Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

I thought I remembered it in an FAQ but can't find it. 

However "Allegiance Abilities" is a blanket term to cover Battle Traits, Command Traits, Artefacts and Spells and the rules state you must choose which set of "allegiance abilities" you want to use. So if you pick one you can't gain access to anything from that other set. It's and either/or situation.

IMG_4800.PNG

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone got a strong opinion on the configuration of the LoC? I've been trying the rod as it seems foolish to charge him into combat, but it's been a bit lacklustre (especially considering you can't get rend on the weapon from gifts as I initially thought). The rend 3 sword is very tempting though, and he's pretty survivable with -1 to hit and maybe some rerollable to save. But it's not a lot of attacks.

52 minutes ago, FunkyPunk said:

Has anyone got a strong opinion on the configuration of the LoC? I've been trying the rod as it seems foolish to charge him into combat, but it's been a bit lacklustre (especially considering you can't get rend on the weapon from gifts as I initially thought). The rend 3 sword is very tempting though, and he's pretty survivable with -1 to hit and maybe some rerollable to save. But it's not a lot of attacks.

My favourite build was : Sword +Bolt of Change + Supremacy (or spark if no spell)  + Ichor

That Ichor ended up dealing 13 mortal wounds. Yeah i was'n very conservative with him.

1 hour ago, FunkyPunk said:

Baleful Sword all the way. It benefits heavily from Arcane Transformation (which at least one of your Pink Horror squads should roll with). You can only use it once per LoC, but that extra attack goes a long with with such a powerful weapon profile.

As for charging- I wouldn't dedicate him against any true melee unit (horde of Bloodletters, 10 Paladins, etc), but he is a 14 wound/4+ save monster. He's not going down easy!

On 3/3/2017 at 11:01 PM, AverageBoss said:

So question.

Do the Gaunt Summoner and Tzaangor Shaman each get two extra spells? They both have Arcanite and Daemon keywords.

Page 80 says each Arcanite and Mortal Wizard get an extra spell from the Lore of Fate. Page 82 says each Daemon Wizard gets an extra spell from the Lore of Change. Am I missing something that prevents both applying to a model that meets both conditions, such as the above two mentioned?

I just wanted to bump this question, as I didn't see it answered.  I had always assumed they would pick one of the two spell lores, but I am not sure if that actually is the case now.

Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Pete_P said:

Battalions do not confer the actual keyword to the units in it. For example Stormcast models in the mixed Sylvaneth battalion do not get the Sylvaneth keyword just the allegiance  

And the image I posted above specifically says that battalion warscrolls themselves have an allegiance and for your army to qualify for Tzeentch allegiance all starting warscrolls must have the Tzeentch allegiance. 

This has already be clarified. for the purposes of selecting alegences or allegiance abilities as long the battalion has the keyword, it's fine. OR as long as your units all have the keyword, it's fine. It can be one way or the other, it does not have to be both. 

2 hours ago, Pete_P said:

Clarified where?

FAQ. 

58bf10485ae2d_ScreenShot2017-03-07at11_51_31AM.png.1bb283a44783ffcae49b29fb787f452a.png58bf104a9d7cd_ScreenShot2017-03-07at11_51_38AM.png.ba469332c3b254c5cb637ed7e1385d5b.png

If the battalion has the keyword, the units are considered to have that keyword when it comes to picking which allegiance your army will use. It's doesn't actually confer the keyword to the unit, (so they can't use faction specific items or spells) but the units are considered  to have the same allegiance as the battalions keywords.

Likewise:

image1.JPG.b104639ba887eea61d9a9a72b22db90e.JPG.099c36dc2d9c4c79ef871d7b52e70a7c.JPG

A battalion can be "part of any allegiance that all it's units have on their war scroll."So if all the units in your army have the "TZNEETCH" allegiance, the the battalion that they are in is considered to have that allegiance too. 

This has been covered extensively in other threads. 

