First Tournament - Prepare me!

Mohojoe

Evening fellow Dons of Destruction, Harlots of Havok, and Grots of Generally Poor Hygiene. 

The time has come for me to prepare myself for tournament play , my first one being in March, leaving me roughly 3 months to get game ready. 

Currently I need to:

• Finish assembling, painting and basing my army
  • Play against more than just my usual opponent for a bit of variety
  • Work out how to transport said army
  • Learn tips and tricks
  • Examine what to expect from a tournament

Without further ado this is the current list:

Leaders
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Tyrant (160)
- General
- Massive Ogre Club
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection

Units
Orruk Brutes x 10 (360)
Orruk Ardboys x 20 (360)
Ogors x 3 (120)
Ogors x 3 (120)
Ogors x 3 (120)
Leadbelchers x 6 (320)

Behemoths

War Machines

Battalions

Scenery

Total: 1920/2000

This is based purely on what I currently own, I am aware its not super competitive, I have tried to obtain a bit of a mix of units however to have at least a functioning army.

What can I do to improve my list?

What will be my hardest match ups?

Any Tournament etiquette I need to be aware of?

Any useful tricks or tips for me?

Cheers Warlords n Wenches! 

Not much to work with, there. I would suggest doubling the size of the ogor units to 6.  Remove the Ardboyz, they provide the same function. What's the point of the spider? Not familiar with the model. Strongly suggest tossing in a stonehorn and thundertusk,rather than spider/ledbelchers or even Brutes. 

2 hours ago, foolsama said:

Not much to work with, there. I would suggest doubling the size of the ogor units to 6.  Remove the Ardboyz, they provide the same function. What's the point of the spider? Not familiar with the model. Strongly suggest tossing in a stonehorn and thundertusk,rather than spider/ledbelchers or even Brutes. 

The spider was a pressie from the other half :) Its literally just models I have at the minute. 

Im thinking of dropping out the ironjawz and going pure ogres with it. Something more along the lines of this:

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)

Units
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 6 (240)
Mournfang Pack x 4 (400)

Perhaps adding in a separate tarpit battle line to prevent charges, maybe some moonclan grots or something?

For tournament play you have to remember its all about the objectives. With that in mind I think more models and more units is better also of the times, with 6 units and 24 models I think you will put yourself at a disadvantage for at least 3/6 scenarios. Considering what you have I would try to fit the Ardboyz and 2 units of Brutes with huskard on thundertusk, 2 if you can and ironfist battalion. With this you can charge straight up and cover your melee with strong shooting while holding objectives and still maintaining a model count that can contest objectives

Tournament etiquette.

1) Shower the morning of the event.  Standing in place in a (hopefully) crowded room will cause you to perspire more than you will aware of.

2) Bring enough bottles of water to consume at least 1 during each game and 1 during lunch break.  For same reason as above.

3) Bring healthy and filling snacks, such as raw almonds.  The extra protein kick will help you throughout the day, and the fullness offered by tree nuts will help limit your intake should lunch prove to be absurdly unhealthy (as is often the way at events).

4) Don't touch anyone else's toys and if someone asks you to touch (i.e. "hand me those dead models") assume permission is one time only and don't touch again without additional permission.

5) Learn your opponents' names.  Use them often.  There's very little more annoying than playing someone for 2 hours only to end the game with your opponent looking you dead in the eye and saying "what was your name again?"

6) Every game is to start with a firm handshake and a genuine "good luck" and every game is to end with a firm handshake and a genuine "good game."

7) Bring pens.  In a 4 round event, I bring 5 pens.  One for myself to write on my scoresheet, and one for each opponent that day assuming they will need one, and they will probably wander off with mine.

8) Bring beer.  Bring enough to share.  And then share it.  No ****** water beer, but nothing so fancy that your opponents' eyes glass over if they need a 30 minute saga about the blind monks who brewed the beer to appreciate it (I recommend Curious Traveller or anything from their line... or Not Your Father's Root Beer if you want something sweeter).

This rule is only to be observed if you are old enough to drink in your area, your opponents are old enough to drink, and the shop you are going to is okay with you bringing in beer.

9) Have fun.

Enjoy.

8 hours ago, Criti said:

Tournament etiquette.

1) Shower the morning of the event.  Standing in place in a (hopefully) crowded room will cause you to perspire more than you will aware of.

2) Bring enough bottles of water to consume at least 1 during each game and 1 during lunch break.  For same reason as above.

3) Bring healthy and filling snacks, such as raw almonds.  The extra protein kick will help you throughout the day, and the fullness offered by tree nuts will help limit your intake should lunch prove to be absurdly unhealthy (as is often the way at events).

4) Don't touch anyone else's toys and if someone asks you to touch (i.e. "hand me those dead models") assume permission is one time only and don't touch again without additional permission.

5) Learn your opponents' names.  Use them often.  There's very little more annoying than playing someone for 2 hours only to end the game with your opponent looking you dead in the eye and saying "what was your name again?"

6) Every game is to start with a firm handshake and a genuine "good luck" and every game is to end with a firm handshake and a genuine "good game."

