Morghast harbingers

Tizianolol

What do you think about this unit? I think it's pretty underrated..just because people say that archai is better..but I find them very useful if you summon them..just 7+ (less with modificators) and 3d6 charge. They can easy charge the same turn you have summoned!!!:)

18 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

What do you think about this unit? I think it's pretty underrated..just because people say that archai is better..but I find them very useful if you summon them..just 7+ (less with modificators) and 3d6 charge. They can easy charge the same turn you have summoned!!!:)

I love the model, more then the archai to be honest, but I feel that they lack the killing power needed for such an expensive unit.

Also by design I'd say the morghasts role is to buff summoning. Unfortunately summoning isn't too great in matched play so that extra ability that is in their points cost doesn't really show. 

Ive had thoughts of fielding a unit of 4 Morghasts with Manfred. This allows them to reroll misses of 1 and wounds of 1, making them far more reliable and Killy.

Not keen on them personally. I have two, and feel like they've never been worth it, wish I'd gone Archai instead.

Charge straight from summon has some potential, but you're investing a lot to make it happen — a wizard who can't another spell that turn, and who has a roughly 1 in 3 chance of failing the cast, or you could use up your artefact getting it automatically, either way you then have a roughly 1 in 4 chance of failing the charge roll anyway, probably multiple summoners so that you have a backup if one gets sniped before your first turn.

And ultimately, for what? You maybe get into combat a turn sooner, without getting shot at on the way over, which is handy against guniines, but there's plenty of other really fast stuff that can be into combat turn 1 or 2 available to you anyway. You can't stop your opponent sticking a line of combat troops in front of their archers to block your charge, Morghasts aren't much good at grabbing objectives, ultimately you're just going to be stuck in a combat grind, with little support unless the rest of your army is very fast moving.

They don't hit very hard for their points, nor are they durable. They don't have any spectacular synergy or special rules. At least Archai bring decent rend to the table, which DEATH as a whole is pretty lacking.

it's correct,But i wanna test them in my list: I posted that in this forum, I play with mortis engine,corpse cart and one unit of archai..so my death wizards got +3 to summon ( I summon harbingers with 4+/5+ ,depends if all units are near the caster) so it's pretty easy summon..immagine summon them in turn 4..they Can change the fight if they got a charge!:)

11 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

it's correct,But i wanna test them in my list: I posted that in this forum, I play with mortis engine,corpse cart and one unit of archai..so my death wizards got +3 to summon ( I summon harbingers with 4+/5+ ,depends if all units are near the caster) so it's pretty easy summon..immagine summon them in turn 4..they Can change the fight if they got a charge!:)

This is all quite true. I think that the value of the surprise charge is great. 

My only concern is holding onto 240 points till turn 4 for a game deciding charge. The other issue is that at -1 rend most enemy models can shrug off the attacks quite easily. So out of 10 hits the wounds may not be that high.

I definitely think they have their place. But I find it hard to justify them over archai in a matched play scenario. I'll also add that I wish they were better because the models look LOVELY!

ive dreamed of a death lords list with Arkhan and 3 units of morghasts summoning a horde of the dammed to the table. Thematically it's brilliant, but synergy starts to whittle away when looking at morghasts. Hopefully this is corrected in a future battletome.

Depends on the scenario and what you're up against.

I'd say Banshees are usually a good choice, because you can summon them straight into shooting range and they aren't great for combat anyway. They get a lot of benefit from being summoned instead of just deployed normally. You can also use them to grab objectives in Three Places of Power.

Terrorgheists are also good for summoning, again because you can put them into shooting range straight away, and your opponent doesn't get a chance to injure them first. Expensive though, and a high casting value so you either want the sword, or a whole load of casting bonuses.

21 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Terrorgheists are also good for summoning, again because you can put them into shooting range straight away, and your opponent doesn't get a chance to injure them first. Expensive though, and a high casting value so you either want the sword, or a whole load of casting bonuses.

Unfortunately I don't think terrorgheist is summonable any more. :( The version in the generals handbook is flesh eater counts.

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I was planning on Arkhan summoning a unit of Harbingers for hero assassinating purposes. 18" summon range + 3D6 charge range gives them some amazing reach. Good for taking out heroes hiding behind this and that. 

Potentially 24" range if you take him as your general

Archived