Units of 3vs6 horros

LJ26

Hey!  I'm sure this has been discussed already but I couldn't find a thread so...  what are your guys thoughts on the best unit size for horrors? If I'm fielding 9 with no "attendants at court " should I do a unit of 9, 6 and 3, or 3 3 3? Personally I find units a of 3 die to quickly to regenerate them. 9 has a ton of wounds but it might be a problem getting them all in combat . 

It depends on the role they will be playing in your army.  Three units of 3 work fine if they are supporting large blocks of Ghouls. I prefer a unit of 6 if they will be your primary hammer unit.  Although, a unit of 9 is very good as both a hammer and an anvil unit.  I recently had a unit of 9 completely wipe out a 20 man unit of Blood Warriors in one round of combat and grind out a Stonehorn in two turns of combat.  The Stonehorn attacked first killing 4 Horrors, which were removed from the back and then the Horrors attacked doing several wounds to it.  In my next Hero Phase, my Varghulf returned 3 back to the unit.  The Ogre player was in shock.  The Horrors continued to stick for another round of combat despite a unit of 3 Yetees joining the fray and subtracting 1 from my to hit rolls.

I personally don't run smaller than units of 6, due to model regeneration, wound allocation, and wound healing. 9 is filthy and almost indestructible. They are totally worth the points too. Especially when you cast black hunger and dense mecabre on them, and use feeding frenzy close by. 

If just 5 of the horrors are in range to attack, that is now 21 attacks that reroll failed hit and failed wounds, do 2 dmg a piece and 3 dmg on wound rolls of 6. Then they attack all over again. Filthy lol

When I'm building my lists, I generally follow a pretty simple formula: X = YZ. X is the unit size, Y is the increment, and Z is the number of points we are playing divided by 1000. So in a 1k game, I'll field units of three horrors. In a 2k game, I'll field units of six. Etc. The only exception is that if a unit has a battalion strength (or similar) rule, I'll always field it at the minimum size to get the benefit - so, for example, I almost never bring fewer than twenty ghouls in a squad, even if it's in a 1k game, though I might if I need a third unit to qualify for ghoul patrol or another battalion.

The thing about Flesh Eaters is that you need your units to have enough bodies to survive long enough for your courtiers to restore their numbers. Every time I've brought three horror squads to a 2k game, I've regretted it.

5 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

When I'm building my lists, I generally follow a pretty simple formula: X = YZ. X is the unit size, Y is the increment, and Z is the number of points we are playing divided by 1000. So in a 1k game, I'll field units of three horrors. In a 2k game, I'll field units of six. Etc. The only exception is that if a unit has a battalion strength (or similar) rule, I'll always field it at the minimum size to get the benefit - so, for example, I almost never bring fewer than twenty ghouls in a squad, even if it's in a 1k game, though I might if I need a third unit to qualify for ghoul patrol or another battalion.

The thing about Flesh Eaters is that you need your units to have enough bodies to survive long enough for your courtiers to restore their numbers. Every time I've brought three horror squads to a 2k game, I've regretted it.

I'm not quite agree about warscroll battalion, using the minimum to go through the artifacts...I don't find it convenient. I prefer to see the advantage related in the list I have the idea about. The artifacts can be useful, but not necessarily a must

2 minutes ago, deynon said:

I'm not quite agree about warscroll battalion, using the minimum to go through the artifacts...

It's not for the artifacts. For me, it's usually because ghoul patrol can be devastating if used correctly. A unit of ten ghouls regenerating d6 per turn (plus however many more I can get from a nearby courtier) can really ****** with your opponent's plans, even in a 1k game. At 2k, though, I'm likely to bring twenty and thirty strong units.

4 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

It's not for the artifacts. For me, it's usually because ghoul patrol can be devastating if used correctly. A unit of ten ghouls regenerating d6 per turn (plus however many more I can get from a nearby courtier) can really ****** with your opponent's plans, even in a 1k game. At 2k, though, I'm likely to bring twenty and thirty strong units.

I'm the first to use units who enters from borders and sunmoning but still I find the ghoul patrol only a "normal" warscroll battalion

1 hour ago, Oppenheimer said:

My rule of thumb is never field a unit at minimum size if you plan on using its ability to regenerate models. If you plan on doing that 2x minimum unit size is new minimum.

I partially agree, if youmsee them like masses, but I also value their versatility, and sometimes being too big size can be a problem. 

2 hours ago, Oppenheimer said:

My rule of thumb is never field a unit at minimum size if you plan on using its ability to regenerate models. If you plan on doing that 2x minimum unit size is new minimum.

Agreed, if you can afford it. And ghouls definitely peak at 30, not 20, because that gives you a little leeway between casualties and losing your battalion strength benefit.

I have almost always run 6 Horrors, but I rarely find them to do much (probably just because I suck).  They tend to not weather hits very well, although they can tank a bit with 4 wounds apiece, but their damage output against anything that has a decent save plummets because they have no rend.  I honestly think I just don't know how to play FEC.  I find they can't hold anything, can't weather attacks, and can't hit back against anything that isn't garbage troops.

I am tempted to field two units of 3 on opposite sides to support my larger ghoul units, that might be an interesting technique to try, but I'm wondering if Flayers are in general just a better option since they have shooting (weak as it may be), rend plus a chance for mortal wounds, one more attack IIRC and can fly so they aren't impeded by things.

I just had a 9 horror unit take down a frost Lord on stonehorn to 1 wound(he would have died but he got an extra wound from his battalion I think) in 1 round of combat. I used vamp Lord on foot command ability to give them extra attacks but I might swap him for necromancer for VDM. 

Archived