My sylvaneth project

Baardah

Wonderful work! Your choice of spot colours on the blades contrast wonderfully with the mottled textures of the wood and leaves. Great stuff.

I am also a big fan of the bases. They look natural but very mystical, befitting the Sylvaneth. I'd love to know how you did them.

• Like 1

Thanks for kind words. The bases are made as follows. 

Citadel texture paints in "blothces" on the base. Color doesn't matter as I paint over it afterwords. I try to apply it so that there are gaps between each block of texture paint as to create rivers or pools of flat base in between.

I then paint some blotches with incubi darkness and highlight with dry brushing by mixing in fenrisian grey. I finish with pure fenrisian grey. 

Other blotches I paint with death world forest and highlight by mixing in ogryn camo up til pure ogryn camo 

then for the "rivers of energy" I use sotek green and then temple guard blue leaving the dark color on the edges. I then mix temple guard blue 50:50 with white and paint thin lightning streaks. These I highlight with pure white. 

To finish off I place various tufts on the base and some clump foiliage

for larger bases I use cork or bits of pine-bark as stones

• Like 1

Thanks. I bought my second treelord ancient the other day, and asembled him in A different pose to my other one. So now I'm looking forward to paint it. 

On my to do list for this project:

assemble and paint 32 dryads

16 dryads to rebase

paint bases for 2 tree lords and an ancient

Paint 3 kurnoth hunters with scythes 

paint 10 tree revenants

Paint drycha

finish painting Allarielle

rebase 2 branchwraiths

paint and build 2nd brancwytch

so maybe I'll be finished by 2021....

i also want to have 5 more sons of durthu....just for the hell of it...

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Really great subtle use of the Shattered Dominion bases on the dryads. I've been tempted to move my dwarfs over to them for a while and you may just have won me over. :) 

I had to go a few rounds with myself before trying this. I felt at first that the SD bases didn't fit sylvaneth at all, but I decided to try and capture the idea of the realm of life, or alarielles will expanding where the Sylvaneth march...so i covered parts of the bases with texture paint. The idea is that vibrant life is slowly taking over the debris of lost civilizations. With life energy bursting through the cracks in the earth like tiny rivers...

Edited by Baardah
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

A little progress on alarielle after getting distracted from the sylvaneth by other projects....

i think the colors complement eachother Too much. I need a color to break things up a bit, but I'm not shure what color to go for. Maybe just on the leather straps. And the leaves.... would orange break too much?

IMG_1253.JPG.06ab0562f02f801ca3e676d115a30ea7.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic work! I personally wouldn't gloss up the beetle at this point, by large because the highlights applied then stick out as if they shouldnt be where they are. What you can do is go for a satin finish, that's a little bit more glossy as you have no, which will make it stick out nicely but still allows for that comic art effect, which is a really nice effect.

• Like 1

This is a gorgeous looking army, you've done an absolutely wonderful job of capturing both the natural and magical aspects of the Sylvaneth in one paint scheme!

I also wouldn't use gloss varnish on the beetle. Mostly because I'd be afraid it would look too bright and shiny, and distract from Alarielle herself (who should probably be the focal point of the model). 

• Like 1

Thanks for kind words. Maybe ill just add a thin coat of wash diluted with Lahmian medium just to smooth out some of the edge highlights. :)

when alarielle is done I have one more unit of hunters (scythes) and a unit of tree revenants left and it's done. I have one more unit of dryads but I think I'll put that on the shelf for now. On to, or rather back to, wanderers. 

And of course I have a ticket on the KO bandwagon 

Calling the boss lady finished for now...it's not the best image (crappy iPhone photo) as she didn't fit in my light box...the highlights on the beetles horns come of as a lot starker than they really are...

IMG_1424.JPG.d73dfe4722d24cc9a5ba630783d19754.JPG

Edited by Baardah
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...