So before I get too excited are you saying I can run the fatesworn with my Mortal Tzeentch Army using the Tzeentch allegiance ability. (Assuming my units align to the unit requirements set under that battalion)

On a slightly new topic, is anyone else concerned about the number of ambiguous rules in this battletome? Here's a quick list of the ones that directly affect my ideal army:

1. How do Changehost swaps work? Can you cast spells between swaps? Can the same model be swapped multiple times?

2. How the hell is the Changeling actually deployed?

3. Can Fate Dice be used for mortal wounds? (I think this one is a little less ambiguous, but still has been debated)

4. How do you pay for partial units of Blue and Brimstone Horrors that are generated? Is the effect optional?

It makes it a risky list to bring to an event, because you never know how the TO is gonna rule. Does GW answer rules questions these days? I know they haven't for years, but their social media game has stepped up considerably recently.

As a result, I think I'll start testing a "good stuff" list, without many of the shenanigans mentioned above. On that note, has anyone had luck with the Tzaangor battalion? I was initially concerned with how viable the Enlightened are, but a quick mathhammer proved they can put out some pain in melee. I now think they may be even better than the Skyfires (which I feel are over-hyped).

In terms to point 3 the only spells I thought of using the fate dice for spells like arcane bolt and bolt of change as they can be seen as a damage roll as I can not find any ware damage rolls are exclusive to the combat and shooting phase. That said I thought I would play it safe and not use them for spell damage rolls like the examples above until I watched the interview on Warhammer tv with the guy who wrote the tzeentch battletome and when he was asked how to use the destiny dice his example was that someone could use 2 of them to cast bolt of change and another one for the damage roll. Since then I have been more comfortable in using them for these two spells.

4 minutes ago, Ratso said:

In terms to point 3 the only spells I thought of using the fate dice for spells like arcane bolt and bolt of change as they can be seen as a damage roll as I can not find any ware damage rolls are exclusive to the combat and shooting phase. That said I thought I would play it safe and not use them for spell damage rolls like the examples above until I watched the interview on Warhammer tv with the guy who wrote the tzeentch battletome and when he was asked how to use the destiny dice his example was that someone could use 2 of them to cast bolt of change and another one for the damage roll. Since then I have been more comfortable in using them for these two spells.

Ah, awesome. That's one cleared up!

Good list of FAQ points @RoloMcFury

Overall - it's similar to Sylvaneth - lots of room for friendly debate.

The mortal wounds Destiny Dice debate is one of the least significant - since on average you will have 1.5 sixes and 1.5 fives. If you're lucky you might be able to match the output of a Husktusk squadron (except that you don't have a maximum 34" effective range). The practice games with DoT at the South London Legion have been consistent with this (admittedly low sample size).

The Split rule and the Changeling/Changehost points are huge for Daemons. The Changeling has been used at events for a long time, so presumably the interpretation where he is incredibly easy to surround with chaff hasn't been applied....

Ones you haven't mentioned include:

Is Flamer a keyword (both times it appears in the text) in the Exalted Conflagration? The keyword has no other reason to exist on the 3 species of Flamer. The Battalion doesn't refer to the correct unit name and so surely means the keyword.

Is a summoned caster part of your army and hence entitled to a Lore Spell (this follows literally but will doubtless provoke controversy)?

I refuse to accept there being a genuine issue over whether doubling the range of a spell includes aoe spells (other than I don't like it therefore it's OP, therefore wield the nerf hammer). The argument that it only means the range of a unit to unit Spell is a completely artificial interpretation of the concept of range. This has been going on since Kroak and Astrolith Bearers in August 2015.

Enlightened aren't amazing, but are a bargain in an army where there aren't many so worth considering.

It would mean you always reroll as you reroll both fails and successful saves. The Lord on Daemonic Mount is the key example. He can be a great tank that way or a choppy hero with Phantasmal Weapons.

Archived