Grand Congregation of Nurgle my next 'competitive' army?

Percivael

I've been toying for a while now with a Grand Congregation of Nurgle matched play list based on the fluff and illustrations from Quest for Ghal Maraz - that is an army that combines Pestilens, Nurgle Daemons and Beastmen - sorry no room for rot bringers in this one. To be honest my prime concern is a great looking army - I'm no tactical genius, but I'm not going to pass up on Plague Drones. I'm interested in getting a flavour of that insanity and variety but within the confines of 2000 points. Anyway it's Pestilens at its core and the other units, though possibly making up the numbers in the case of the Gors, are there for mostly aesthetic reasons. That said, any suggestions on uses of units or relevant alternatives would be appreciated.

The Disciples of the Yellow Stench

Leaders

Plague  priest

Herald of Nurgle

Leader/Behemoths 

Verminlord Corruptor - general

Plague Furnace

Behemoths

Jabberslyth

Battleline 

10 Gors

10 Gors

10 Plague Bearers

Artillery

Plagueclaw Catapult 

Other

20 Plague Monks

20 Plague Monks

3 Dragon Ogres

3 Plague Drones

5 Plague Censer Bearers

Battalion

Congregation of Filth

total 2000

Simple tactical justification - Corruptor - magic and buffs, Plague Furnace, mortal wounds, resilience and buffs, Herald of Nurgle- Daemon synergy. Gors - relatively resilent numbers, Plague Bearers - resilience, Plagueclaw ranged rend wounds,  Monks - numbers and stacked attacks, Drones - all rounders. Jabberslythe - bargain kamikaze monster( that looks really ill and deranged for theme) 3 Dragon ogres with crushers - bit of a wild card but I love the models and would add to the look of chaotic variety- thinking of modelling them with greenstuff hoods to look leperous.

Hi there!

I too have a Nurgle themed army, deamons, slaves to darkness, rot bringers and pestilens. I think the first problem here is that plague monks are only battleline in a clan pestilens army. My understanding may not be complete, but I believe the army has to have 'pestilens' allegiance. 

7 minutes ago, shinankoku said:

Hi there!

I too have a Nurgle themed army, deamons, slaves to darkness, rot bringers and pestilens. I think the first problem here is that plague monks are only battleline in a clan pestilens army. My understanding may not be complete, but I believe the army has to have 'pestilens' allegiance. 

Hi! Yes that's right. That's why I've got the Gors and Plague Bearers as Battleline and the monks come under 'other'. Like I said It's a legal list, perhaps not the most effective, but in this case lore is the law!

I like the idea of building up something around the Blightguard battalion. Looks very tanky...of course it has to be since nurgle has no speed or range 

The lack of speed is why I was thinking summoning could be handy.

Of course nurgle Knights or marauder horsemen could be interesting additions for having something to keep the enemy busy while the blight guard move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May be worth grabbing Epidemus.  I'm sure its common knowledge by now, but his Tally will count with all Nurgle things - including your Plague Monks/Censer Bearers/Plagueapult and maybe your Verminlord (can't remember if he's keyword Nurgle).  Your magic, mortal wounds and catapult shoul get that tally up quick.  Then that should boost the strength of the army up just a little more.  It also gives two character priorities now, as losing your general will drop the 5++, but if Epidemus is also on the board the opponent may need to decide who to take down first and if you loose one, you still have buffs from the other.

I haven't done much competitive play yet.  You could also look at swapping Marauders for Gor which will save you 40 points total and also benefit from your Harbinger of Decay.

That said, I'd love to just bring an army that was more about looking great and varied then worrying about synergy.  I too have a rather large Chaos collection from all of the factions so your list does inspire that "Grand Chaos Horde" feel that we all want to play, but sometimes get lured away from due to competative play and synergy!

Goodluck!

Edit: Just to comment again on the Gor, they can get nasty when you're running the formations and with other Brayherd characters around, but I think without either, they'll be not great.  They are really fast though, so that could help to get them to objectives.  Marauders, on the other hand, will benefit from the Harbinger/Epidemus, and save you points.  But Gor are pretty models.  I mainly play Brayherd, so I have a soft spot for 'em!

Food for thought. Many thanks. Yeah I love the Gors - it was a toss up between Beastmen and Dark Elves for me a couple of years ago - I went for Dark elves. I finished painting the army just in time for Age of Sigmar! I took my rebased dark elves to the Facehammer GT and they were rubbish! Seriously, in one battle against Nurgle Daemons they failed to destroy one unit so I scored zero kill points! I wish I went for Beastmen now as they are actually quite tasty now, especially with that Wildstalker Brayherd Battalion.   I want my new army to be slightly more competitive this time but am torn between collecting cool models and sticking to one faction to make the most of synergies. I only own the Pestilens Virulent Horde box set so far so I am flexible with the rest for the time being. I may just go for pure Pestilens- quite fancy that old Foulrain Congregation!

I've been looking at ways to combine the God-Keywords to Slaves of Darkness to make a better force. 

I'm thinking that was kinda the way it's meant to happen since Slaves is a blank canvas.

Soul-Grinder×Khorne buffs? Yeah. Chosen+Khorne/Slaanesh. The Warshrine is great for everything no matter what you do. Tanky Chaos Warriors+Nurgle. 

I'm tossing around a lot of list ideas right now lol

Archived