The Brets go to war

Fireymonkeyboy

Hi all,

In a couple weeks, the local G-Dub is running a 2000 point narrative event.  We bring lists prepped with points from the GH, but are told to expect non-matched play / realmbook / narrative scenarios (i.e., not necessarily intended to be balanced).  I figured I'd take my Brets out for their first public showing post-points.

The list I think I'm taking is:

List A:  1980 points

Hero: Bretonnian Lord 

-          General

-          Legendary Fighter (+1A)

-          Obstinate Blade (+1 Rend)

Hero:  Louen de Leoncour 

Hero:  Damsel on Pegasus 

Hero:  Mounted Damsel 

Hero:  Paladin Standard 

Battleline:  16 Knights of the Realm 

Battleline: 10 Freeguild Archers 

Battleline: 10 Freeguild Archers 

Artillery:  1 Field Trebuchet 

5 Mounted Yeomen 

3 Pegasus Knights

The alternative, List B, splits the KotR, drops a damsel, and upgrades one unit of Freeguild archers to Peasant bowmen.  The peasant bowstar is fun, but I'm really keen to try out the big unit of KotR, and love mages, so likely this is the list.

I've got some of the stuff I've learned is necessary in AoS:  a reasonable selection of chaff / buffer units, good overall mobility (3 flying units, and the majority of the army has cavalry move or better.  I've got some ranged support in the Treb, and the archers, and what should be a hammer unit in the knights.  Although the Lord isn't super tough, he can lay out a beating, and I've got lots of characters for objective grabbing and general shenanigans.

Louen will be on his first outing, ever.  Oldhammer I wasn't a fan of the uber character, but I really want to see what he can do (as he looks like a hard case).  I'm sold on the damsels, as a 5+ ward is solid, and I like redundancy.  The knights will likely be awkward, but if I can get them in, will put a thrashing on most things.  

Basic plan is to keep the hammer units (knights, Louen, Lord) behind a peasant screen, so I can pick my charges, use the Damsels to buff / protect as needed, while the Treb and Peg Knights problem solve around the battlefield.  Once targets stall on the speedbumps, I send in the hitters to do the killing.

Any thoughts on problems to anticipate, things I don't expect?  Given the list, for what should I watch out?

FMB

Having run brets quite alot in AOS ill say the following.

1. I would reccommend some chaff for games any longer than 3 turns as you will need them to cover your Knights retreatso that they can charge again.

2. Grail knights dont look all that at first glance but they buff up to something stupid quite easily. Only real problem is for some reason their attack profile is only 1" :(

3. The Paladin standard bearer is redundent if you take care of louen. So it depends how you are going to use him.

4. If you do alter any of the above consider the green knight as a cheaper replacement of louen. He is stupidly difficult to get off the board. And then comes back again he is a lovely blend of one man uber tarpit and mage/warmachine hunter.

Finally. Louen is a hard case pure and simple. His basic combat stats may be fairly average for a monster rider but his abilities are second to non. Particularly no battle shock. Would have him as a General though as he effectivly negates the need for the bret lords Command ability and his own makes Knights even more powerful.

Good Luck!

KKH:

1. Archers and Yeomen are intended as chaff - I"m struggling in list building as I don't have MaA, and our battleline units aren't cheap.  Any recommendations for alternatives?  Probably won't pick them up in time, but longer term, might be useful.

2.  Yeah - I'll eventually try both grails and QKs - I have a ton of the latter, and I like how they keep their 3+ to wound over time.

3.  Yep.  But it's a fav model, and I want to run as much painted as I can.  Eventually he may operate as a "counts as" standard in a grail unit or something.

5162662344_297cd57725_z.jpg017 by Markus Sharaput, on Flickr

RE: 4 - Louen's ability doesn't seem to depend on his being the general - it just happens.  I figured I'd make the Lord the general as a back up, since Louen will be taking the heat anyway.  Am I reading him wrong?

