:

I too would love to find a competitive way to field Skarbrand.  Perhaps the best way of protecting him Rd. 1.  is to force your opponent to  shoot at more pressing needs. Depends on scenario, but  you can force the reaction to things occupying objectives - or he concedes points to take down Skarbrand.  Thus the hordes of whipped reavers or skull crushers. 

I'm certainly going to give it a try in friendly games, and we'll see how it goes.

Bloodstokers and Slaughterpriests are pretty much the way to go. In addition if you thake a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster on top of it at least he will be very fast and decently armoured ;) 

Feel free to come back with the results, it's generally a hit/miss scenario with him. He will certainly thake out a target and if that target was also 400+ points I think he has done his job well. But the simplest aspect to remove things with remain Bloodletters, which is why I like them and will almost always advice using them. They are what keeps the competitive Khornate boat afloat.

5 hours ago, jazman84 said:

Nice!

Any details on what armies involved/who won etc?

Upload more pics if you got em ?

Game was supposed to kick off the MP campaign in store, but of those of us who showed, only 1 was non-chaos ;)  Ended up being Nurgle (3 players, mix of daemons, mortals, and Pestilens),  vs. the rest (3x Tzeentch daemons, my Khorne, and seraphon).  Game tied at 1 objective each, but came right down to it.  If I'd had an extra BT point, I could have moved in a unit of Bloodletters to take the other objective.

3 hours ago, Duck1986 said:

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before - is there a points value for the battalion in the Bloodbound start collecting box?  I cant spot it anywhere and have my first game with my army in a couple of days. 

As before not in/with gh2017. Ask locally if you can use it. 

On 10/02/2018 at 10:24 PM, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Played in a massive AoS game today.  around 8-9 thousand point a side, including 3000+ of my Khorne.  Some pics attached, but it was a crazy game.  Summoned a Bloodthirster, 30 Bloodletters, and a DP - via bloodtithe ;)

FMB

Khorne 1.jpg

Khorne 2.jpg

Khorne 3.jpg

Nice! Haven't played anything that size in AoS yet. Did you find bloodtithe scales up pretty well in a large game?

On 09/02/2018 at 7:05 PM, annarborhawk said:

I just see skarbrand as a liability. Hes got an awesome damage output, but just costs too many points for a 14 wound model who is probably reliant on one, if not two bloodstokers and a WoKBT to get him into combat before he dies.

You could possibly get a two drop list by taking council of blood (with two other bloodthirsters) and the blood marked warband (2 stokers, a banner and 6 small units)

1 hour ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Nice! Haven't played anything that size in AoS yet. Did you find bloodtithe scales up pretty well in a large game?

BT was ridiculous.  I hit cap and summoned 3 times, as well as blocking a spell and multiple unit moves.  It was open play, so unrestricted summoning, and we had more than a dozen wizards on the table, so anything non-mortal that died just got resummoned.

I've generally found Khorne gets goofy powerful in multi-player games, as more units = more BT.

FMB

1 hour ago, eduboy said:

Do you need to pay point cost of Spawn from the Mark of the Destroyer in Matched Play?

Yeah, like returning Skarr we need to because a model is removed and then another enters, unfortunatly it's not a full replacement effect. There is more to it ruleswise but we have to play Matched Play points for it. My best advice is that if he attacked but can't kill anyone he's just dead (which is an option too). Unworthy of Khorne ;) 

On 2/7/2018 at 5:26 AM, jazman84 said:

I used a Finecast Scylla.

I Put it in boiling water to change the pose so his fist was touching the ground and he covererd a Heavy Cav base horizontally.

I'll take a photo soon.

In response to this:

He was failcast so after placing in boiling water I could change his pose to fill up the heavy cav base and make him look less Scylary...

After removing a few spikes of his collar the boiling water also allowed me to make them more dynamic like tentacles.

I'm tossing up what I want to do with his tail and if I want to change his head/fist.

20180215_163831.jpg

20180215_163952.jpg

Archived