Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

1 hour ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Sabrewulf's post about Chosen has me thinking, and I need an ask.  Can someone with access to both the Bloodreaver and Bloodwarrior boxes please check and see if the meatripper axe arms from the BRs will fit on the BW bodies?  Thanks in advance for any help.

FMB

Checked it for you but it's a bit hit and miss, I think your easier done if you just convert them from Blood Warriors. Afterall, Blood Warriors don't have big weapon options so a single big axe with bits from the Skullreapers should really do the trick I believe.

Having said that I'm not that big on Chosen, there is also a part in Sabrewulfs write up that isn't correct. The Chosen can buff Slaves to Darkness units. The Khorne Lord on Juggernaut is not a Slaves to Darkness unit...

But feel free to Sayl bomb Chosen, that can be fun and is strong. 

9 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Honestly my Khorne army is currently  fluffy and fun more than anything (I don't even run a Bloodletters blob!) it's purely mortal and I love the idea of loads of big hulking creatures running forward at the enemy and slamming into enemy infantry!

I will definitely look into the headswap idea as I have Bloodthirster parts lying around somewhere. I also had an idea of maybe using the faces/masks from the Talos pain engine kit and basically having these faces of pure violence and destruction hiding behind ominous masks as they hulk towards the enemy.

Going full Mortal is cool with me also, having said that though even Bloodbound shouldn't be full mortal when you consider their Daemonic Juggernauts and Fleshhounds ;) 
Best part for Khorgoraths I feel is the Bloodletter skull from the skull set, by large because Khorgoraths are actually constructed by Bloodletters and in addition to that an additional skull as head just blends in well with it's open skull filled back and all that.

The Dark Eldar Talos heads are certainly amazing swap pieces. Prime reason why I didn't go for that route is because I couldn't obtain the bits and didn't feel like buying a whole Talos model just for the heads if the Skullset offered an alternative.
Third time I'm showing this old picture but I still really like a Bloodletter skull on top of the Khorgorath's neck. I also added tusks to make it show some of it's bestial features the narrative suggests it had.

3e5582fbbb8500ad223f4c8730cff6d2.jpg

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Think we will get a multipart kit one day or does anyone have any good conversions?

I see people here and there doing coversion based on different alternative models :

-Chaos spawn : Ugly but with a good paint job can be convincingK

-Crypt horrors : Okayish, there are a bunch of skulls in the kit that made them convincing.

-Wingless-armorless daemon prince : Expensive option

-Kitbash Rat-ogor or Stormfiends : quite convincing but require Headswap and a bunch of Khorne icons

Hope that helps.

9 minutes ago, Killax said:

Checked it for you but it's a bit hit and miss, I think your easier done if you just convert them from Blood Warriors. Afterall, Blood Warriors don't have big weapon options so a single big axe with bits from the Skullreapers should really do the trick I believe.

Having said that I'm not that big on Chosen, there is also a part in Sabrewulfs write up that isn't correct. The Chosen can buff Slaves to Darkness units. The Khorne Lord on Juggernaut is not a Slaves to Darkness unit...

Reveal hidden contents

3e5582fbbb8500ad223f4c8730cff6d2.jpg

Thanks, Killax, much appreciated.  Pity - I was hoping that'd work.  I also caught the glitch in Sabrewulf's write up, but it's actually the buff the Juggerlord gives them that interests me.  They're not as efficient in delivering MW as a Letterbomb, but they do more in that line than any other mortal unit (with the exception of the JL himself, when Gorecleavered).  The prospect of a fun modelling project that was a) mortal, and b) gave me some moderate, but viable MW options had me intrigued.  I'm increasingly of the opinion that in both AoS and 40k, competitive armies have a) mobility, b) range, and c) the ability to dish out MW in numbers, so anything that adds to any of those capabilities is of interest.

