Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

7 minutes ago, Changer said:

All of the updated rules are in the app.  I don't see the Changeling rules bring changed at all.  I'm picking up my book later today so I'll check in there.

My book will still be a while (the joys of living in Africa). Please share the details.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much right)

Alter-kin coven consists of 1 unit of Kairic Acolytes, 1 unit of Tzaangors, 1 unit of Tzaangor Skyfires, special rule - Boon of mutation: "In each of your hero phases, roll a dice for each enemy unit" that is within 3" of a nit from an Alter-kin coven. On a roll of 6, the unit being rolled for suffers d3 mortal wounds. If any models are slain in this manner, they are blessed with mutations and transmogrified into Tzaangor, If there is already a friendly Tzaangor unit within 6' of the slain models unit, add the Tzaangor to that unit, otherwise set it up as a new unit within 6" of the slain model's unit"

Tzaangor coven rules are not revealed yet)

Just now, Soulsmith said:

Alter-kin coven sounds like it will be useless for matched play if we need the points aside for the possible tzaangors appearing.

I don't know.  I'd pay 20 points for the chance to replenish my Tzaangor unit if it has already taken hits.  Are you allowed to cause the mortal wounds and not setup more Tzaangors (if you're out of range / at full strength)?  If so, again, I think I'd pay 20 points for the ability to cause mortal wounds and the extra artefact a battalion would bring. 

Just now, Changer said:

I don't know.  I'd pay 20 points for the chance to replenish my Tzaangor unit if it has already taken hits.  Are you allowed to cause the mortal wounds and not setup more Tzaangors (if you're out of range / at full strength)?  If so, again, I think I'd pay 20 points for the ability to cause mortal wounds and the extra artefact a battalion would bring. 

Yeah true, depends on the other battalion's really, and whether it is a better choice for those units.

Can anyone make a case for taking acolytes? They seem entirely inferior to horrors. Worse save, worse shooting, worse bravery, no casting, moderately better close combat, same points. When I first thought their rules I thought 80-100 points for 10 would be where they'd land. 140 seems insane. 

Am I missing something big here?

11 minutes ago, Maddok said:

Can anyone make a case for taking acolytes? They seem entirely inferior to horrors. Worse save, worse shooting, worse bravery, no casting, moderately better close combat, same points. When I first thought their rules I thought 80-100 points for 10 would be where they'd land. 140 seems insane. 

Am I missing something big here?

100% agree, they're just not close to worth 140 points. Bad shooting, bad save, bad in combat... I can't see a role for them

12 minutes ago, Malin said:

May I add to this the fact that you must assemble them with the shields, as there is not sufficient left hands with weapons in the box to built 2 hand weapons option... Serious step back GW did with this set.

I wouldn't say so. As with the tzaangors it seems optimal build is to have an amount of your unit with shields taking the wounds at the back out of combat, then have your dual and great weapon guys at the front doing the damage. 

Best of both worlds. 

Acolytes are MUCH better than Horrors in combat - aside from the fact that they don't run away, Horrors really are terrible. And their shooting is comparable as long as there's a wizard nearby (and it's better if you take the battalion that lets them shoot twice.) I do agree that they're a bit underwhelming overall.

Horrors do get Arcane Bolt, though (but only once.)

Just now, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

I wouldn't say so. As with the tzaangors it seems optimal build is to have an amount of your unit with shields taking the wounds at the back out of combat, then have your dual and great weapon guys at the front doing the damage. 

Best of both worlds. 

then this front will be limited to 3 models with two weapons at best, will have the exact number in few hours.

Anyway this unit is far from being overpowered. Only valid option is taking the battalion allowing them to shoot in Hero phase, otherwise it is really expensive not even glass cannon. Was building list yesterday and took 10 of them to fill in Battleline tax, as I was missing 40 point to take another 10 Tzaangors.

2 hours ago, Andreas said:

And the rules? ?

I have read that alterkin change the enemy to tzaangors and tzaangors coven adds extra attacks and maybe plus one to wound? 

Tzaangor Coven: 1 unit of Tzaangor, 1Unit of Skyfires, 1 Unit of Enlightened. Beak attacks hit on 4's. If the tzaangors are with 9" of either of other units in the formation in the hero phase, the Tzaangor can fight as if it were the combat phase. If they're within range of both, tzaangor are +1 to wound if they attack in the hero phase.

4 minutes ago, CJPT said:

Acolytes are MUCH better than Horrors in combat - aside from the fact that they don't run away, Horrors really are terrible. And their shooting is comparable as long as there's a wizard nearby (and it's better if you take the battalion that lets them shoot twice.) I do agree that they're a bit underwhelming overall.

Horrors do get Arcane Bolt, though (but only once.)

Horrors also have access to any spells from the lord of change now :)

Needing a wizard nearby to make their shooting near equal is another issue. So to be on the same level as a unit that is the same number of points they must use synergies. Bad look. From what I've heard, the battalions for acolytes are meh. One allows you to shoot in the hero phase, which is awesome...except for the fact their their shooting really isn't good. Its a "nice to have" few shots that can ping a wound off here and there, but nothing that makes a battalion like that powerful.

Bummer because I ordered a box. Guess I'll be returning them the moment they arrive!

Its a shame destiny dice can't be used for spell effects. Tzeentch's firestorm, where you roll 9 dice and each 6 causes d3 mortal wounds could be devastating if you have 2-3 destiny 6's and you roll 2 or 3.

Still very nice that they get more spells

Getting the book at the same time, will see. I like the models, but Im a competitive player so I doubt I'll have any use for them. I want to get my tzeentch up and running asap, and I already have 20 warriors, 10 knights, 18 flamers, and 6 exalted flamers ready to add in. So basically I just need the most efficient new stuff to allow me to start using my existing force

Archived