Let's chat Disciples of Tzeentch

Nico

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, watcherking said:

Perhaps they are treated as Savage Greatblades, too?  

Seems to be the case. Two handed swords, axes and maces seem to be the same thing. I like that, as it leaves it open on how you'd like to model the weapon.

20 hours ago, Nico said:

I'm seeing Tzaangor as being a solid two wound above average chaff unit - not a big hitting unit

I think it depends how you run them. If you have 30 and lets assume that only the 12 Tzaangors with Greatblades can fight its still 48 attacks hitting on 4+, wounding on 3+ (close to hero), rend -1, and damage 2. Against 4+ save that is 21 wounds. After you have taken 8+ wounds the output is still 16 wounds against 4+ save.

30 Tzaangors is a 540pt unit so it's a big investment and I havnt done the calculations but I would think they would match up ok against similar deathstars for example the 15 Brutes deathstar.

I think it depends how you run them. If you have 30 and lets assume that only the 12 Tzaangors with Greatblades can fight its still 48 attacks hitting on 4+, wounding on 3+ (close to hero), rend -1, and damage 2. Against 4+ save that is 21 wounds. After you have lost taken 8+ wounds the output is still 16 wounds against 4+ save.

30 Tzaangors is a 540pt unit so it's a big investment and I havnt done the calculations but I would think they would match up ok against similar deathstars for example the 15 Brutes deathstar.

Interesting. You could get 6 Stormfiends for 600 points or indeed 15 Brutes for 540 as you say. The concentration of damage is a challenge (getting the Greatblades into combat on a board with terrain with fairly chunky bases and 1" range. They would hate fighting Dryads (-1 to hit them so one third of the damage output gone and they haveb a 2" range) or other Sylvaneth in a Wyldwood for example. 

Daemonic Power on a Tzeentch Chaos Sorceror Lord is likely to be ubiquitous in DoT armies.

On January 16, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Nico said:

Hopefully we can deal with one issue quickly. The Tzaangor Icon Bearer rule allows for a certain amount of Mortal Wound spam on the basis of the number of Wizards within 9". My view is that the purposive interpretation of this rule is that a unit of 1 Lord of Change = one wizard; and one unit of 10 Pink Horrors = one wizard - not 10 wizards (not least because the alternative view that it equals 10 Wizards would be an absurd interpretation). We don't need another Brotherhood of the Great Bolts with a single unit of 10 Tzaangor next to 30 Pink Horrors spitting out 15 mortal wounds (as opposed to 0.5 mortal wounds).

Too bad the Fatesword Warband doesn't make all of its units Wizards (instead of just letting them cast Arcane Bolt).  Things could have gotten really interesting, really quickly ;-)

On 1/14/2017 at 5:43 PM, Nico said:

I've been thinking about Fatesworn and the problem is that it's stamped Everchosen, which means that it breaks Tzeentch Allegiance - so no (Destiny) dice! Bit of a shame.

You should always be able to choose your allegiance if multiple options are available.  Since allegiance is dictated by the keywords on units (and not battalions), you should be able to use this battalion and still choose Tzeentch allegiance.

4 hours ago, Nevvermore said:

Yeah I can't imagine building any CHaos army without the Chaos Sorcerer Lord.

Me neither.  Took a look at the dude for a second and automatically thought staple.

What does everyone think about those Ogrin heroes?

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

Battalions from the everchosen

Sounds good, I just started getting back into the hobby after a long break.

What other cool synergies are there that's in Chaos?  The chaos sorc lord is the only one I know.

5 hours ago, Requizen said:

Any word on Allegiance-specific Battleline? I was interested in making an all-disc army if possible, so it would be neat if you could make Skyfires or Enlightened into Battleline with a Shaman general.

I thought I saw it posted somewhere that Burning Chariots became battleline for Tzeentch Demon allegience.

7 hours ago, Arkiham said:

I haven't taken a chaos sorcerer for a while, 140 points sometimes doesn't fit in.

I'd rather have -1 to hit or -1 rend army wide than one dude 

Just kit bash one mounted on a Chaos Steed (same spell/abilities, better movement). He's only 120 points in the Compendium Scrolls ;-)

(True story)

You should always be able to choose your allegiance if multiple options are available.  Since allegiance is dictated by the keywords on units (and not battalions), you should be able to use this battalion and still choose Tzeentch allegiance.

Please double check the GH and the FAQ on this point - I'm 75% sure that the Battalions also need to have the right Allegiance.  I think it's the box on page 157 of the GH - the first paragraph suggests that the Battalion allegiances matter! It could be clearer. It's also fairly clear that the Battalion doesn't need to say Order on it for you to have Order allegiance....  

This is a different point from the FAQ which allows all units in a Battalion to inherit the allegiance keywords of the Battalion - for Allegiance purposes (only) - the Guardians of Alarielle point.

6 hours ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Just kit bash one mounted on a Chaos Steed (same spell/abilities, better movement). He's only 120 points in the Compendium Scrolls ;-)

(True story)

I have one, manticore sorcerer lord on a chaos knight. Works well

4 hours ago, Nico said:

Please double check the GH and the FAQ on this point - I'm 75% sure that the Battalions also need to have the right Allegiance.  I think it's the box on page 157 of the GH - the first paragraph suggests that the Battalion allegiances matter! It could be clearer. It's also fairly clear that the Battalion doesn't need to say Order on it for you to have Order allegiance....  

This is a different point from the FAQ which allows all units in a Battalion to inherit the allegiance keywords of the Battalion - for Allegiance purposes (only) - the Guardians of Alarielle point.

I see your concern reflected in this line: "When picking your army’s allegiance abilities, all units in a warscroll battalion are considered to have the allegiance listed above the title on the war scroll."

But then it goes on to say: "An army otherwise made up of Sylvaneth units which included this battalion could choose the Sylvaneth or Order allegiance abilities," (emphasis mine).  This clearly seems to state that allegiance is granted for units in a battalion based on the subfaction subtitle, but it isn't exclusive.  As in, it adds the option but does not rule out other options.  

This is on bottom of 1/top of 2 in the General's Handbook errata.  Am I missing something?  

10 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

I mat trot out the shrine with my tzaangors.  Mystic shield, plus rerolls, and shield gives them a 4+, 6++, 6++.

That comes to an effective 2+ save before rend.

Warshrine only works on Mortal units, which Tzaangors aren't sadly :(

(the re-roll saves of 1 does work, but a Tzeentch marked chaolls sorcerer can do that).

This was one of the first things I thought of as well :) 

Archived