Advise for FEC

L.Bromley

Hey guys so I'm attending my first ever AOS tournament next week B&G, now I have only ever played one 500 point game up to now and am still currently painting like mad for the event, nothing quite like going balls deep!!

I would really appreciate some advise on the three different lists I have knocked together, if they are shocking please tell me, and although I completely expect to loose every game I would like to get better as the tournament goes on an if the list can help that then even better. So list one: the all rounder.

Ghoul king on zombie dragon (red fury & ring of immortality) unless Ben comps it after his feelings towards it.

Ghoul king on terrorghiest (ring of immortality)

vargulf

haunter

6 x horrors

3 x horrors

20 x ghouls

10 x ghouls

10 x ghouls

Abbitoir formation

total 2000 points, 10 ghouls currently being painted.

list two is more reliant on ghoul patrol, although not sure how this works with the escalation scenario:

GKoZD (same as above)

GKoTG (same as above)

vargulf

crypt ghast

6 x horrors

30 x ghouls

10 x ghouls

10 x ghouls

ghoul patrol

total 1920 points, could add an additional crypt ghast. 20 ghouls needed to be painted, an maybe another ghast.

Final list is a bit more aggressive ( at least I think so)

1 haunted ( ruler of the night / supernatural horror- I can't decide)

GKoZD (ring)

GKoTG (ring)

vargulf

6 x horrors

6 x horrors

30 x ghouls

Abbatoir formation

total 2000 points. 3 horrors need painting.

Any help or insight would be greatly received, please give as many hints an tips at where I have gone wrong.

thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, L.Bromley said:

Hey guys so I'm attending my first ever AOS tournament next week B&G, now I have only ever played one 500 point game up to now and am still currently painting like mad for the event, nothing quite like going balls deep!!

I would really appreciate some advise on the three different lists I have knocked together, if they are shocking please tell me, and although I completely expect to loose every game I would like to get better as the tournament goes on an if the list can help that then even better. So list one: the all rounder.

Ghoul king on zombie dragon (red fury & ring of immortality) unless Ben comps it after his feelings towards it.

Ghoul king on terrorghiest (ring of immortality)

vargulf

haunter

6 x horrors

3 x horrors

20 x ghouls

10 x ghouls

10 x ghouls

Abbitoir formation

total 2000 points, 10 ghouls currently being painted.

list two is more reliant on ghoul patrol, although not sure how this works with the escalation scenario:

GKoZD (same as above)

GKoTG (same as above)

vargulf

crypt ghast

6 x horrors

30 x ghouls

10 x ghouls

10 x ghouls

ghoul patrol

total 1920 points, could add an additional crypt ghast. 20 ghouls needed to be painted, an maybe another ghast.

Final list is a bit more aggressive ( at least I think so)

1 haunted ( ruler of the night / supernatural horror- I can't decide)

GKoZD (ring)

GKoTG (ring)

vargulf

6 x horrors

6 x horrors

30 x ghouls

Abbatoir formation

total 2000 points. 3 horrors need painting.

Any help or insight would be greatly received, please give as many hints an tips at where I have gone wrong.

thanks in advance.

I've played with both ghoul kings in a game like your lists and felt it wasn't needed. You have the right mindset to give them the ring of course. Especially since they heal d3 afterwards each turn to become more of value.

I would free up one and place a necromancer for one unit to hit twice. Maybe a vampire lord to give them +1 more attacks (if you spam more ghouls). in addition not a fan of horrors, but possibly cause I havent fielded them enough - I know flayers people like cause of mortal wounds.

Also maximize units, 10 ghouls doesn't do enough output. And for horrors stick to 6 per unit. I like your aggressive list personally.

Good start and glad to see another FEC fan!

I really like the necromancer, the only issue is I was hoping to play mono FEC, I know I'm capping myself in doing this, sad face!! I agree ten man ghoul units are probably useless but it was just to fill BL requirements. I have magnetised all the horror arms so I could paint up all the flyer wings if the common consciences is that they are vastly better.

3 hours ago, L.Bromley said:

I really like the necromancer, the only issue is I was hoping to play mono FEC, I know I'm capping myself in doing this, sad face!! I agree ten man ghoul units are probably useless but it was just to fill BL requirements. I have magnetised all the horror arms so I could paint up all the flyer wings if the common consciences is that they are vastly better.

No worries man! Play what you like! Hopefully FEC will eventually get it's own buffs for just sticking to them! Yea give the flyers a shot, again - play what you like! Have fun!

5 hours ago, L.Bromley said:

I have magnetised all the horror arms so I could paint up all the flyer wings if the common consciences is that they are vastly better.

In my experience they aren't better than horrors. Horrors can hit like a ton of bricks if buffed correctly and are cheaper. Flayers do mortal wounds and are fast but beyond that they aren't great. 

