Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

1 hour ago, Maddok said:

Needing a wizard nearby to make their shooting near equal is another issue. So to be on the same level as a unit that is the same number of points they must use synergies. Bad look. From what I've heard, the battalions for acolytes are meh. One allows you to shoot in the hero phase, which is awesome...except for the fact their their shooting really isn't good. Its a "nice to have" few shots that can ping a wound off here and there, but nothing that makes a battalion like that powerful.

Bummer because I ordered a box. Guess I'll be returning them the moment they arrive!

They still qualify for other battalions that simply require Tzeentch Mortals, like the Fatesworn Warband.  This battalion would grant them a 6+ ward save and grant all of their attacks (including their ranged attack) a -1 Rend, which isn't too shabby.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

They still qualify for other battalions that simply require Tzeentch Mortals, like the Fatesworn Warband.  This battalion would grant them a 6+ ward save and grant all of their attacks (including their ranged attack) a -1 Rend, which isn't too shabby.

Yeah I was thinking Fatesworn Warband + Acolytes could be good. But sadly we need a FAQ on whether that lets you keep Tzeentch Allegiance!

I'm so spoiled for choice here now ... I know I want more Tzaangors, and a Lord of Change and I'd love to mix in some mortals. Already have Silver Tower, so that's good.

2 hours ago, Maddok said:

Its a shame destiny dice can't be used for spell effects. Tzeentch's firestorm, where you roll 9 dice and each 6 causes d3 mortal wounds could be devastating if you have 2-3 destiny 6's and you roll 2 or 3.

Still very nice that they get more spells

Agreed.
Question for me now is:  Do d3/d6 mortal wounds count as "damage roll" for destiny dice?

Also, do we know if the Herald of Tz on Burning Chariot has the new Tz's Firestorm?

I feel the fatemaster is going to be a key lord to use with mortal tzeentch,  the ability to reroll any dice roll which matches his made by a mortal tzeentch will really push the use of the fate dice and allow stronger spell casting for stuff such as tzeentches firestorm.

Any dice rolls which inflict damage count as damage rolls 

15 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

I feel the fatemaster is going to be a key lord to use with mortal tzeentch,  the ability to reroll any dice roll which matches his made by a mortal tzeentch will really push the use of the fate dice and allow stronger spell casting for stuff such as tzeentches firestorm.

So the answer is yes? Sorry, I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 2 year hiatus.

17 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

I have the book now and I don't think anything in Tz Mortals has Tz firestorm.

14 minutes ago, Andreas said:

For someone not having a book yet. How does the arcanite cabal formation work (and cost)? :)

3-9 units, chosen from Fatemaster, Magister, Tzaangor shaman. Designate one of the characters as the cult leader, whilst he's alive, whenever you use a destiny dice, roll D6, on a 4+, roll another dice and add to your destiny pool.

If a wizard is within 9" of at elast 2 others from the formation, they can cast an extra spell.

Its 50 pts.

Quite a nice little batallion tbh, its used in all 3 of the arcanite big formations.

So, here's my preliminary list for 2k:

20 Tzaangor - 360

6 Skyfires - 320

3 Enlightened - 160
Tzaangor Coven - 40

10 Pink Horrors - 140
10 Pink Horrors - 140
20 Blue Horrors - 100
10 Brimstone Horrors - 40

Lord of Change - 300
Gaunt Summoner and Familiars - 120
Tzaangor Shaman - 120
Ogroid Thaumaturge - 160

The Tzaangor Coven is quite nice; if the Tzaangors are within 9" of either the skyfires or enlightened at the start of the hero phase they can pile in and attack. If they are within 9" of both they get +1 to wound. Also all beak attacks in the battalion wound on a 4+ instead of a 5+.

looking at the Acolytes, you can get similar shooting and movement, same save and much better bravery from a 40 point unit of blue horrors. With that in mind, I've added the second unit of Pink Horrors for the battleline tax. Ideally I'd try to get casualties on the blue and brimstone horrrors so I could split in matched play. Really looking forward to this becoming an actual army. I've not even looked at the artefacts etc yet!

