How viable are Malignants as a stand alone army?

Sybirdmclightningflash

Hey I have recently decided to start playing Age of Sigmar and i've picked what grand alliance I want to go with (Death obviously) but now the trouble is deciding what sub faction I want to base my army around. I love the look of the ghostly models and the malignant keyword seems to work better than nighthaunt as it includes everything nighthaunt includes plus Coven thrones and Mortis engines. But my problem is having never played a game of AoS, looking at the rules alone doesn't give me the best idea about how it perform on the battlefield. 

So my question to you more experienced players is, Can I build an army using only malignants that can win some games? (it doesn't have to be great but Just want to know I won't lose every game)

and a side question, Do you think that when they release a battletome it will be Malignants or Nighthaunt? (I lean toward Malignant due to the start collecting set.)

You can build a Nighthaunt allegiance army, in which case Spirit Hosts will be Battleline. You can include black coach, Mourngul, Hex Wraiths. Take Cairn Wraith and Banshees, consider giving one of them Master of the Black Arts so you can use Mystic Shield.

The Malignants box comes with a Mortis Engine, which does not have the Nighthaunt keyword, so it remains to be seen if they make a cross faction battle time. 

I'm not sure how competitive it would be but I think it sounds fun - I am planning a Nighthaunt army myself :)

Viable: yes.

Coherent: no.

As @Tronhammer NZ mentioned, the Start Collecting! box is weird - it includes a big (gorgeous) centerpiece model that you can't actually use in a Nighthaunt army. The whole faction is weird. It's got no native wizards (though you can make your general a hero with the Master of the Black Arts command trait) and a (really ugly) model that only gets remotely good when it is quickly buffed by a lot of nearby spellcasting. It's got two great heroes, but neither of them has a native command ability (in a faction where Inspiring Presence is pretty much useless).

In other words... it's a mess. A playable mess, but definitely a mess.

Deathrattle is nearly as weird, by the way, with a Start Collecting! box that includes an out-of-faction model and almost no variety... but at least you don't actually have hanging threads and non-synergies!

I'm pretty sure that Nighthaunt is going to see a major overhaul when it's book is released. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy into it, of course, because I doubt that any of the models are going to disappear! Though I wouldn't buy a black coach if I were you - the model is such total ****** that I'd bet money it either drops into the compendium and goes OOP or gets a resculpt.

All that said, you don't need to stay within one faction. You only need to worry about Battleline units if your group is going matched play. You can otherwise take what you like!

If you are doing Matched play you can by all means take the Malignant themed army, but you will need skeletons/zombies/ghouls to fill out your force and meet the minimum Battleline requirements.

Have fun and go with the "rule of cool"!

11 minutes ago, Tronhammer NZ said:

If you are doing Matched play you can by all means take the Malignant themed army, but you will need skeletons/zombies/ghouls to fill out your force and meet the minimum Battleline requirements.

IMHO, skeletons are the best generic battleline. Zombies are best with corpse cart support and ghouls want to hang out near a ghoul king (who in turn has spells that only buff MORDANTs), but skeletons self-buff with proximity to any DEATH HERO.

In my experience, Nighthaunt units work best as a complement to your army, rather than as a standalone army. Of course, this depends on how large a force you are looking at - a small Nighthaunt force could certainly do well. However, as your force gets larger, the lack of synergies, magic and command abilities will start to really hurt you.

I would consider starting out with a few Nighthaunt units, then expanding the army with some Zombies, Skeletons or Vampires.

1000 points of Nighthaunt is about enough for me. I've put together a banshee, 5 hexwraiths, 6 spirit hosts and a Mornghul in the past couple of months, it's been a fun project and an army of ghosts is a super cool theam.  But I think i've had enough of building these kits.  I'm more excited to work on other models in the Death range, at least until the Nighthaunt battle tome comes out or i have a great idea for a Mornghul conversion.

Im fielding a malignants themed army currently. However as mentioned above ive also included deathrattle in there and am going for a "No Skin" rule in my army.:

that means my necromancer has been converted to a liche, my vampire lord on dragon is using a converted manfredd model to be a wight king and Arkhan currently stands as lord and master of the army.

Everything that is not a summoning based lord has been painted in an ethreal theme (Not just boring nikalh oxide but like the hexwraiths you see in the app)

I love my army and its getting better all the time. The Malignants are great by themselves to a tend to lean towards a deathrattle alligence and then field my night haunts accordingly:

My OPEN play full army is as follows:

Heros

Arkhan the black

Wight King on Z Drake (Vampire lord)

Mortis Engine

Wight King

Necromancer

4X Cairn wraiths

1X Banshee

Units

X40 Skeleton warriors

X20 Grave Guard

X6 Spirit Hosts

X10 Hex Wraiths

Have even converted some models into ghostly dread knights to proxy as Blood Knights.

But stick with Nighthaunts as a THEME not an Aligence. for now atleast . . . .

52 minutes ago, KHHaunts said:

Im fielding a malignants themed army currently. However as mentioned above ive also included deathrattle in there and am going for a "No Skin" rule in my army.

I think with a lot of Deathrattle and Malignants, and considering that you already are converting a lot of your characters, you should try out using Settra. He is a total badass and will take your army to the next level ;)

Archived