7) Bring pens.  In a 4 round event, I bring 5 pens.  One for myself to write on my scoresheet, and one for each opponent that day assuming they will need one, and they will probably wander off with mine.

8) Bring beer.  Bring enough to share.  And then share it.  No ****** water beer, but nothing so fancy that your opponents' eyes glass over if they need a 30 minute saga about the blind monks who brewed the beer to appreciate it (I recommend Curious Traveller or anything from their line... or Not Your Father's Root Beer if you want something sweeter).

This rule is only to be observed if you are old enough to drink in your area, your opponents are old enough to drink, and the shop you are going to is okay with you bringing in beer.

9) Have fun.

Enjoy.

Quoted for truth. Heed this advice and you won't go too far wrong. Rule 8 is obviously personal discretion/down to if you're driving or not/etc.

On 11/12/2016 at 10:54 PM, Mohojoe said:

The spider was a pressie from the other half :) Its literally just models I have at the minute. 

Im thinking of dropping out the ironjawz and going pure ogres with it. Something more along the lines of this:

Leaders

Units
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 6 (240)
Mournfang Pack x 4 (400)

Perhaps adding in a separate tarpit battle line to prevent charges, maybe some moonclan grots or something?

Having used a similar list at an event a few months ago, I would ditch the Mournfang and have another Frostlord! Make one your general and choose bellowing tyrant and give the other battle brew. You then have two models that will just delete units and still quite fighty after a few wounds! I would also be tempted to make one of the Ogor units 9 and the others 6 and 3 but I've not had chance to test that out. You can use the big unit with the Thundertusk to be offensive and support the Frost Lords (act a bit like a rear guard) and the other units sit on objectives. It's like you have two armies, one part made of Stonehorns which kill stuff and the rest which capture objectives ;) 

Bad Match ups are basically anything which can hit harder than you or gang up on you. Also need to be aware about the mission and play to that.

As for tips, @Criti has given a very good list of stuff to think about but a lot of it is not worry too much, have plenty of water and pens!

Where's the tournament?

On 12/11/2016 at 5:54 PM, Mohojoe said:

Leaders

Units
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 6 (240)
Mournfang Pack x 4 (400)

One of my local players uses a list like this:

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Butcher (140)
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogre Club

Units
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 9 (360)

Total: 1940/2000

He is undefeated.  Keep in mind, there's only one scenario (Take and Hold) that requires 5+ models to hold it. The others are all either 'more models than the enemy' or heroes. With this list, your actually aiming to table the opponent, so the 'more models' is irrelevant. A unit of 6 or 9 ogors is going to be very hard to delete, for the 'more models' issue, and the 4 heroes here is fine for Places of Power.  This list wins for two reasons: first, that Stonehorn *will* charge you it's fiirst turn, and delete anything but the tankiest of units, after the Thundertusk has softened someone up by 6 wounds. Second, the dilemna: who to kill first - because you'll have to focus your fire, make no mistake - and the units that aren't getting focused on will kill you.

Cheers @Criti That is a pretty all encompassing list! I have heard hygiene can be an issue haha!

Didn't even think about pens so thats a great idea.

4 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Having used a similar list at an event a few months ago, I would ditch the Mournfang and have another Frostlord! Make one your general and choose bellowing tyrant and give the other battle brew. You then have two models that will just delete units and still quite fighty after a few wounds! I would also be tempted to make one of the Ogor units 9 and the others 6 and 3 but I've not had chance to test that out. You can use the big unit with the Thundertusk to be offensive and support the Frost Lords (act a bit like a rear guard) and the other units sit on objectives. It's like you have two armies, one part made of Stonehorns which kill stuff and the rest which capture objectives ;) 

Bad Match ups are basically anything which can hit harder than you or gang up on you. Also need to be aware about the mission and play to that.

As for tips, @Criti has given a very good list of stuff to think about but a lot of it is not worry too much, have plenty of water and pens!

Where's the tournament?

That sounds quite fun actually Gaz, Why would you split the units like that just out of curiosity? 9 for objective holding I assume?

The event is Age of Titans at Athena Games in Norwich, March-ish. First event but its just down the road so its a nice bonus!

4 minutes ago, foolsama said:

One of my local players uses a list like this:

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Ravager
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Butcher (140)
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogre Club

Units
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 6 (240)
Ogors x 9 (360)

Total: 1940/2000

He is undefeated.  Keep in mind, there's only one scenario (Take and Hold) that requires 5+ models to hold it. The others are all either 'more models than the enemy' or heroes. With this list, your actually aiming to table the opponent, so the 'more models' is irrelevant. A unit of 6 or 9 ogors is going to be very hard to delete, for the 'more models' issue, and the 4 heroes here is fine for Places of Power.  This list wins for two reasons: first, that Stonehorn *will* charge you it's fiirst turn, and delete anything but the tankiest of units, after the Thundertusk has softened someone up by 6 wounds. Second, the dilemna: who to kill first - because you'll have to focus your fire, make no mistake - and the units that aren't getting focused on will kill you.

Cheers Foolsama, That does indeed look like a nasty list! 

Just to explore its weaknesses, how do you think you would beat an army like that?

Use bigger cheese!