26 minutes ago, Shadowheart said:

3-9 units, chosen from Fatemaster, Magister, Tzaangor shaman. Designate one of the characters as the cult leader, whilst he's alive, whenever you use a destiny dice, roll D6, on a 4+, roll another dice and add to your destiny pool.

If a wizard is within 9" of at elast 2 others from the formation, they can cast an extra spell.

Its 50 pts.

Quite a nice little batallion tbh, its used in all 3 of the arcanite big formations.

Oh baby this is my jam.  Sounds like we're getting list building mechanics similar to 40k, too. 

2 minutes ago, olkhean said:

And for the Changeling ? Is there new rules, or not ?

Changeling is the same, just a cool new model.

12 minutes ago, James Ramsay said:

Would anyone lucky enough with the book be able to help those poor saps still waiting with what the big formations do for the arcanites? Arcanite cult, Cult of Transient Form and Pyrofane cult?

Transient Form: every time an acolyte dies, on a 6 becomes a Tzaangor. Add to an existing unit within 6" or create a new unit. Heros that die, on a 6 become a spawn.

Pyrofane Cult: +1 to wound from sorcerous bolts of targeting an enemy unit already hit by sorcerous bolt. All wizards in the cult know another spell. Casting 7, unit within 18" takes d3 mortal wounds and each enemy within 3" of the target takes d3 mortal wounds on a 4+.

18 minutes ago, James Ramsay said:

Would anyone lucky enough with the book be able to help those poor saps still waiting with what the big formations do for the arcanites? Arcanite cult, Cult of Transient Form and Pyrofane cult?

Arcanite Cult:

1 Arcanite Cabal

3-9 of any of the following: Alter-Kin coven, Skyshoal Coven, Tzaangor Coven, Wythchfire Coven.

Can also include 0-1 each of Curseling, Gaunt Summoner, Ogroid.

You can choose the results for 3 of yourt 9 destiny dice at the start of the game.

Everything in the batallion has +1 bravery.

60pts

Probably only usable at 2k points and above.

11 hours ago, HERO said:

How do we feel about 9x Tzaangor Skyfires with a Tzaangor Shaman riding on the disc?

-16" move and 24" range gives them 40" threat
-9 shots, hitting on 3s (with Shaman nearby), wounding on 3s, -1 rend and d3 wounds.  Hits of 6 turn into d3 mortal wounds
-Chaos Sorc synergy can make them re-roll 1s for hits and wounds
-4W each gives the unit 36 wounds with 5+ save, but can be made 4+/re-roll 1s with the right buffs (Arcane Shield + Chaos Sorc)

Same points as Gaunt Summoner + 3x Burning Chariots FYI

I did the mathhammer on Skiyfires. It seems that having more units is better beecause of more leaders! But only by a little bit! I'm kinda tired right now, dont want to do the hammer on the chaos sorc lord spell....

Skyfires.PNG

Whats not in the pictures is the increase due to rerolls for the group: 36% on normal damage, 17% on mortal wounds!

Edit: I screwed up, only one unit can have the buff!

The Numbers for 1 Unit buffed 2 unbuffed:

5,23dmg + 6,33mortal (with shaman)

Skyfire Rerolls.PNG

Skyfire Shaman+rerolls.PNG

Just want to drop a few bombshells I found:
> Kairos knows a billion spells, including mortal and daemon spells now that most units can pick from the trees.
> Fold Reality brings back models via rez; so immediately Burning Chariots come to mind:  In a full unit of 3, on a 2+ you bring back 12W worth of models.
> The battle chicken (Lord of Change) can actually become really good; take Phantasmal Weapons for +1 Rend on all his attacks, and the command trait Incorporeal Form to make him -1 to hit in CC.  Sprinkle other good stuff in there like re-roll hits and wounds, re-roll 1s, +1 hit, and all the other magical goodness.
> Kairos knows all spells, so he can take Treacherous Bond a unit of 3x Burning Chariots for example.  He can then Fold Reality them back:  Enjoy the 17 extra wounds.

Archived