8 minutes ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Thanks, Killax, much appreciated.  Pity - I was hoping that'd work.  I also caught the glitch in Sabrewulf's write up, but it's actually the buff the Juggerlord gives them that interests me.  They're not as efficient in delivering MW as a Letterbomb, but they do more in that line than any other mortal unit (with the exception of the JL himself, when Gorecleavered).  The prospect of a fun modelling project that was a) mortal, and b) gave me some moderate, but viable MW options had me intrigued.  I'm increasingly of the opinion that in both AoS and 40k, competitive armies have a) mobility, b) range, and c) the ability to dish out MW in numbers, so anything that adds to any of those capabilities is of interest.

No worries, I think it still can, but might look less nice as you probably intended. I think that the Skullreapers still make a really close comparison really. They are a bit more expensive but otherwise can theoretically still dish out more Mortal wounds. They do a fun trick when they die too.

What I am still hoping for (mail send last week) is that Skullcrushers will simply get that Daemon Keyword so more speed options open to us as an army altogether. The fact that they don't have it is also what makes them so "niche" in functionality. Same is true for Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut and Mighty Lord of Khorne. Just by looking at Nurgle and Tzeentch comparison, like 40K, that Keyword is very relevant and if it makes sence it's on there it really should be on there.

Mobility for us can be obtained in various ways but yeah now is largely limited to Bloodletters if you want more as the Bloodstoker effect. Having said that, one of the strongest combinations we can still present is Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster's Command Ability (with Crimson Crown and Immense Power) on Bloodletters that are also buffed by a Bloodstoker, Bloodsecrator and ideally killing Frenzy from the Slaughterpriest. There is nothing in Khorne that beats that in terms of raw MW power. It deletes units. Having said that this is also why I feel our Daemon units should all have that Keyword like the other Chaos units ;) 

19 hours ago, Killax said:

The Lord of Khorne Command Ability? Adds 1 to his otherwise 3+ to wound.

In general the combos are cool, could post them all over again but its cooler to find them out whilst exploring the army.

There is a reason why I think The Crimson Crown is the strongest Artefact in this book and really not going for it is missing out on raw power.

The Lord on Demonic Mount, which is what he was originally referencing, does not have any such ability, that's why I'm confused.

45 minutes ago, exliontamer said:

The Lord on Demonic Mount, which is what he was originally referencing, does not have any such ability, that's why I'm confused.

Yeah he also doesnt have a Goreglaive, has potentially acces to Gorecleaver.

The combo works allright with LoKoJ for Chosen but not the other way around.

Frankly though Skullreapers do it better because you cant roll 1s to Wound that way to see where their MW is going.

We basically lost fast Bloodbound since the incredible Goretide Battalion cost increase.

4 hours ago, kozokus said:

I see people here and there doing coversion based on different alternative models :

-Crypt horrors : Okayish, there are a bunch of skulls in the kit that made them convincing.

-Kitbash Rat-ogor or Stormfiends : quite convincing but require Headswap and a bunch of Khorne icons

Hope that helps.

I used a Finecast Scylla.

I Put it in boiling water to change the pose so his fist was touching the ground and he covererd a Heavy Cav base horizontally.

I'll take a photo soon.

So, been looking through the new Nurgle book, and there's loads of filth.  Key bit is a spell that, on a 7+, gives any friendly unit the ability to cause a MW on a 6 to hit, in addition to normal damage, i.e., it turns anything into Bloodletters.

40 Plague monks are 240 points, have 2 attacks, and can reroll misses if armed with 2 weapons.  Any thoughts on how we're dealing with this?

FMB

Does Nurgle have any way to buff the to hit rolls like Khorne? I feel like that’s what makes bloodletters so silly. Most of the time they would be doing mortals on a 4+ (20 man unit or more, and one Killing Frenzy) and can get to absurd levels if you want to throw multiple KFs on.  And they’re only 270pts. Likely 2 attacks with bloodsecrator...and maybe 3 if you get some Wrathmongers nearby.  Now that’s the extreme, but even just a regular unit doing them on 5+ is solid.

2 hours ago, FPC said:

Does Nurgle have any way to buff the to hit rolls like Khorne? I feel like that’s what makes bloodletters so silly. Most of the time they would be doing mortals on a 4+ (20 man unit or more, and one Killing Frenzy) and can get to absurd levels if you want to throw multiple KFs on.  And they’re only 270pts. Likely 2 attacks with bloodsecrator...and maybe 3 if you get some Wrathmongers nearby.  Now that’s the extreme, but even just a regular unit doing them on 5+ is solid.