For instance, he's now building an army based around Slaanesh Hellstriders, with their banners that cause -1 to hit - so, 3-5 of those banners nearby and your army isn't hitting anything!

Second, Skryre cheese. Mortal wounds that don't need hit rolls popping up behind his lines. 

There's also many iterations of Sayl-bombs that might work. Verminus, Bloodletters, Stormfiends, etc.

15 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

That sounds quite fun actually Gaz, Why would you split the units like that just out of curiosity? 9 for objective holding I assume?

The event is Age of Titans at Athena Games in Norwich, March-ish. First event but its just down the road so its a nice bonus!

I tried using three units of six and they are very good at holding against some units but struggle fighting to get something off an objective or if something a little bit fightier comes along and wants to kick them off an objective. Big unit of nine can fight and be scary but also act as a nice bodyguard for the Thundertusk. 

Event sounds cool but bit far for me to travel! :( 

15 hours ago, foolsama said:

Use bigger cheese!

For instance, he's now building an army based around Slaanesh Hellstriders, with their banners that cause -1 to hit - so, 3-5 of those banners nearby and your army isn't hitting anything!

Second, Skryre cheese. Mortal wounds that don't need hit rolls popping up behind his lines. 

There's also many iterations of Sayl-bombs that might work. Verminus, Bloodletters, Stormfiends, etc.

The wording on the rule is models 6" from a enrapturing banner so that would mean only ever one -1 to hit can apply 

process is my model 6" from a unit that contains any enrapturing banners (yes) therefore -1 to hit

the stacking can come from other sources in the host of slaanesh, but would be if your targeting a specific unit some times with a specific unit (hero) I.e herald of slaanesh on exhalted chariot

3 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I tried using three units of six and they are very good at holding against some units but struggle fighting to get something off an objective or if something a little bit fightier comes along and wants to kick them off an objective. Big unit of nine can fight and be scary but also act as a nice bodyguard for the Thundertusk. 

Event sounds cool but bit far for me to travel! :( 

Most events seem to be miles away from me!

Hopefully will be driving by the new year so should be able to attend a bit more on the circuit

15 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

Most events seem to be miles away from me!

Hopefully will be driving by the new year so should be able to attend a bit more on the circuit

U.K. Or U.S of A? If it's uk then you can always post up on the event thread where you are traveling from and potentially the helpful chaps that scene here is might be able to accommodate. 

1 hour ago, Sangfroid said:

U.K. Or U.S of A? If it's uk then you can always post up on the event thread where you are traveling from and potentially the helpful chaps that scene here is might be able to accommodate. 

He said the event was in Norwich, so presuming UK.

Ah Norwich, I do miss that city. Had a great time at uni there.

Yeah UK Norwich, In fairness, before I go proclaiming that there is no competitive scene around here, I haven't made a huge effort to go out and find stuff. Hoping that will change after I start driving (Second test on the 23rd! 26 now, figure its about time I drive...) and can meet more local players. I currently only really know my brother and his friend locally so my gaming circle is more of a triangle. That is part of what makes forums and Warhammer TV so brilliant, I can share my enthusiasm with other people!

Anyway I digress, I really like the sound of that list @Gaz Taylor, think I am going to give it a go. How did you find the lack of unbinding and not a huge amount of shooting? Also any tips for scenarios in relation to using that army?

4 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

Anyway I digress, I really like the sound of that list @Gaz Taylor, think I am going to give it a go. How did you find the lack of unbinding and not a huge amount of shooting? Also any tips for scenarios in relation to using that army?

Wasn't an issue to be honest. Is this the top tier list? No but it is a load of fun to use. Basically with the two Frostlords, you don't care about shooting or unbinding as they just go and kill stuff and the Thundertush uses it's snowball attack to remove wizards or messup shooting units.

Only tips I can offer is push the scary big stonecows at things but be mindful about being too aggressive with them. I found it was too easy to get carried away and they would get surrounded and eventually killed.

1 minute ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Wasn't an issue to be honest. Is this the top tier list? No but it is a load of fun to use. Basically with the two Frostlords, you don't care about shooting or unbinding as they just go and kill stuff and the Thundertush uses it's snowball attack to remove wizards or messup shooting units.

Only tips I can offer is push the scary big stonecows at things but be mindful about being too aggressive with them. I found it was too easy to get carried away and they would get surrounded and eventually killed.

To be honest I was sold on being able to build, paint and field three of those kits, they are really fun to mess about with haha.

Now just to settle on a theme for the army, not convinced on the whole ice stuff, fancy something a bit different. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 9:34 AM, BelgianBeerBear said:

As far as transport goes I just glued magnets on the base and used a rusted piece of scrap metal since I liked the look. 

It'll look especially good when combined with the tetanus you'll get from it if you aren't careful.  ?

On 12/14/2016 at 10:48 PM, Mohojoe said:

Now just to settle on a theme for the army, not convinced on the whole ice stuff, fancy something a bit different. 

Don't know the rules or models by heart but i've always fancied converting the Yetees to 'flame' Yetees. Maybe you could do so with the whole army? Flames are relatively easy to sculpt and gives you some amazing modeling opportunitees.

Archived