FMB

What i meant was he nulls battleshock without being your general for all free people (Great if you have any peasants in the army) but his Command ability +1 to hit rolls. Brets have enough charge bonus imo.

I can see why you'd want to field that model its beautifully done you should be proud.

Well its certainly useful as it means you can attack with louen without fear of completely losing battleshock cover.

No not wrong. But while is combat skills are good he still falls short compared to the other behemoth riders (Particularly the new ones). His real value is that he has the ability to protect himself aswell as a host of abilities that cover a number of angles (Dispel, Shield, Monster slaying, Healing, Army Buffs)

For this reason i field him in a more balanced way. I can have him as my commander. But i dont have to worry about his safety and keep him away from the battle. I would have him following the main bulk of your forces. So long as he dosent lead the charge himself and is always backed up you should be able to spot dangers and get him out of the way before he is taken out.

But that is my oppinion and i haven't ran him not as my commander. Give it a go you'll soon know if it works for you.

Well the thing about allegiance is that it makes desirable units into battleline. But in this instance i think the knights are better off not as Battleline. In which case you may be better off exploiting the free people allegiance.

2 hours ago, KHHaunts said:

2 hours ago, KHHaunts said:

What i meant was he nulls battleshock without being your general for all free people (Great if you have any peasants in the army) but his Command ability +1 to hit rolls. Brets have enough charge bonus imo.

Well the thing about allegiance is that it makes desirable units into battleline. But in this instance i think the knights are better off not as Battleline. In which case you may be better off exploiting the free people allegiance.

Never enough charge bonus ;)  Dunno about the battleline conversion - it's a thing for my Khorne Chaos, but I don't know about Brets - what converts to battleline under these circumstances?

FMB

Sorry what i meant was that ive never felt a need to make Knights of the realm Battleline as i tend to field other units as battle line.

even if i was playing pure brets i would still field a large unit of bowmen and two units of men at arms. Ive never felt the need to take the alligence so i can field MORE knights as i tend to take larger units of them.

And if you dont need to take knights as battleline then there is no point using the alligence you would be better off taking a different one to take advantage of that Battleline instead.

So even though my bret army is mostly brettonian models i technically field it with the Free guild alligence.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Got out today for the narrative event, running the list above, only with Louen as the general.  Lost to Sigmarine Deepstrikers, beat Seraphon with a dread saurian, and lost to Sylvaneth with a big treeman, Durthu, and Alarielle (mostly by misplaying the scenario).  Some so-so pics (had to borrow a camera, and wasn't used to it) and a full report up on the blog:  http://themonkeythatwalks.blogspot.ca/2016/11/learning-for-lady.html

25309363329_07d48e8f49_c.jpgDSCF0092 by Markus Sharaput, on Flickr

Based on the experience:

a) chaff is critical.  I possibly need more.

b) we are desperately short on rend.  In two games, the only things I had to deal with high armour were my lord with rend sword and the Damsels with arcane bolt.  Won the second game because I got them in and used them, lost the third because I didn't.  Where, oh, where, is my -2 rend?

c)  If I ever get the charge off with the big KotR unit, and get them all stuck in, it will be glorious.  But that rarely happens.  They get snagged by a long charge from the opponent, or when they get stuck in, only half the unit fits.  Never quite worked out as I hoped.  Some of this is lack of experiences, but it's also that a unit of 16 cavalry is a little unwieldy.

d) Louen is good, and useful, but not super-tough.  He needs to be used more judiciously.

I also just had some heartbreaker dice rolls - rolled double ones three times on key charges (including one on the Standard bearer, which denied me re-rolls, which cased me to fail other charges).  Got my horse lord into a unit of paladins, which historically he's erased, and he whiffed.

Anyone know of a buff applicable to Brets that adds attacks?

FMB

And only costs what, 600 points?  I might even do it, if they were battleline ;)

I'm sure I'll try him out eventually - I have one of the old Dogs of War "Done Quixhote" models, and will paint him up to serve as a Freeguild general.  I also want to convert up a Bret-style FreeGen on  a Griffon.

FMB

Archived