That question is more for maggotkin thread, but with nurgle you can put 40 marauders and the spell. Of mortal wounds on 6. They have innate  buff (on 3+) of +1 to hit. If you play glotkin you can also get him extra atack.

That 200 points 40 marauders have then 2 atacs who causes mortal wounds on 5+. 

Fair enough...not bad. I don’t know much about Nurgle so was really just curious. I guess there’s still a higher ceiling with Bloodletters, the speed buffs like WoK run and charge and bloodstoker, inate rend -1, a better base to hit, demon buffs like the crimson crown.

Not sure of Nurgle is going to be putting out the sheer number of easy mortals on a fast platform but looks like they can get close.

Also, just the basic fact that Nurgle needs a spell is a huge limit.

I'm thinking more in terms of what we do about it.  The biggest weakness I've found with a letterbomb is that it's predicable - your opponent knows where the  threat is, and can contain it.

The issue here is that the spell can be productively dropped on any decent sized unit - or any unit that can pump out a decent number of attacks (like Blightkings).  I'm thinking spell defense just got that much more important.

FMB

True. A well placed brazen rune or a couple of tithe points. Not all of our units are susceptible to mw spam. Throw some reavers out front to eat the mortals. They hardly have a save anyway so what’s the difference! Or is it’s on small elite heavy hitters maybe wrathmongers? Use their fancy stuff against them.

3 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

I'm thinking more in terms of what we do about it.  The biggest weakness I've found with a letterbomb is that it's predicable - your opponent knows where the  threat is, and can contain it.

The issue here is that the spell can be productively dropped on any decent sized unit - or any unit that can pump out a decent number of attacks (like Blightkings).  I'm thinking spell defense just got that much more important.

FMB

Once you start getting a 2nd 30 man unit and/or double-whipping  one with WoK command ability; there isn't much they can do to stop them.

It is predictable, but a player will do everything to slow it down, so it opens opportunities for other units.

5 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

FMB

Which is why since GH2017 I can only recommend multiple 30x Bloodletter blocks. Offcourse this is always at your own choice. But as discussed before it's the current thing that keeps Khorne competitively afloat. Which sounds a bit harsh but in the grand scheme of Order, Chaos, Destruction and new Death it's very much the case. By comparison we can generate tons and tons of MW but this is working under the assumption that the Bloodthirster and Bloodsecrator are alive... And well... That scenario is as realistic as the army you are facing.

The one advantage we still have however is that Nurgle is not immume to Morale so thaking out sufficient models does hurt them. In addition multiple spell casting denyers should be around for our army anyway and yes, that particular spell is one that is a priority spell when it's about to unbind which spell.

From my perspective, with a WoKBT in mind the Glottkin is actually much easier to deal with as the regular GUO, so when you see a place for the BT to land, go for it. The GUO on the other hand is much more capable to be surrounded by a swarm and still be effective. Whilst dishing out more spells because points not spend on the Glottkin can go to other Heroes + GUO.

2 hours ago, jazman84 said:

Once you start getting a 2nd 30 man unit and/or double-whipping  one with WoK command ability; there isn't much they can do to stop them.

It is predictable, but a player will do everything to slow it down, so it opens opportunities for other units.

Can only agree. Predictability isn't an issue when the eggs are in multiple baskets.

Hello from Russia, Guys.
I have a question, because it's hard to understand without being a native speaker.

In matched play.

SLAUGHTERPRIEST can have  BLOOD BLESSINGS.
Can I use his BLOOD BLESSINGS and his Bloodfuelled Prayers on the same turn ?

23 hours ago, kozokus said:

Hope that helps.

Spare bloodthirster head?

2 hours ago, Disk174 said:

Can I use his BLOOD BLESSINGS and his Bloodfuelled Prayers on the same turn ?

Yes.