21 minutes ago, L.Bromley said:

I think I'm gonna stick with the horrors, I guess if you just look at the averages they will slightly come out on top. Which list do you guys think is most competitive for a novice? Or should I just start from scratch

First and foremost, play with the models you like and enjoy painting.  With that said, I like list number 3 for a novice player.  All of the units have a very straight forward play style and role in the army.  I agree with

@AlexanderHemedinger that having both GKoZD and GKoT might be overkill.  I would consider dropping GKoT and adding a Ghoul King on foot, Crypt Ghast, and 2x10 Ghoul units.  If your single Varghulf goes down your Ghoul healing is gone and makes you extremely vulnerable. The Ghoul King on foot allows you to play more aggresively with your GKoZD and Horrors while providing support to 30 man Ghoul unit with Crypt Ghast. Use the 10 man Ghoul units to sit on objectives in your deployment zone or to screen your heavy hitters setting up counter charges for them.

I've been using a very similar list with good results.

Best of Luck!

18 minutes ago, Robert Reid said:

First and foremost, play with the models you like and enjoy painting.  With that said, I like list number 3 for a novice player.  All of the units have a very straight forward play style and role in the army.  I agree with

@AlexanderHemedinger that having both GKoZD and GKoT might be overkill.  I would consider dropping GKoT and adding a Ghoul King on foot, Crypt Ghast, and 2x10 Ghoul units.  If your single Varghulf goes down your Ghoul healing is gone and makes you extremely vulnerable. The Ghoul King on foot allows you to play more aggresively with your GKoZD and Horrors while providing support to 30 man Ghoul unit with Crypt Ghast. Use the 10 man Ghoul units to sit on objectives in your deployment zone or to screen your heavy hitters setting up counter charges for them.

Best of Luck!

@Robert Reid as the right idea. The ghoul king on foot still provides the bonuses you need. Not to mention if you want to be cheesy, you can pick that one from the death book which the command ability allows +1 to hit. Much more fun than the FEC book version. Again play what you like and think will work! Happy gaming!

Cheers guys, loads of great advise, I don't own the GA:death book so unaware of that particular Ghoul King (I can't find him on the app), as for the necromancer I'm really undecided?? Was looking at dropping the vargulf an the formation an trade it for a ghoul king on foot and a crypt ghast but I'm unsure if this make the army better overall.

1 hour ago, Robert Reid said:

Best of Luck!

I play GKoTG and GKoDZ both in the same list at 1500pt and I'm thinking about adding a third one on 2k pt using the Royal Managerie...^^

12 hours ago, L.Bromley said:

Cheers guys, loads of great advise, I don't own the GA:death book so unaware of that particular Ghoul King (I can't find him on the app), as for the necromancer I'm really undecided?? Was looking at dropping the vargulf an the formation an trade it for a ghoul king on foot and a crypt ghast but I'm unsure if this make the army better overall.

Took a screenshot for you. Forgot the old ability also can give an extra MeLee attack like vampire lord haha. 

And command ability is not only plus one to hit, but plus one to wound also.

20161116_041949.jpg

Well I was gonna say that I put some thought into my list an I need to stop thinking overly competitive, I still have only played one game and with just over a week to go I still have some horrors to paint, ten ghouls and base the entire army. I think I'm gonna go with simplicity rather then complexed synergy (I understand I'm nerfing myself with this choice) but I think list three is gonna win me over, all units are good in combat, all good at holding an objective, yes I'm light on numbers but being such a novice I don't consider this a bad thing for both myself and my opponent.

the old ghoul king has just thrown a minor spanner in the works, he is amazing, just a quick question on this, when a battle tome gets released does it replace the old warscrolls?

the old ghoul king has just thrown a minor spanner in the works, he is amazing, just a quick question on this, when a battle tome gets released does it replace the old warscrolls?

In a tournament, the newer scroll should be used (either because of good sportsmanship or because the pack will say to use the new Warscroll), especially for something so broken. If you rocked up at a tournament and tried to use the old scroll for a Balewind Vortex for example - expect to see it splinter into pieces on the wall.

TL:DR, only read TS post.

I would suggest drop the terroghiest, take only the ghoul king on foot and ghoul king in ZD. (Red fury goes well with chaos blade)

stick to either horrors or flayers for easy handling.

make them into 3 unit of 6, back by 3 courtier.

strengths are mobility and regen, useful against most unit, easy to handle and remember your unit abilities?

1 hour ago, Nico said:

In a tournament, the newer scroll should be used (either because of good sportsmanship or because the pack will say to use the new Warscroll), especially for something so broken. If you rocked up at a tournament and tried to use the old scroll for a Balewind Vortex for example - expect to see it splinter into pieces on the wall.

I know I'm quite the hated person :)

Archived