BasetheRuin vs. Stormcast & Khorne

BasetheRuin

Hi guys!

Everybody has probably seen these minis a thousand times, but I still thought I'd share them with you. WIP shots of my fresh Stormcast form the Age of Sigmar starter set. This summer I finally caved in and bought the starter at my FLGS. The WIP pics are taken with my Iphone, but I hope to use a real camera once everything is finished.

In the (not so) foreseeable future, I also plan to do the Khorne part. They will join my unit of Chaos Knights (pics included) I finished just before the old World met its end last year. Back then, I was totally distraught (well, as distraught as ons can get over little plastic soldiers from a fantasy world). But now, having felt the joy of painting the new minis, I can't wait to delve deeper in the Nine Realms! 

I must say, I LOVED painting the Stormcast. The quality of these new generation miniatures is just astounding. I'm doing them in one big batch of eighteen minis, so I could use my airbrush to maximum effect. The gold was a three part affair using the Vallejo Game Air range:

- Base layer of brassy brass over chaos black primer

- First highlight bright bronze

- Finally Glorious Gold.I plan to add more contrast using GW Auric Armor and some more washes.

Until next time! And let the meat grinder grind on..

8jao5vl.jpg

The green, blue and bone on the Dracoth is almost done. Just some highlights left do. Green is Incubi Darkness base, then the other Dark Eldar named green (keep forgetting the name). I added some gloss varnish to the mouth.

woit9ny.jpg

Tdolgcd.jpg

Batch painting!

And my Chaos Knights, still waiting to be rebased:

ZxrGAIv.jpg

952vLzU.jpg

O31Qq0a.jpg

QvysGPQ.jpg

VQtKeQ3.jpg

ZPEL6pd.jpg

Edited by BasetheRuin
  • Like 19
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thans for the kind words guys (and sorry for the slow reply). It was a big batch to paint in one go, took me the best part of fout months. I don't think I'll do that again soon, you miss the rewarding feeling of completing smaller batches of models.

But, they are all finished now, i'll try to get some proper pics up this weekend!

Let the meat grinder grind on..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Alright fellow dark passengers, as promised some pictures :) 

Snagged the old Canon camera from my girlfriend and took some better pics of the finished Stormcast. Eternals. Must say the set was a blast to paint, with the Lord Celestant and the Relictor as my favorites. The only tiresome part were the wings on the prosecutors.. after a failed attempt doing it Duncan Rhodes style, I just got the airbrush and finished them the easy way.

MtMeWtL.jpg

YDmfw7y.jpg

RT4Z8nY.jpg

g6a0GoC.jpg

yBn8kQZ.jpg

Q6iZ6mJ.jpg

LSASSpK.jpg

iIPyfbw.jpg

Edited by BasetheRuin
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a small update. I've started on the Khorne part of the starter box, wanting to try and finish the entire box. Which would be a first for me. Most of the starter boxes I've bought over the years have been half finished, neglected, or traded away, be it fantasy or 40k.

But no longer! (I hope :)) The quality of the AoS starter is that good. First up, the Khorgorath, which I converted a little because the original face.. well guess I like the weirdness of it, but it's also a bit messy and hard to make out. I've put chains on him as a little nod to the old Chaos 40k dreadnought background, being chained to the ship's hull in between battles. 

qnyHKr9.jpg

And a head swap on the lord because I like the more classic Chaos Warrior look on him.

wJRZzkv.jpg

Edited by BasetheRuin
  • Like 6

• 6 months later...

Aha! It's time do resurrect this thread. I've been picking up the brush again lately, with the aim of finishing the whole of the AoS starter set this summer.  Yes, the whole set! My aim is to get some of my friends and possibly my little brother (well, he's 34) to play the game. And as I like both factions, It'd be a nice base for collecting both armies in the long run.

I got inspired by a blog post by Mengel miniatures on painting skin with washes on white primer. It's the perfect way to get through all these Khorne guys with (some) speed.

Well, enough talking, here is some (crappy) in progress pics I took with my iPhone. This guy only has a coat of white primer and 2 coats of Reikland fleshshade on him (and Seraphim Sepia for the banding, Agrax for the fur). Looks quite good already! NO amount of effort is required for this :)

lVrOn8r.jpg

And another one, this time with one coat of Reikland:

zdIPJtT.jpg

Mass production!

aLJ9gg4.jpg

Edited by BasetheRuin
Edit: spelling
  • Like 4

And because I couldn't resist, I also painted up the Bloodsecrator. As you might notice, I'm basing the Khorne in the same way as I based the Stormcast, to make it look like they are fighting on the same battlefield. I'll take some proper pics of him later.

hV6wqs3.jpg

Edited by BasetheRuin
  • Like 6

Great painting going on here! Those chaos knights are looking awesome with that color scheme. The strong red together with that green spot color makes them look knightly (?), intimidating and old school at the same time.

Lovely vibrant paintjob on the Dracoth too. That head is close to perfect :) 

• Like 1

Great painting going on here! Those chaos knights are looking awesome with that color scheme. The strong red together with that green spot color makes them look knightly (?), intimidating and old school at the same time.
Lovely vibrant paintjob on the Dracoth too. That head is close to perfect [emoji4] 

Thanks a lot Korpur [emoji1303] The red-green is a throwback to one of the first Eavy metal colour schemes for World Eaters. I loved it back then, and still do!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

Since Photobucket royally screwed everybody over including my little plog, I'm transferring all my pics to Imgur. That's the plan in any case. But somehow Photobucket won't let me download my own pics. So I'm going to have to dig them out of my external hard disk which is lying somewhere around the house. 

Anyway, in the mean time here are some new pics of my recently finished Khorgorath, courtesy of Imgur!

lMN5zxn.jpg

82ZMMgV.jpg

5yXAwJ2.jpg

The monster's view from the perspective of it's latest victim.

Edited by BasetheRuin
  • Like 17

Right now I'm working on the Blood Warriors. Painting them bronze (Vallejo Brassy Brass) all over. Then an all over wash with Agrax, followed by a - gasp -dry bush of Auric Armor gold. Got to speed up the process you know! Then, filling up the red areas with Khorne red.

1HgQe8k.jpg

l9SbtqA.jpg

XZaGjeN.jpg

EnwLhyn.jpg

Edited by BasetheRuin
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Callidan said:

Wow just found your blog. Love your work man keep up the great work. Have you finished the Bloodreavers yet?

Thanks mate! The blood reavers are done, just had not taken pics of them yet... but here you go :) Thinking of revisiting some of them eventually (some are a bit shiny thanks to the satin varnish), but I consider them done anyway.\1pcqbky.jpg

uepvgsX.jpg

92OxlWj.jpg

ecqDjUo.jpg

R5th0kU.jpg

bCkJnfc.jpg

zpz5JlC.jpg

ZuBJpSP.jpg

• Like 8