You can pick one of the Bloodfueled Prayers (Slaughterpriest use Blood Boil and Bloodbind) and then you can pick one of the Blood Blessings to use (Slaughterpriests knows 1, you choose beforehand).

Do note that the Blood Blessings are only available to the Khorne Allegiance.

17 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

So, been looking through the new Nurgle book, and there's loads of filth.  Key bit is a spell that, on a 7+, gives any friendly unit the ability to cause a MW on a 6 to hit, in addition to normal damage, i.e., it turns anything into Bloodletters.

40 Plague monks are 240 points, have 2 attacks, and can reroll misses if armed with 2 weapons.  Any thoughts on how we're dealing with this?

FMB

+ factor in (either the furness or a priest thing) that makes them pile in and attack a second time after you've killed them. 

You need something to dispel.

SP to pull them out of position

My default answer for most things these days is khorgoraths! Hit them hard with everything in a single turn and hope battleshock does the rest.M

MSU and try and pin them somewhere by attacking with a single model on each side / throw away one unit into them per turn w/ 3 blood tithe points

@Killax

12 hours ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

FMB

It's always been important. Now it's just more relevant when facing off against nurgle.

Rotigus's spell is the one to watch out for though. If there isn't any LOS blocking terrain and hes placed near arcane scenery your support characters may be in for some trouble.

On 05/02/2018 at 5:23 PM, Killax said:

Unfortunatly Blades of Khorne is a bit limited in choice while looking at flavour. The Slaughterbrute doesnt make me happy either. Multiple Khorgoraths do though, so theres at least that.

Was actually considering one a while ago, but came to the same conclusion.. Spent the money on my first bloodthirster instead. 

7 minutes ago, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Was actually considering one a while ago, but came to the same conclusion.. Spent the money on my first bloodthirster instead. 

Yeah it's a bit sad. But then again it is a great excuse Warshrine in my opinion which still is great if people want to field Bloodreavers.
I guess that if it wasn't for the additional 30 Bloodletters I have left to do I'd look more into 40 Bloodreavers. It's just such a massive unit to put on the table that it's something I've posponed until my AoS start. Having said that though I do like the Bloodreavers look a lot and want an excuse to field the wonderful Garrek model as a leader for them. 

I do still wonder though what GH2018 will mean to them and a lot of other Monsters. In that same vein using a Slaughterbrute as a Jabberslythe proxy can end up amazing. It can be confusing to do though :( 

On 05/02/2018 at 2:41 PM, TheAdequateWargamer said:

Has anyone used a Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage? 

If so, how did it go?

How you use him for in your games? Throw him into units or heros or a distraction piece etc

What did you give him in terms of artifacts/command traits?

Is there a way to get +1 to the wound rolls to make his axe explode on anything better than 6's?

Cheers to everyone that replied.

@Patapoef I'm liking the council of blood idea. Basically I don't need one more BT, I need two!

Looking at council of blood warscroll has me thinking: can you burn 3 blood tithe points to charge a bloodthirster into combat at the start of the hero phase, then use the COB ability to fight a round of combat with that BT straight after. 

Only problem with 3 bloodthirster is going be that it's a complete step away from gorepilgrims + stoker. Hmm must mull over it further.

Thoughts on which artifacts/command traits anyone would take if it was a list with 1 wrath of khorne & 2 x insensate rage 2 stokers and 1 banner?

I think that if you want to go for a Mad Ball Special you can consider the following:
WoK BT + Bloodstoker + Skarbrand. It's a ton of points but having Skarbrand in there does mean pretty much one target unit is deleted.

The other, more commonly impressive option is WoK BT + Bloodstoker + Slaughterpriest + Bloodletters. The only thing we could do before and can't do now is use the Command Ability of the WoK BT twice with the Slaughterpriest generating X Blood Points as his Blood Blessing. What we can do though is at least give the Bloodletters Killing Frenzy for efficient MW output (4+ to hit for MW). 

I personally wouldn't go overboard with Bloodthirsters but that's largely because 30 Bloodletters work so well and have at least some form of body attrition. But otherwise, go wild! Skarbrand, WoKBT and IR in that Battalion is fun offcourse.

Archived