Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

Chanters of Change box - seems to be a double (40) box of Acolytes. Up on NZ website. Could be a Battalion?

Also PDFs for the new/renamed stuff.

There's also the Exalted Greater Daemon of Tzeentch (same Command Ability as Old/Current Lord of Change). Picked mine up today. Looking forward to points as promised.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you guys think, will the new warscrolls still allow mixed weapon units for Tzaangor and Acolytes? I have quite a few Silver Tower models and would prefer not having to buy new boxes. The warscrolls for Acolytes on the preorder page on the NZ GW webshop is the same one we already have, which does allow mixed models.

edit: just realized The warscroll is updated and does allow mixing :)

but damn now I want Glaives for all my Acolytes, can't get enough of that rend!

Few observations based on the updated warscrolls on NZ site:

- Acolytes have mixed weapons, so I imagine Tzaangors will too. That's good news! Means you should be able to get some use out of the Silver Tower models.

- The new Gaunt Summoner warscroll loses the familiars but is otherwise the same. Points cost reduction too?

- No splitting rule for Pink Horrors (yet).

- No changes to the Thaumaturge's spell. This is surprising, because it's useless in matched play at the moment: if you do 2 mortal wounds and want to create 2 horrors, you still have to pay the full 140 points as it is currently worded. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a clarification elsewhere in the book.

- Vilich is now formally a 'Curseling, Eye of Tzeentch' - a generic inquisitor-hero-thing.

- The Fatemaster is the old Lord on Disc, as suspected. I heavily suspect that the Magister will be the reworked Tzeentch Sorceror Lord. Little bit of a shame that they're not doing a new Lord on Disc model, as that thing is ~old~

14 minutes ago, Cordova said:

Interestingly, the Burning Chariot models are listed as discontinued on GW's store page (and the old Lord of Change models, but that's not unexpected given the new model)...

Chariot will probably get repackaged, no need for square and chariot base in the box now. Old LoC - say bye bye to this one.

1 hour ago, CJPT said:

I heavily suspect that the Magister will be the reworked Tzeentch Sorceror Lord.

Very good point. He appears in new art and would also round out the ten arcanite units in the book: Fatemaster, Magister, Curseling, Ogroid, Gaunt, Acolytes, Shaman, Tzaangors, Skyfires, Enlightened.

I suspect the Gaunt Summoner will still be 100pts even though he lost his familiars.

Just now, Phantajisto said:

I suspect the Gaunt Summoner will still be 100pts even though he lost his familiars.

He was 120pts before - I think a 20pt discount just to lose the +1 to cast from the familiars would be very fair. Balewind Vortex is his new best friend.

(It was his best friend before too, though, to be honest.)

Oops, my bad.

Anyone noticed the Acolyte pictures seem to contradict the rules/descriptions?

Rules:  A unit of Kairic Acolytes has 10 or more models. Each unit fights with a variety of weapons; some of the Acolytes are armed with a single Cursed Blade while others carry Paired Cursed Blades. Some instead carry a Cursed Blade and an Arcanite Shield. Three in every ten models in the unit can be armed with double-handed Cursed Glaives. All Kairic Acolytes can hurl Sorcerous Bolts.

Store Description: Each Acolyte is armed with either a cursed blade, a pair of cursed blades or a cursed blade and arcanite shield. 

Photos:  Some with blade and shield, some with paired blades and shields, some with glaives and shields, one with a glaive, a blade and a shield... 

Also looks like they gave the scroll and bird to the 'Adepts', which I guess fits because it makes them more magical to indicate their extra sorcerous bolt attack.

Sprues look like you can build two units of 10 with full upgrades on each. Could use silver tower minis to bulk both units to 20...

So, these guys without any battalion are best taken in units of 20 within range of a friendly wizard with dual hand weapons,  

Allowing a frontage of 6 glaive users hitting in a 3+ for  melee and 4+ range, with the others to soak up the wounds until the unit dies.

Screenshot_20170114-113820.png

Perhaps Archaon's command ability could take advantage of the fatemaster? Multiple rolls each turn to reroll should be allowed I think. Also the wording seems that after the first fatemaster rolls, if the other ones rolled that number they could reroll it! If you take 3 and best case scenario get to reroll all 1s,2s and 3s... to hit, to wound, armor save, charges, archaons D6 damage..

140pt for the acolytes and 180 for the tzaangors, can that be correct? My guess was maybe 60pt less for both of them. But maybe I have missed something and then we havent seen the formations.

Edit: Well the tzaangors have been updated so they are much stronger than before so maybe 180pt for them is ok. But are acolytes so much better than Blood Reavers?

16 minutes ago, Alexxk said:

Alcolytes have a shooting and melee attack. So it seems legit.

Tzaangors have 2 Wounds each, quite a lot of rending or multiple attacks so quite compareable to liberators (but come in 10, it differs from their warscroll).

Compare Tzaangors to Bestigors for 140pt it's easier. Before the update they where IMO weaker but after 180pt might be ok.

But acolytes... well they do shoot... but if i havnt missed something I would think they are worse than for example arrowboys for 100pt. Or just regular freeguild shooting units for 100pt if we ignore arrowboys who might not be priced correctly.

But it's all about synergies so it could be something that I havnt seen.

• Kairos Scroll nerfed regarding Oracle of Eternity - hopefully this will mean that Lords of the Lodge is no longer being nerfed! This is an indirect buff to Fyreslayers.
  • Kairos spell ostensibly nerfed - seems odd, but this makes sense given the video on Thursday (with Simon Grant) which suggests that you can use Destiny Dice to change the number of mortal wounds that a spell does (as if it were a Damage Roll, like a cannon ball).
  • LoC has a ranged attack now.
  • Both LoC and Kairos up to 14 wounds, but still 4+ saves.
  • Points costs of LoC and Kairos up slightly.
  • Same Command Ability for LoC.
  • Tzaangors look solid - inherent Battleline! Up to 30, extra attacks as unit scales up (27-30 models would have +3 attacks). Tzaangors are also "Gor" but not Brayherd, so probably not interesting for regular Beastmen.

7 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Acolities look Solid for their points. Casual unit of 20 here an there, keep your 1s and 2s for battleshock rolls.

Well everything is relative. A unit of 20 here and there for 280 pt or a lord of change here and there for 300 pt.... (or maybe 30 arrowboys.) ?

Archived